Do ANY salesmen know what the heck they're talking about?

2»

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    I am still trying to find an industrial grade outlet to buy caps from... I'm sure they cost dirt cheap without the name brand stickers ;)

As for a battery... You are running a yellowtop?
    I would suggest a red-top in the rear if you feel like money... they are made for high current drain. As far as caps are concerned... I'd only do it if you have dimming... but buy a new alternator first, and chances are the dimming will go away.

Heck... I'd buy a new alternator before anything else for that matter.. the tops for a factory alt is 45-60 amps if you're lucky.
    You can get an aftermarket one to go to about 120amps.

Other than that get a generator... it's like an alternator, but on steroids. the brandname that comes to mind is Ohio Generator. But this isn't necessary if you dont run 2000 watts or some outlandish number... :D

_jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by nadams
    Why
    if you have a large drain on your electrical system, caps are worthless...they wont do a thing
    im not sure why he doesnt recommend them at all
    but for a small amount of light dimming, only on bass hits--IMO caps are perfect
    they even help your battery last a little longer--most batteries are not meant to be drained or have the voltage going up and down constantly
    caps help prevent that
    alternators are the LAST thing id do unless i knew i was going to be drawing more amps than 2 batteries and a cap could handle
    why?
    2 batteries are cheaper, and not only do they help you out with your system, they help out when starting your vehicle, especially when its cold
    leave your dome light on all night?
    no prob--starts right up
    some ppl have even said its increased the performance of their cars
    but i doubt that--its plausible yes--unless their wiring batteries REALLY sucked before, i doubt youll notice
    also, big alternators suck power from your car
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    n/m
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    I've heard that Ford makes really good alts, especially for a stock factory alt, but I don't know how many amps. Any way I can find out? I don't have a DMM or anything like that, so finding out online is preferable. :)
    No, I don't have a yellow top -yet-. I just have the factory battery. I'd like an Optima, and only one battery, but it's like $140 and for that, I could almost get my 2 channel amp for my MM6's. It's all about priorities...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2004
    For the price of a couple of caps, you can get an upgraded alternator from Ohio Generator. That will do you more good than a cap or battery could ever do. Thom has one and his car runs at 14.1 volts all the time, even with every piece of electrical equipment running.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    not to take away or anything, but doesnt ohio generator's alt. cost around 400 dollars?
    thats more like 7 caps...
    not that i would ever put more than 2 caps in a car...but yeah
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    i run at 13.8 volts w/ all equipment and a measured output of 198 amps from the alt, and it's stock. is this strange?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    what kind of car do you have?
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited May 2004
    Why do I say you dont need a cap.
    1) since its introduction...its not used for what its meant to do 90% of the time.

2) it is a load on the electrical system folks

3) Some pro's have actually proven that caps can hurt your SPL

4) its a band aid...for the way most folks use them... solve the real issue please

Cap's man job is to filter A/C... keep a steady current for an application. With this said...IF you add a cap to a already great elecrical system...i doubt you'd even notice it..unless it was a high end sq! plasebo effect (sp?) come to play a lot of times.

Yes...cap could possibley help with slight dimming...so could upgrading your battery or ubgrading the big 3

If you plan on putting in a ton of crap in your vehicle...be prepaired to fix your electrical system to meet the demands

Heck.. I'd rather spend 130 bux on a second battery then a cap. Battery will work 100% better...
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    well 198 amps from the alternator is a bit odd :confused:

But the reason I reccomend the new alternator.. if indeed yours only will put out maybe 60amps... is that no matter how good the battery or cap or wiring... if you have an amp that draws 60amps power, and have a 60amp alt, you are going to slowly kill your battery.
    For example, my (dead) 700 watt kicker had 3 30amp fuses.... that should tell you something about how badly it eats power...
    Now consider I probably have an alt that may do 40amps or less... If I didnt run a yellowtop, it'd eat my power.

Now also... an alternator ONLY pulls as much power from the engine as the electrical drain demands... so YES, when you have a nice alt, and you crank up those 2000 watts, it will bog a small engine down. If you have a truck (like PBD - Hemi?) Then you won't notice a bit. In fact when I turn on my head and fog lights, it'll bog down my engine.

so consider getting specs for your alt, and upgrading that first, if not, you may be pulling full power across your alternator at all times, and that WILL kill a few of them.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    what kind of car do you have?
    -Cody
    2000 saab 9-3
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs