My buddy wants an used integrated amp, any suggestions?

A buddy of mine was over this weekend and told me he wants to go a different direction for awhile. He's not an "audiophile" so I'll throw that out there initially. But he likes music. And I'll enable anybody who is into music and audio gear. >:) He says he's not listening to his HT much right now, and wants to "put it down for awhile." He should put his girlfriend down for awhile, he'd have a lot more dough for this hobby. Truly. Lol. Anyway, he wants to get a used integrated amp and run a 2-channel system. He's not into digital files currently, but that's not to say he won't be. He will mostly be doing vinyl and CDs. Not a real high end guy but wants quality power that is easy to operate. Not a lot of bells and whistles. For the time being he will be using Klipsch KG-4's but may go to something else, maybe even my Kappa 8's. I'm thinking his budget is not over a grand for a used integrated. Anybody have any suggestions? If further questions or concerns let me know or PM me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Anthem 225, bare bones except for phono input. There were some NOS on ebay, not to long ago in this price range. I believe with full warranty as well.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    KG-4’s are easy enough to drive and efficient enough for a Dayens Ampino or Menuetto (I hope I spelled that right), although I’ve never actually heard either of those. Although you’ll almost certainly have issues if he switches to the Kappas.
    NAD? My C352 is awesome, and it is a base model I payed $300 for. I can’t imagine how the higher up models sound.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Shameless plug...

This may be lower than he was aiming, but I have an Adcom GCA-510 I'm planning to list. For those unfamiliar with it, it's a variant of the SLC-505 and GFA-535 in one chassis. No phono-pre and not remote capable, but checks all the other boxes. Shoot me a PM if interested.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    What about Musical Fidelity? Others? Not up on integrated amps these days. I'll pass on the above comments. Appreciate it.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited October 2018
    Anthem 225 for $900 - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis970j4-anthem-int-225-solid-state
    NAD M3 - $999 - https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis96g81-nad-m3-integrated-solid-state

Also, don't rule of the Outlaw Audio RR2160 for $799 (Underwood Hi Fi 30 day at home trial)-$849 (Outlaw audio) new. Very good feedback around the net -

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/172324-2-channel-stereo-replacement/&do=findComment&comment=2189924

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html
    https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/outlaw-audio

Underwood HiFi had a nice demo system using it at the 2018 AXPONA show:
    041318-Emerald%20Physics-600.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I can attest that my Dayens integrated is absolutely sweet sounding! In the spare room too, for when the kids come to visit. What's the matter with me? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited October 2018
    dromunds wrote: »
    A buddy of mine was over this weekend and told me he wants to go a different direction for awhile. He's not an "audiophile" so I'll throw that out there initially. But he likes music. And I'll enable anybody who is into music and audio gear. >:) He says he's not listening to his HT much right now, and wants to "put it down for awhile." He should put his girlfriend down for awhile, he'd have a lot more dough for this hobby. Truly. Lol. Anyway, he wants to get a used integrated amp and run a 2-channel system. He's not into digital files currently, but that's not to say he won't be. He will mostly be doing vinyl and CDs. Not a real high end guy but wants quality power that is easy to operate. Not a lot of bells and whistles. For the time being he will be using Klipsch KG-4's but may go to something else, maybe even my Kappa 8's. I'm thinking his budget is not over a grand for a used integrated. Anybody have any suggestions? If further questions or concerns let me know or PM me. Thanks in advance for any help.

ooh, a thousand smackers ought to yield lots of options.
    What will one kilobuck buy in terms of the modern crop of Yamaha two channel integrateds (new or used)?

Bear in mind that any amplifier that doesn't sound great at really low output levels (< 100 milliwatts, e.g.) may be a bit disappointing on those Klipsches -- unless, that is, your buddy does all listening at paint-removal/weapons of mass destruction SPLs.

Also, and strictly FWIW, my SWAG is that the KG4s and the Kappa 8s are pretty much polar opposites in terms of their amplifier-friendliness. Infinity seemed to have this philosophy (EDIT: at least for a while) that it wasn't a bad idea to make loudspeakers that sometimes seemed purpose-engineered to release the magic smoke from an average (mediocre) amplifier. :/ The Kappa 8 has a pretty sadistic impedance curve (and we'll see if Vanilla will censor sadistic!).

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @WLDock

That ANTHEM!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    @WLDock
    That ANTHEM!!!!
    Yeah, that would be cool for my quest for a living room system. However, a simplified setup like the Kef LS50 Wireless and a small sub like the KEF R400b fill my dreams.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dromunds
    Thanks fellas. Yeah, he wants to feel that whatever he gets will handle something power hungry like the Kappa 8’s. Good suggestions here. Skip, I don’t think he’s up for tube monoblocks. He’s gonna get a bunch of good suggestions so he can get his learn on. Looking at all these sweet integrated gives me the itch myself but I must keep my eyes at home. Lol. Any other suggestions will be appreciated and I’ll keep you updated as to what’s he’s thinking.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited October 2018
    Are you sure your buddy needs or will even appreciate a $1000 amplifier? Yes I know most Polkies at least that for starters or they are slumming......But does your friend need one as his first stereo rig?

Lots I need to know before I can recommend something.

Is he young or old? It doesn't take much to blow away a millennial.

Does he have money he can just spend no questions asked and not miss later? Or a tight budget with a wife/girlfriends that will not understand?

Craigslist is littered with mid 90's integrated amps for $200-400. Tell him to find a early 90's Denon PMA series amp for under $200 and crank those speakers up. Chances are that will keep him happy for a while.
  • dromunds
    By the way, I’ve got my Kappa 8’s in the main system right now and I’m remembering how they ain’t bad. At all. Always liked that vintage Infinity sound. It’s fun to mix up the speaks once in awhile. I’m running the Kappa 8’s on my 1950’s Heathkit W5m monoblocks that were completely rebuilt to Heath specs by Gary Dodd and Charlie Cocci. They have no trouble running the Kappas at all. Sound pretty dang good indeed. My buddy may be keeping the Klipsch for some time. Even if he’s preparing that he may not. Lol.
  • dromunds
    delkal wrote: »
    Are you sure your buddy needs or will even appreciate a $1000 amplifier? Yes I know most Polkies at least that for starters or they are slumming......But does your friend need one as his first stereo rig?

Lots I need to know before I can recommend something.

Is he young or old? It doesn't take much to blow away a millennial.

Does he have money he can just spend no questions asked and not miss later? Or a tight budget with a wife/girlfriends that will not understand?

Craigslist is littered with mid 90's integrated amps for $200-400. Tell him to find a early 90's Denon PMA series amp for under $200 and crank those speakers up. Chances are that will keep him happy for a while.

He has a good occupation, in his 50’s but never an “audiophile” so to speak although very much likes his music. So, this is by no means his first gear, but he’s had his current HT system for a real long time and it’s pretty pedestrian by Polkie standards. And it’s been quite some time indeed that he’s had a real 2 channel system. I’m going to be asking him to get more focused on where he really wants to go regarding some issues. I can see a few different issues he will need to give some thought to before going further. I know he likes the idea of vintage generally but I also know he would want to avoid issues with repairs as much as practicable, so I was thinking he’d want to go with newer used, but I’m going to have to talk to him more. Some real good suggestions for him here that’s for sure. Appreciate them all.
  • mlistens03
    Not sure where you are located, but there is a denon PMA-1060 on the Orlando CL right now, which I almost bought, but I got the NAD instead. FWIW. $200, IIRC.
  • Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    dromunds wrote: »
    What about Musical Fidelity? Others? Not up on integrated amps these days. I'll pass on the above comments. Appreciate it.

An A5 or an A308 all day if you can find one. I’m happy, but I really miss my 308.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I've been very happy with my Marantz AMP-1. Has a built in DAC, which is excellent. I use it for my nearfield setup, but am sure would be nice for a larger setup.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181539/marantz-amp-1-in-the-house#latest
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    This is a steal for $750 because the case is scuffed. You can get it replaced by Peachtree...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253958077640
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mlistens03
    Another idea... Mission Cyrus 1 or 2. These usually go for $200-$400 depending on condition. Very bare bones though. I’ve never heard one, but I’d like to hear one myself someday. :)