Any current/past 2002 Infiniti Q45 owners out there?

As I finish up things on my Mom's passing away, I have her 2002 Infinti Q45.

Pearl white, all leather and other stuff.....

It is the premium model with 73,113 miles on it and is in almost mint condition.
Has a 4.5 liter V8-340 hp with active damping suspension pkg and of other features.

It does get up and go, had it out on the highway yesterday and jumps on 100 mph quite easy. Seems to have a slight "floating feeling" when driving it. Nav screen says time for tire rotation which will be done tomorrow.

Although not needed, I do have a little emotional attachment to it as Mom loved the thing.

Just looking for insight from any others owners as to keep it or get rid of it, problems mechanically or whatever??

Thanks
David

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Funny thing.

Daughter was with me yesterday, saw the cassette player and says, "Dad, what's that".... :D
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    I'm afraid it may be worth more to you than out on the market, unless you can find an Infiniti enthusiast who is looking for exactly that car with low miles, then they might pay more. Clean retail in TX for that many miles is about $6500 if you were buying it from a dealer. Individual seller would be less of course.. Not sure about the reliability / maintenance. Any car approaching 20 years is going to need some attention. Might check the infiniti forums and see what they're saying. Sorry about your loss.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Keep it... they are great cars...……………………………………………………...………………………………………..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited October 2018
    KEEP IT!

I did not have a Q45 but did have a 2003 FX45 for eight years. Their 4.5 liter engine is very solid and could be good for 200K miles. Only thing I can remember to be aware of on that is it has a tendency to use up a little engine oil from day 1. Also, the whole exhaust system rotted out from the cat back after seven years. While that rotting process was going on though the exhaust rumble sounded even meaner.

I test drove a 2003 M45 before I settled on the FX45. The acceleration on the M45 was remarkable for its time for a large car and even handled pretty well because they put a 350Z rear suspension on it. Infiniti shared the engine with all three models to split development costs. The Q45 was intended to have a softer ride than the M45 and way softer than the FX45 but you may want to get the dampers checked out when the tires are rotated. The Q45 was more of a long distance comfortable cruiser so what you are feeling may be normal. I consider that era for Infiniti/Nissan to be their peak of quality.

KEEP IT!
  • oldrocker
    Thanks all.

Been reading up on it. Yep some forums mention that damper thing among other stuff. Nothing to major it appears.

Probably keep it until spring or until the attachment to it's winds down.

A sad note and too personal but what the heck. hit the cd play button and songs my Mom liked were in the cd changer :'(

Dean Martin, Connie Francis, Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra and some Willie Nelson, not to sure on while ole Willie in the mix??? :D

Who knows maybe trade it for a piece of audio gear, when the time is right.... B)

• oldrocker
    Whatcha got boss?
  • oldrocker
    Not sure.

Been wanting to dip my toes into the tube amp thing but legend warns, that's one hell of a rabbit hole... ;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice car, solid....built like a tank. Biggest problem is that suspension system. Costly to repair.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited October 2018
    Solid vehicle.

If I'm not mistaken, that's the transmission that they also used in the Nissan Quest which for a van, is a great towing platform for the loads recommended...as odd as that van is, many people praise it because of that. The engine, drivetrain of the Q45 from what I remember is very good.

I would suspect old suspension components in need of replacing, but keep on mind that vehicle is more of a luxury sport vehicle than a honed, twisty backroad carver.

If you plan on keeping it, I would try to get a full compliment of door seals and window seals as they become nearly impossible to find later, if not difficult now. If they are still avail from the dealer, I would bite the bullet and see what you can get.

• oldrocker
    Tire rotation and balance made a big difference, also made an adjustment to the shocks, "some adjustment bolt" now it's smooth as can be.

So after a the test drive, some guy waiting on his vehicle offered to buy it.

Will let him know on Monday.

• Emlyn
    If I remember right, the 2002 Q45 fully loaded was around $60K when new.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Nissan Cima is the car the Q45 is based on. there are many bolt-on toys that can improve both looks and performance. Don't sell it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • oldrocker
    Not sure yet what to do with her?????

Does need a good detailed cleaning.
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Looks very well taken care of.
  • That's a nice car, I would keep it and drive the wheels off it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • oldrocker
    Thanks for the opinions.

Although I did get a very good offer on it the other day, I've decided to keep it.

:)
  • oldrocker
    After about 9 mos and a bit over 2k miles, it's time to let it go.

Spent the last 2 days shopping around, kinda like the Nissan Maxima.

A fun lil car to drive, not to sure on the whole CVT tranny thing but still looking.

Although the wife will get the new car, she chooses to stay home during the whole negotiations process.

Say's it's something to do with my responses to "fuzzy math" at dealerships.

Let me tell you, the math has been extra FUZZY :s

I jokingly told one guy, " I can actually operate a calculator" even had one with me, young fella didn't even respond :D

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Now this is just what I've heard but I read the CVT trannys in new Nissan cars aren't too great and costly to repair if not have to outright buy a new one.

I could be wrong, just something I read.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    Nissan makes garbage CVT transmissions, stay away.

If you already bought it baby that transmission.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I bought an Infiniti because I thought it would last......forever. :(
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Scotty always says the older models were good. Stay away from anything new. Cvt issues, electronic gremlins....
  • oldrocker
    Haven't bought anything yet.

Yea, not thrilled what I've learned on the whole CVT thing.

Reminds me of a snowmobile drive belt centrifugal clutch... :D
  • oldrocker
    Viking64 wrote: »

This ole beater still runs fine....

Just not that great for indiana winters tho.... RWD.. :p

• Emlyn
    The current Infiniti/Nissan product is nowhere near the quality level of what they produced before Renault and the bean counters got involved in the early 2000s. Turned themselves into the Chrysler/Dodge of Japan to stay afloat.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Toyota/Lexus is where it's at if you care about bulletproof reliability these days. The only other brand that comes close is Honda/Acura.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

This ole beater still runs fine....

Just not that great for indiana winters tho.... RWD.. :p

You toss a couple of bodies in the trunk it'll be fine....
  • oldrocker
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Toyota/Lexus is where it's at if you care about bulletproof reliability these days. The only other brand that comes close is Honda/Acura.

Drove a few Acura's yesterday. Nice rides.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    I have absolutely nothing useful to add to this thread :( but I do want to mention a synchronicitous event.

We had a long-time friend visit us this weekend. He has an auto repair business on Long Island and he's a bit of a gear head ;) His highway cruiser is a 2003 Infinity M45 (not Q45, sorry) that he bought new but only uses for long trips. 30k miles on a 16-ish year old car. :p It is beautiful in a Reubenesque way that's hopelessly out of fashion now -- and it was spotless. Actually, better than spotless; like brand new (if not even cleaner and shinier). It reminds one of how nice a car could be (even) before the proliferation of drive by wire computer junk stuff that cars like this have to have in 2019. :|

I don't even remember this model.

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Kia Optima is a heck of a nice car for the money with a great warranty. Can get it all gussied up with a peppy 2.0T that can run on 87 octane if ya choose.