Bare-bones integrated with subwoofer output

ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,950
edited October 6 in Wanted (WTB) Classifieds
Stereo integrated amplifier. No frills.
No bluetooth, no DAC, no headphone jack, no phono stage, no balance or tone controls (if possible)
Minimal amount of inputs. Decent power output. A/B preferred, D acceptable. Must have subwoofer pre-out.

Does a product like this exist? If so, I want to buy it.

Here's a few that "kinda" fit:

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/amplifiers/n22-desktop-audio-amplifier/
(Leading contender)

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3020v2-hybrid-digital-amplifier/
(Original one doesn't have phono stage, both have BT)

Comments

• zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,688
    https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-100

No frills (except headphone jack) and class A/B. Reviews outside of Emotiva are very positive for a simple but powerful little integrated amp.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,950
    edited October 6
    Not bad Zingo, not bad!

The fact that it has a fan inside of it is a little silly, imo.
    edited October 7
    It's not clear to me if the Emotiva's RCA output can be used as a subwoofer pre-out. They describe it as a "loop output" that mirrors the input signal. "A loop output provides a duplicate of the input signal to facilitate chaining additional amplifiers or other devices."

In this case the output will be full range and not dependent on the volume control. I don't believe this would work as a subwoofer pre out.
    It looks like you are right; buggers!
    I have this amp and the 301 a step above it and like both, but it does have a DAC function you don’t need.

https://www.parts-express.com/teac-ai-101da-high-resolution-stereo-bluetooth-amplifier-with-usb-dac-2-x-26w--248-500
  • verbverb Posts: 3,992
    edited October 7
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,605
    Wait.....did I just hear someone say "bare bones"?

d1sk6lxmzq74.jpg
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 4,749
    Vital question: what’s the budget? And does it HAVE to have no frills, or is that to keep it under a certain $$$ limit.
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio Nova Integrated; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10 + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; LG UP870 4K BDP

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; Audiosource Amp Two, PSB Imagine B, Boston VR-10 center, NHT Super One CI surrounds, ACI Titan subwoofer, Squeezebox Touch
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,973
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Wait.....did I just hear someone say "bare bones"?

d1sk6lxmzq74.jpg

Wait, that's not a pug, what gives?
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    la2vegas wrote: »

Wait, that's not a pug, what gives?

All dogs are awesome! :)
    This guy has a sub out! Sprout by PS Audio.
    jps7le4trcw3.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
    Cute little guy!
    vxe6barft4j4.png
    verb wrote: »
    Cute little guy!

Yeah, but those caps are already leaking.
    Mmm, capacitor electrolyte used for popping corn! :smile:
    Maverick Audio class A/B hybid integrated amp with preout.

https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,323
    Mission Cyrus integrated would fit all your bills other than sub out. They usually go around $400 on eBay, although they aren’t too common AFAIK. Like my Mission speakers, only sold in England.
    I don’t know much about them, other than that they supposedly sound really good.
    Micah

Main system: Technics SL3200, Shure M97xE, Lafayette LR1100 for tuner, Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2 phono stage, NAD C352 integrated, Boston Acoustics VR 2, Boston PV500, generic ICs, and BJC Belden speaker cables.

Desktop: Dell Precision 690 running iTunes, Yamaha RX-v665, Monitor Audio R90s, Velodyne VA-907, generic ICs and speaker cables.
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
    Hey Drew, how about an Ampino integrated? No sub out, but sweet! :smile:
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,550
    edited October 7
    or... or... or...

Howzabout a high-quality power amplifier and a passive attenuator/source selector with two attenuated outputs?

This is the way I roll (well, I guess the high quality part's debatable) and it was trivial (at least from a logistical perspective) to add a (powered) subwoofer when the urge struck.

edited October 7
    zingo wrote: »
    I have this amp and the 301 a step above it and like both, but it does have a DAC function you don’t need.
    I took a look at a few of the TEAC offerings last night, good call. They look to be well reviewed, but as you mention have the unnecessary DAC. Still, an option, as they don't seem to be in high demand which means that deals on eBay are likely to be had.

Interesting little guy. Vista Spark:
    The Spark would be absolutely perfect if it had the sub pre out.

rooftop59 wrote: »
    Vital question: what’s the budget? And does it HAVE to have no frills, or is that to keep it under a certain $$$ limit.
    Under $500. It doesn't have to have no frills, but as my request is not typical (most people want more features, not less) it would be somewhat silly to pay for things that aren't needed.

This guy has a sub out! Sprout by PS Audio.
    The Sprout is a solid suggestion. It does have the unnecessary phono stage and BT, but the PS Audio build quality and sound might make up for that.

Cute little guy! (Orb Audio Booster)
    I saw this on Amazon last night! Not bad.

zingo wrote: »
    Maverick Audio class A/B hybid integrated amp with preout.

https://www.mav-audio.com/base/product/tube_magic_a1
    Now we're talking! This is the most promising option so far! Very cool!

mlistens03 wrote: »
    Mission Cyrus integrated would fit all your bills other than sub out. They usually go around $400 on eBay, although they aren’t too common AFAIK. Like my Mission speakers, only sold in England.
    I don’t know much about them, other than that they supposedly sound really good.
    Hah, of course you would come through with a vintage suggestion! ;) Could be a cool choice, provided one can be found in good shape for a reasonable price!

Hey Drew, how about an Ampino integrated? No sub out, but sweet! :smile:
    No sub out, no deal!

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    or... or... or...

Howzabout a high-quality power amplifier and a passive attenuator/source selector with two attenuated outputs?

This is the way I roll (well, I guess the high quality part's debatable) and it was trivial (at least from a logistical perspective) to add a (powered) subwoofer when the urge struck.
    I like this suggestion as well as it opens up the flexibility of running whatever amplifier I want. Do you know of a nice passive attenuator/source selector with two attenuated outputs?
    edited October 7
    halo wrote: »
    Over specified budget.
    edited October 8
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I like this suggestion as well as it opens up the flexibility of running whatever amplifier I want. Do you know of a nice passive attenuator/source selector with two attenuated outputs?

https://luminousaudio.com/collections/axiom-ii-passive-preamp/products/axiom-ii-passive-preamp-walker-mod

I like these a lot from Luminous Audio as they are well built, but they also perform really well since Tim builds it to your source and amp specs.

3y04w6dqg9rq.jpeg

Hell yeah! That's amazing.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,122
    I'm checking to see if a sub out might be possible on the Spark.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    halo wrote: »
    Why can't you just run line level to the sub & the speakers simultaneously, as @F1nut suggested in the Setting Up A Subwoofer for 2.1 thread?

I don't know. I thought the pre-out method was the most easy and intuitive, with good sound quality.
  • scubalabscubalab Posts: 2,448
    Drew - If you're considering used, I may be willing to part with my Music Hall A25.2. Fits all your needs, and would be WELL under budget. Nice little integrated that's 4 ohm stable with a sub out and definitely bare bones. Shoot me a PM if interested.

-Al