How can you listen to anything under 200 watt per chnl?

13»

Answers

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,563
    edited October 4
    Isn’t a loudspeaker’s efficiency measured at a given frequency 1khz @1w and 1 meter.

Wouldn’t much more power be used to produce another more demanding frequency at the same level and further away?

It varies, and the test standards are, IME, seldom specified.
    To be meainingful, it should be based on a broadband signal (e.g., pink noise) -- but then the acoustic environment can have a big impact, too.

I usually just use a Radio Shack SPL meter & a tape measure ;) ... or believe the published spec. When we're dealing with (vintage) JBL & Altec, the specs are generally pretty reliable -- and the conditions are usually spelled out pretty clearly (e.g., power handling).

In an anechoic space, SPL decreases by 3 dB per doubling of distance.
    A stereo pair of loudspeakers increases SPL by 3 dB relative to a single loudspeaker.

Here's a good (reproducible) set of specs for a good (one of the best ones ever) woofer, e.g.,

2w4yzon2czur.png

Look at the sensitivity spec:

tccw9xzhma05.png

and the definition thereof:

f4eybiat6nfu.png

Freefield at 4 feet (a teeny-weeny bit more than 1 meter ;)) with pink noise (bandwidth limited -- heck, it is a woofer).

PS -- youse guyses do know the difference between pink and white noise, yes?

White noise: Equivalent power level across any band segment

1xz53kb3y52h.png

Pink noise: 3 dB falloff per octave
    "every octave contains the same amount of energy", as Wiki-P puts it (which is fitting given the way we hear sound)

dcxxb6cv3wea.png
  • Msabot1Msabot1 Posts: 2,114
    How can you??....With your ears!!...LOL!..
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,627
    g7trader wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I would argue that the .5dB step is a lot closer to a .5dB increase/decrease in volume than it is to a 3dB increase/decrease.

Are you one of the admins on Audiokarma? I got permanently banned from there can you get me back lol

Next up, permanent ban from the Internet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• delkaldelkal Posts: 345
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    stumbled across this ol' sticky @ AK (looking for something else):
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-sensitivity-decibels-and-you.58829/

gmcman wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, .5 db is roughly 16% louder, 1db is roughly 33% louder.. that's somewhat of a large percentage even though its expressed in a small decimal.

and 10 dB = twice as loud; 20 dB = four times as loud... but even those comparisons are difficult to "hear" in a real world setting.

The figures of merit in terms of amplifiers, I would say, are these (which we've all talked around in previous posts).

10 dB more output takes 10 times as much power (one order of magnitude)
    20 dB more output takes 100 times as much power (two orders of magnitude)

etc.

Just think of the decibel as what it is, a tenth of an exponential quantity of 'intensity' called the Bel :) Drop the zero and it's like high school math.

10^1 = 10 (10 dB)
    10^2 = 100 (20 dB)
    10^3 = 1000 (30 dB)

1/10 = -10 dB
    1/100 = -20 dB
    1/1000 = -30 dB

etc.

Seems like I have heard this somewhere before...........
  • FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,599

On a positive note he has increased forum traffic. :)

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 11,467
    FTGV wrote: »

On a positive note he has increased forum traffic. :)

Everybody likes a good train wreck Fred lol
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,928
    tonyb wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    OK look, if you guys are going to throw a bunch of facts and numbers out there to try and confuse the situation then I'm just going to leave!

We have special skills, and if you leave, we will find you....and steal all your audio gear. :)

Say the word.....
    edited October 4
    lightman1 wrote: »

Say the word.....
    Word! Your lusting for that Yammy amp ain't ya..

pitdogg2 wrote: »

Everybody likes a good train wreck Fred lol
    Guilty.

FTGV wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

Say the word.....
    Word! Your lusting for that Yammy amp ain't ya..

Dibs!
  • g7traderg7trader Posts: 39
    I would argue that the .5dB step is a lot closer to a .5dB increase/decrease in volume than it is to a 3dB increase/decrease.

Half the answers do this question are a bit random.
    edited October 5

Half the answers [t]o this question are a bit random.

Which is about right, since 74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    We used to have a cat which was grey on the average.

14210705656_0e29a82085_h.jpgDSC_1506 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • verbverb Posts: 4,001

Half the answers do this question are a bit random.

That's how you learn my man! One question, simple, elementary, and this bunch will take it to the next level. My advice, strap in and hold on! Lot's of good learning here.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Preamplifier, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Project BoxE, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,605
    verb wrote: »
    My advice, strap in and hold on!
    Strap on and hold in? I'm lost....is it Billie Jean King's birthday or something? *shrug*
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 495
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Those who don't know, don't know that they don't know

Ha! Should be a bumper sticker!
    Home System:
    SDA 1C's - Full mod with the help by Dave...
    B&K Reference 50 Pre
    B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks
    Cambridge Audio DVD 99
    Sangean HD FM Tuner

Barn system:
    SDA SRS 2.3's Full mod done by myself
    Carver C-1 pre
    Carver M1.5t
  • I'm clueless about most of what's written here but about 10 years ago I was at Sony's Hammerhead Studio in Charlotte listen to a video soundtrack and got a lesson in volume. The recording was mostly cars at track level and not much music coming out of 4 little JBL Speakers and they were so loud it was like being at a hard rock concert. I asked the engineer how were the little speakers not blown from the volume. He showed me a meter and said this is only 7 watts. That was a lesson.
    I'm clueless about most of what's written here but about 10 years ago I was at Sony's Hammerhead Studio in Charlotte listen to a video soundtrack and got a lesson in volume. The recording was mostly cars at track level and not much music coming out of 4 little JBL Speakers and they were so loud it was like being at a hard rock concert. I asked the engineer how were the little speakers not blown from the volume. He showed me a meter and said this is only 7 watts. That was a lesson.

Are you in Mooresville, NC?
  • No. I was working out of Rock Hill at the time.
    No. I was working out of Rock Hill at the time.

Right on. My warehouse is in Mooresville. Free beer and and pile of gear.
    Hammerhead has a studio in Mooresville.
  • It might be the same studio. It was by the north I-77, I-277 interchange which Charlotte was turning in to an entertainment district. A lot of businesses were relocating because of it. They even renamed the road in to the district, NC Music Factory Blvd. It was the only road in and out.

Moorseville is a nice area except on race day.
    Yup. Horrible traffic. The NC music factory has some nice venues.
  • Hammerhead was directly across the street from the Music Factory at the time. When I was there the first dinner-dance club had just opened.
13»