Cabinet (speaker) finishes

Options
So being in the cabinet industry for over 20 years, obviously I’m a sucker for a good finish on a speaker. I’ve seen many different speakers out there with all kinds of finishes, I’m curious what others think are some of the best finishes they have seen?
For me one of the most beautiful cabinets I’ve seen is on a PMC , walnut twenty.23 to be exact.

qiao3k1db9ri.jpeg

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    African Hazelwood, Von Schweikert VR-1, VR-2, VR-4JR.
    e8w9fvkk347d.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    If one does a search for exotic wood speaker finishes the results are damn near endless and far too many nice ones to pick the best.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    No doubt, I guess my curiosity was extended to what we have seen with our eyes and made a lasting impression.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    I'm a simpleton with cabinet finishes... Burl woods and exotics are to busy for me.

I am a sucker for rosewood though

011ctka8d9hx.jpeg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Are those Salk’s? Beautiful
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Tyler acoustics, all uses the same mid bass drivers, seas excel
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    My personal favorite that I have seen in person has been the ProAc Carbon Six in Ebony...
    ebony_2.jpg
    1ebony.jpg

Although, I also have a soft spot in my heart for...

The JBL Everest in Rosewood...
    DSCF4661.jpg

Silverline Sonatina MkI in maple burl (these are actually my speakers...TMR's pictures were way better than anything I have taken since)...
    10329099-4263-6__13931.1510807962.jpg?c=2
    10329099-4263-3__68031.1510807962.jpg?c=2
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    My dad owned a custom kitchen cabinet shop and also made furniture for the family. Almost all of the furniture was walnut, so that presses a lot of my buttons, but I really like some of the lighter woods. The Silverlines above are gorgeous. I also have a soft spot for white oak. Too many beautiful woods!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited December 2018
    Options
    So many veneers, so little money...

When we toured the Salk Speaker factory, he showed the wife and I the precision saws, router tables and vacuum veneer tables along with spray booth. I met the guys that did the work. The highlight of the visit was the veneer vault and seeing different veneers on finished speakers. It would be nice to get a monthly veneer change to experience different ones.

I still love the Black Limba. This was a custom veneer that added a few hundred bucks to cost. It's kind of plain or understated to some, but we still love it.

Salk pic.

60t7219ze8rn.jpg

Actual pic.

p9ywwhw89y0u.jpg

The back side looks as good as the front.

cup706bsl71r.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    I still like these Sonus Faber’s.

mfnf3zq5dsyc.jpeg
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    So many veneers, so little money...

When we toured the Salk Speaker factory, he showed the wife and I the precision saws, router tables and vacuum veneer tables along with spray booth. I met the guys that did the work. The highlight of the visit was the veneer vault and seeing different veneers on finished speakers. It would be nice to get a monthly veneer change to experience different ones.

I still love the Black Limba. This was a custom veneer that added a few hundred bucks to cost. It's kind of plain or understated to some, but we still love it.

Salk pic.

60t7219ze8rn.jpg

Actual pic.

p9ywwhw89y0u.jpg

The back side looks as good as the front.

cup706bsl71r.jpg

Jim brought some of his veneer samples with him when he was here for our home theater crawl and audio GTG back in March 2015. He had some amazingly gorgeous samples and I love that he hand picks every single veneer they use.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    I prefer texture over grain, glitz & gloss. Honest, imperfect, real.

DSC_0231.JPG?format=1000w
    h69yfczhsjyt.jpg
    bx3snur701xv.jpg
    ignqizrrjyou.jpg
    omendirtyweekend42222.jpg
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I always thought this finish was quite attractive:

Dynaudio Contour S1.4 Limited Edition Bubinga
    8353369_boxe-de-raft-dynaudio-contour-s14-limited-edition-bubinga_6.jpg
    68003-3-boxe-de-raft-dynaudio-contour-s1-4-limited-edition.jpg
    https://www.audioweb.ro/uploads/product/large/68003-3-boxe-de-raft-dynaudio-contour-s1-4-limited-edition.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    I"m somewhat partial to the camphor burl on this DIY project from Hungary.

28nqxxyfpabi.jpg
    i5t4ugv7qdk4.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    55fk90ah84jn.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    Options
    Hey Jesse! You ol salty dog, I knew you would participate ;)

Some gorgeous stuff here guys. A lot I have never heard of and so cool to learn more. In my craft, obviously it’s typically kitchens and baths, but I love to see the artistry that goes into speaker cabinets.

I appreciate all of it as it takes some effort to bring these to the final show finish.

Thank You all for sharing and keep em coming!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Malbec wrote: »
    I"m somewhat partial to the camphor burl on this DIY project from Hungary.

28nqxxyfpabi.jpg
    i5t4ugv7qdk4.jpg

Wow! Can you “feel the thunder?” :)
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I can feel the bank account screaming that's for sure.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member