$1000 (+/-) DACs

2»

Comments

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,212
    I just did a Google search on clicks and pops from days and it seems this issue pops up with other digital sources and mayon not be caused by the musical paradise dac.
    I have not had this issue or problems with email answers from garry.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,583
    I get an occasional light click or pop with my PSA Direct Stream. I haven't downloaded the latest update on it as I was waiting until I got it to skips and we could do a direct comparison before updating. It's not that big of an issue for me as it only happens occasionally. Those clicks and pops aren't confined to just one brand of DAC.

This is really in line with what I was posting yesterday in that word of mouth only goes so far. The old saying of "one mans trash is another mans treasure" comes to mind. Not saying any one piece is either, but, unless you know very precisely what one persons sound tastes are it's very hard to go on word of mouth alone. Only good ears are your own. Find something that checks the boxes you want, see if there's a way you can get your ears on it in your system and go from there.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• voltzvoltz Posts: 5,009
    I always wondered how good the PS Audio Stack would be. think I like how it uses the new 12S and make the stack talk to each other better?

And how does it work in real life?

I also like the the Aurender n100 streamer with a 4 tb drive inside for my music over the Aries mini streamer?

I also add my opinion is only what you think it is worth?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    voltz wrote: »
    I always wondered how good the PS Audio Stack would be. think I like how it uses the new 12S and make the stack talk to each other better?

And how does it work in real life?

I also like the the Aurender n100 streamer with a 4 tb drive inside for my music over the Aries mini streamer?

I also add my opinion is only what you think it is worth?

how about a six pack? :D
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,009
    not as good as a great bottle of Bourbon...may a Bookers or Bakers or Knob Creek Single Barrel! and then maybe i could tell you how I really think ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    you know i'm cheap....wild turkey
  • maxwardmaxward Posts: 188
    Now your talkin’. Thanks for all the feedback. All brands have occasional hiccups. The key is how they handle the problem. Customer service often determines whether they earn a repeat buyer. I’m looking forward to trying out the North Star here in my own system. Not a thing wrong with Wild Turkey.
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
    Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner;
    Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,161
    Kerry makes good points. You can narrow down the field with others opinions, but in the end it's always your ears that make the final purchase. Even then, what sounds good to you today, may not a few years down the road. We audio guys are finicky like that. :)

If I learned one thing is this audio journey, it's to not expect any one piece to "transform" your system into a superstar. It's more so like members of a band, some play well together, some don't, but when they do....it's musical bliss.

Hope the NorthStar plays well with your band members bro. Had an ear on them myself and liked what I heard.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 2,583
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the NorthStar. A good DAC can go a long way to towards transformation in a system. Tonyb is right, imo, don't look for one piece to be a total transformer.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    Dual SVS SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

• halohalo Posts: 4,479
    edited October 12
    One piece may not be a total transformer but one piece may be the key that opens up/unlocks the synergy of your setup. As others have already said, the only way to say for sure is to have the gear on trial ion your setup. I look forward to your impressions of the Northstar DAC.
    Jetmaker737 shipped the Intenso to me last week and it came Friday. It looks like a quality piece. I am just starting to listen to it carefully and I’m realizing that it’s been a very long time since I have done an A-B comparison. I set it up with an identical set of interconnects as on my current DAC and used a vacant input on the preamp. This way, the only cable that is swapped is the digital one. First impressions were that everything sounded just a little clearer through the Intenso. I can’t yet pinpoint specific areas of improvement, but the more I listened, I started to wonder if I was hearing a difference in volume. So I found my old Stereophile test CD and played pink noise while using the Decibel X app on my phone to record average level over about 30 seconds. The Intenso and Micromega were very close in level, but the Intenso was 0.3 to 0.4 decibel louder. I was hoping that I didn’t need to mess with trying to match levels and I’m not sure if can make a consistent change of less than a decibel, so I probably won’t bother. Any thoughts a about this? I would have guessed that there was a greater difference in level, so perhaps the Intenso is displaying a lower noise floor. As I get more time to listen, I will have more to say.
    Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; North Star Intenso;
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    I can't see the full chain on my phone. What's the system including all cables?
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Speaker cables and amp and preamp power cords are MAC (my audio cables) made by Steve Hallick, who I believe is now out of business. Reviews can be found online. Other power cords are Pangea except turntable, which is captive and Mydac, which is stock. Interconnects are mostly Straightwire Musicable II or better. Digital is MIT. Rest of system: Thorens TD-160C; Sumiko Talisman S; Jolida JD9; Marantz CD-53; Micromega Mydac; Joule-Electra LA-100; Balanced Power Technology AC conditioner; Odyssey Khartago monos (with most factory upgrades); Magnepan MG 3.6R.
    After nine days with the Intenso, I’m really very impressed. The soundstage is larger in all dimensions, including some increased vertical imaging. All instruments, especially piano, sound more realistic and at the same time, more relaxed. This is interesting, since the Zero Fidelity review remarked that piano has a little digital glare. I’ve had two other trusted pairs of ears listen to it and both agree that it’s a major improvement over the Micromega Mydac, which sounds pretty flat by comparison. I’m now wondering what the Supremo must sound like. Thanks, Skip.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    It sounds like it just needed time to settle back into the rig. I'm thrilled you are hearing what it brings to the table. I don't find the Intenso to have a digital glare but more of a neutral tone that can depend on a proper synergy. I won't argue Sean's review though as he has a great ear and one I trust. I used the Intenso with the Norma stack and Volterra at the meet last weekend and I was really impressed with how it handled itself with gear well above its own price point.

The Intenso is basically the foundation of what the Supremo does. It expands those elements more and also brings a very rich tone to the mix. It is their attempt to approach analog and while I don't find it 'analog-sounding' (I'm not sure I find any DAC's analog sounding) it does present the music in a way that is unique. It is unlike any Sabre chip experience I've ever had. You get the benefits the Sabre chips bring to the mix, but you also get the organic presentation that they almost always seem to miss on.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
2»