Oppo 205 going in for service

pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all. I got this Oppo when they were going out of business from the thread that @Toolfan66 started I was lucky enough to get one. So I've had this thing a couple of months now and the last 2 weeks I've noticed a buzz in the right Channel. I switched out interconnects I've tried a different preamp I've done everything to isolate it. It keeps coming back to the player. So I guess I'll give Oppo a call and see what I need to do to get it in for service hopefully it won't get damaged in shipping hopefully it is it's an easy fix and right back to me. Funny thing is it is just at start up. I have left in on doesn't matter the first few minutes of signal going through it crackle and buzz then it is fine. Freakin drives my nuts.
Bummed to say the least :'(:'(:'(

Comments

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    That suc\<s, I’m sure they will take care of it, you are the only person I know that has had to send theirs in, I have owned 5 players, and have never had an issue...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I had to send one in when it crashed while loading new firmware.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited October 2018
    So are you just using the analog outs for music only or does it also do it using HDMI? I guess what I'm getting at is this for both music and movies. Sorry to hear about this misfortune.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • pitdogg2
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    So are you just using the analog outs for music only or does it also do it using HDMI? I guess what I'm getting at is this for both music and movies. Sorry to hear about this misfortune.

Analog, I only use it for 2ch. It has not even had a movie dropped in the tray. I use it for SACD/DVD-AUDIO only. I had thought it was cables, maybe my preamp but like i said i have isolated to the OPPO. I thought it was just at start up after turning it on. But i have left on for days and the first 40-60 seconds it does it. If i do not play anything for a few minutes it does it.
    It definitely has a problem.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Bummer!

Where do you have to send it for service?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    I do not know Rich, I'm calling tomorrow to find out.
  • nooshinjohn
    ModWright will take care of it for you...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Did you call? What’s the verdict??
  • pitdogg2
    No my co-worker called in and i was swamped. I did find out on the site you must email, no number did I find on the website. I'll dig my paperwork out to look later tonight. With grandkids doing the Halloween stuff ;) atm
  • pitdogg2
    I guess i should update this my Oppo turned out fine. My Carver C16 pre is the problem. When i took it to my buddies house to try on his system a week later i had heard static on his and one of his copperhead interconnects was flakey. I have been using it with an Adcom 555 II that i bought years ago from Randy @boston1450 and all has been fine ever since. So maybe next spring or sooner of to Roland to hot rod a complete rebuild with all Elna Silmic II and Nichicon KG muse. Would like all of one or the other whichever fits best and maybe sonicaps where possible.

• nooshinjohn
    Drop some tubes in the output stage if possible. It should just about be the equivalent of the C19... if you like I can ask about that. Shoot me a PM.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I guess i should update this my Oppo turned out fine. My Carver C16 pre is the problem.

LOL. After I got my Oppo 203 I was seeing krappy 4K video and I contacted them. Turns out it was the ‘4K Ready’ cable I bought.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    Drop some tubes in the output stage if possible. It should just about be the equivalent of the C19... if you like I can ask about that. Shoot me a PM.

Always wanted one of those C19's. To be honest the weakest link on both is the volume pot. Last time Roland did work on it about 18yrs ago the volume pot was down 2db. When Rita worked on it many years before Roland it was down 1db. I'd love to have a better pot but Roland said that was a no go. Maybe something has changed.
    Can't hurt to ask John feel free.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I guess i should update this my Oppo turned out fine. My Carver C16 pre is the problem.

LOL. After I got my Oppo 203 I was seeing krappy 4K video and I contacted them. Turns out it was the not quit ‘4K Ready’cable I bought.

Fixed it

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Oppo will be missed.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032

LOL. After I got my Oppo 203 I was seeing krappy 4K video and I contacted them. Turns out it was the not quit ‘4K Ready’cable I bought.

Fixed it
    What was the un said crappy HDMI cable you purchased?

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    mantis wrote: »

Fixed it
    What was the un said crappy HDMI cable you purchased?

Was not mine, @BlueFox said it was his. I was just making a play on the "not quite ready for prime time" joke.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I had a c19 and ran it with a sunfire sig II 625X2. It was a darn good pre.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.