Insulating garage door

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Pic from the old house:
    9stdggzb453g.jpg
    Nice job. Every winter for the past 15 years I said I was going to do that. Couple of questions:
    1. Did the panels stay on themselves without adhesive or tape of some type?
    2. How did you get the panel behind the braces in the middle....did they just slide through?
    3. Can you do my door? Ill buy you a six pack of your choice and throw in some old Monster speaker cable!😉

I assume the answer to #2 is they were cut to go around them. The markings on the panels seem to indicate that.

Correct.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    No adhesive. They rest behind the flanges around the door panels, and friction fit.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited November 2018
    Ivan, how hard is it to replace the springs myself (remember its me), and would that be all I need to do, or would I need to make adjustments to the garage door motor or anything of that nature?

No need to just go and replace, my point was if and when they do break it might be better to go up in strength a little. IF you have someone out ask them whether they would recommend a little heavier. You may just be able to adjust them tighter to pull up the door a little better for the added weight. aprazer402 doesn't think that 20lbs is much and he is right somewhat. But your door as it sits now is adjusted for that weight with no insulation so adding 20lbs means your opener is now pulling harder on that door to raise it, when it goes down that weight is now pulling on the opener wanting to go down faster. The whole point of the springs is to help the door go up easy and restrict it from racing to the ground

make sense?

I've always been on this mentality. Like head lights replace in pairs when one goes out. Garage door springs are no different. Just as sure as you replace one and pay for the guy to do it 3 weeks later the other will break and another trip and service call bill.

My .02
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Ivan, how hard is it to replace the springs myself (remember its me), and would that be all I need to do, or would I need to make adjustments to the garage door motor or anything of that nature?

Don't do it, Dan! I've seen you around tools! :s

3ho5fk4btqps.jpg
  • Kind of like my neighbor across from me. On a ladder cutting his own limbs bout 15yrs. back. Cut a limb about 30ft. long at the trunk and it knocked him off ladder crippling him for life. Said if he just would've had someone else do it this wouldn't have happened. I saw it happen and it was horriffic, broke just about every bone in his body.

I never even get on my roof anymore after that. Don't screw around if there's a chance you'd get hurt, just pay a door guy and be done with it.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    mrbiron wrote: »
    DO IT, DO IT, DO IT...
    Why adhesive? You can buy from 2-1/2" screws with buttons or washer that will hold the insulation just fine.
    Screw it to the....door panels?
    I think I may have the flu so bear w me!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2018
    To check if your torsion springs may need a few twists, after install open the door 3 feet; it should stay open. If it falls closed, your springs need a little more pressure to account for the new weight. See youtube on how to adjust them.

I recently bought the Owens Corning garage door insulation kit for my shop door--pretty easy project and it made a huge difference. I believe it is R7 value. I'm gonna use the same kit(s) for my attached 3-car garage once I work up the energy.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    If I may ask, why do you have to keep the dogs in the garage ? They obviously haven't been previously, right ? What changed ? Mother in-law staying with you and hates dogs ?

In that case bro, sharpen their teeth and get 'em juiced up on Mountain Dew.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2018
    Tony.... we have 3 dogs now and that takes up darn near half our closet if they are in there. The newest one is a rescue and very print to accidents as he lived his whole life in a shelter so it’s gonna be hard to break him if that.

No other good place to put them and they are not trustworthy enough to leave out.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    A little late to the party here, but Ivan and Steve hit the nail on the head. Springs are there to “help” the opener or human when lifting the door to open and keeping it from slamming back to earth when closing it. A door should be balanced - explained well by Steve a couple posts up. Properly balanced, when the door is about 3’ open it should stay there (without the opener attached.

One question that hasn’t been asked is what type of springs do you have? Older doors just used long springs along (parallel to) the track that can’t be adjusted. Newer doors (probably in the 1980s and beyond) use torsion springs (look like a cylinder at the header along the top of the door with pulleys and cables connected to the door. These can be adjusted. BUT, I agree with everyone here - it could be very dangerous (there’s a reason they put the warnings on them!). I consider myself very handy, and even I won’t take the chances with a torsion spring!
  • EndersShadow
    I think mine is the older version. I have some long spring things IIRC. Will take a pic later tonight.

I may just build a long box (with an open front) out of 2x4 and plywood with a outer layer of Plywood, then insulation, then an inner layer of ply wood and put the crates in there.

I then may get some warming lamps and install one for each cage to help keep them warm. I'd feel better doing warming lamps than running a space heater since well... dont wanna burn the house down.

Maybe put those on a timer or even control them remotely with my phone or something.....

Wouldn't be cheap, but likely cheaper than a tech, but gonna call to get a quote anyway just to see...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Here are the instructions I followed to replace my torsion springs. I actually read the instructions at several sites. I ordered the new springs from a place in the mid west - maybe DDM.

It is one of the repairs that I really felt like eye protection was a GREAT decision. In fact, I would recommend body armor. It's funny that I didn't try DIY stuff much until I reached my 50's and 60's when it is more dangerous.

https://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/replace-garage-door-torsion-springs.phpg70219a3hxtd.jpg

Replacing garage door torsion springs is dangerous because the springs are under tension. If you do not use the right tools and follow safe procedures, you could lose hands, limbs or even your life. You could also damage property. We want your business, but not at the expense of your well being. Doing the job right is your responsibility. If you have any doubts about your ability to safely change your springs, we recommend you hire a professional to repair your garage door. Safety First! Then work.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    newer tech allows the use of a drill for the tension springs instead of the rod and 4 way key. danger can be the same though.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,903
    Tony.... we have 3 dogs now and that takes up darn near half our closet if they are in there. The newest one is a rescue and very print to accidents as he lived his whole life in a shelter so it’s gonna be hard to break him if that.

No other good place to put them and they are not trustworthy enough to leave out.

Say what ? You kept the other 2 in a closet ? Dude....train them man. A dog wants nothing else than to be part of the family, protect it's families space, as in your home. You can train them not to chew stuff up, or crap in the house.

Yeah, accidents will happen along the way but that comes with the territory of owning a dog. It's winter bro, leaving them outside or in a cold garage, c'mon man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    3 dogs two kids and an audio addiction...... Dan is over extended lol
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    There are still new garage doors that use the old-style coil springs on the sides rather than a torsion spring. Got two of 'em in our house, built 2011-2012.

It is exciting when one of those springs breaks -- which they do, sooner or later. Had it happen a couple of times in the previous house. :|

We ultimately had the doors on the old house replaced, and the installers did use torsion springs. I am not 100% sure why they didn't use 'em on this house (price, I am guessing). :p

We do have insulated doors. Our garage is heated, because it is above grade and there's living space (ahem, that'd be my hifi room) above it.

A heated garage is a nice thing. :)
  • pitdogg2
    Back in days of old when those snapped Doc they bounced all over the garage. I think code(in our area anyways) they now must have an arresting cable through the spring to keep it from taking flight and maiming someone. It will sure scare the poooo out of you when they break while you're in the garage. I know !!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    tonyb wrote: »

Say what ? You kept the other 2 in a closet ? Dude....train them man. A dog wants nothing else than to be part of the family, protect it's families space, as in your home. You can train them not to chew stuff up, or crap in the house.

Yeah, accidents will happen along the way but that comes with the territory of owning a dog. It's winter bro, leaving them outside or in a cold garage, c'mon man.

Can't speak for Dan, but our boxer is very well-trained as far as potty and chewing things goes (she will jump in excitement on strangers lol), and she slept in a doggy bed on our master bedroom floor for years. About a year ago she started waking up 2-3 times a night and doing that crazy loud after-bath time shake, and would wake us both up. My wife has trouble getting back to sleep, so into the laundry room she went. Dogs are cave animals, they actually like sleeping in small, dark places once they get used to it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    I think mine is the older version. I have some long spring things IIRC. Will take a pic later tonight.

I may just build a long box (with an open front) out of 2x4 and plywood with a outer layer of Plywood, then insulation, then an inner layer of ply wood and put the crates in there.

I then may get some warming lamps and install one for each cage to help keep them warm. I'd feel better doing warming lamps than running a space heater since well... dont wanna burn the house down.

Maybe put those on a timer or even control them remotely with my phone or something.....

Wouldn't be cheap, but likely cheaper than a tech, but gonna call to get a quote anyway just to see...

Before you posted this I was actually thinking that you should look for a small display model shed at one of the big stores and just insulate it. Wood isn't cheap anymore. By the time you get 2x4s and plywood for three little sheds, you may as well just by one and that way you can completely close it. With it closed, insulated, and three dogs inside, you may not even need a heat source.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2018
    We have two terriers that are well behaved when people are home (our corgi Fox couldn’t GAF about anything). When they (terriers) are left alone they get bored and destroy things. We don’t have a good place to cordon them off either.

They all actually like their crates so it’s not a “sad” thing and they are only crated when we are at work, otherwise all winter they are in the house, they sleep in our beds, and all summer they are outside running around (depending on temp), except for evening/night.

The “closet” was our master closet which is pretty large..... until you put 3 crates in it along the floor.... so it wasn’t a small closet by any means, and it has a window for light too...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    This post keeps reminding me to get my doors insulated. dammit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    @EndersShadow don't know if you own or rent...

Best investment I ever made was an underground doghouse.... My dogs come In alot but stay out alot...

They love it hot or cold, been there three years with no issues and they literally live down there

hysdjxm94ro1.jpg
    7ofa2rn0aeps.jpg
    xn1tvnrdnz0v.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    @VR3

Unless something changes (in a REEEALLY BAD WAY), we own lol.

I may take a look at that, however it would likely still be an issue in winter with snow and frozen ground I would think....
  • VR3
    edited November 2018
    Actually, I've done alot of research on this, back prior to my purchase

Underground is much much warmer in the winter and much much cooler in the summer...

What happens is my dogs go in the cave, approx 4 ft below ground, and push the cedar bedding over the opening and leave a small space at the top and they huddle up in there... Easily sustains low teen temperatures without problem. In the morning you come out to them exploding from cedar shavings at the opening happy as can be... I'm telling you, it has been a tremendous purchase for me. They absolutely love it as dogs naturally burrow to stay warm or cool
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2018
    That is cool as all get out Trey!
    I never knew there was such a thing. The things i learn on here.

Nice bulldog by the way
  • EndersShadow
    @VR3

Link please
  • VR3
    https://www.mfgservs.com/underground-dog-houses

This is who I purchased it from, it looks as if they discontinued it...hate I even brought it up now... The entire enclosure was actually extremely affordable, I want to say it was like 250 plus freight, which was up there... But they are alot closer to you than I am... I would Call them and see if you could entice them to make one...

If I ever move from. Here I will dig that thing up. And bring it with me...

There is one that floats around Facebook that is like 100 bucks but no where near as cool.

When I have a spare moment, I'll see if there is anything similar
  • VR3
    Appreciate it, he is my outside only dog. I adopted him from my sister in law... He was crammed in a little kennel due to his brute strength... But let's just say me and him get along fine and he is my little tank hahaha

He gets alot real well with my other male dog but my female. Hates him, which is fine because she stays inside due to a skin condition.

• rooftop59
    I am also very intrigued Trey! We have one boxer but the kids want another puppy!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1