How can you listen to anything under 200 watt per chnl?

13»

Answers

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    PS -- youse guyses do know the difference between pink and white noise, yes?

White noise: Equivalent power level across any band segment

1xz53kb3y52h.png

Pink noise: 3 dB falloff per octave
    "every octave contains the same amount of energy", as Wiki-P puts it (which is fitting given the way we hear sound)

dcxxb6cv3wea.png
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    How can you??....With your ears!!...LOL!..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    g7trader wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I would argue that the .5dB step is a lot closer to a .5dB increase/decrease in volume than it is to a 3dB increase/decrease.

Are you one of the admins on Audiokarma? I got permanently banned from there can you get me back lol

Next up, permanent ban from the Internet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    stumbled across this ol' sticky @ AK (looking for something else):
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-sensitivity-decibels-and-you.58829/

gmcman wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, .5 db is roughly 16% louder, 1db is roughly 33% louder.. that's somewhat of a large percentage even though its expressed in a small decimal.

and 10 dB = twice as loud; 20 dB = four times as loud... but even those comparisons are difficult to "hear" in a real world setting.

The figures of merit in terms of amplifiers, I would say, are these (which we've all talked around in previous posts).

10 dB more output takes 10 times as much power (one order of magnitude)
    20 dB more output takes 100 times as much power (two orders of magnitude)

etc.

Just think of the decibel as what it is, a tenth of an exponential quantity of 'intensity' called the Bel :) Drop the zero and it's like high school math.

10^1 = 10 (10 dB)
    10^2 = 100 (20 dB)
    10^3 = 1000 (30 dB)

1/10 = -10 dB
    1/100 = -20 dB
    1/1000 = -30 dB

etc.

Seems like I have heard this somewhere before...........
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649

On a positive note he has increased forum traffic. :)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    FTGV wrote: »

On a positive note he has increased forum traffic. :)

Everybody likes a good train wreck Fred lol
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    tonyb wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    OK look, if you guys are going to throw a bunch of facts and numbers out there to try and confuse the situation then I'm just going to leave!

We have special skills, and if you leave, we will find you....and steal all your audio gear. :)

Say the word.....
  • FTGV
    edited October 2018
    lightman1 wrote: »

Say the word.....
    Word! Your lusting for that Yammy amp ain't ya..

• FTGV
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Everybody likes a good train wreck Fred lol
    Guilty.

• lightman1
    FTGV wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

Say the word.....
    Word! Your lusting for that Yammy amp ain't ya..

Dibs!
  • F1nut wrote: »
    I would argue that the .5dB step is a lot closer to a .5dB increase/decrease in volume than it is to a 3dB increase/decrease.

Half the answers do this question are a bit random.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited October 2018

Half the answers [t]o this question are a bit random.

Which is about right, since 74% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
    We used to have a cat which was grey on the average.

14210705656_0e29a82085_h.jpgDSC_1506 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Half the answers do this question are a bit random.

That's how you learn my man! One question, simple, elementary, and this bunch will take it to the next level. My advice, strap in and hold on! Lot's of good learning here.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    verb wrote: »
    My advice, strap in and hold on!
    Strap on and hold in? I'm lost....is it Billie Jean King's birthday or something? *shrug*
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Those who don't know, don't know that they don't know

Ha! Should be a bumper sticker!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I'm clueless about most of what's written here but about 10 years ago I was at Sony's Hammerhead Studio in Charlotte listen to a video soundtrack and got a lesson in volume. The recording was mostly cars at track level and not much music coming out of 4 little JBL Speakers and they were so loud it was like being at a hard rock concert. I asked the engineer how were the little speakers not blown from the volume. He showed me a meter and said this is only 7 watts. That was a lesson.
  • lightman1
    I'm clueless about most of what's written here but about 10 years ago I was at Sony's Hammerhead Studio in Charlotte listen to a video soundtrack and got a lesson in volume. The recording was mostly cars at track level and not much music coming out of 4 little JBL Speakers and they were so loud it was like being at a hard rock concert. I asked the engineer how were the little speakers not blown from the volume. He showed me a meter and said this is only 7 watts. That was a lesson.

Are you in Mooresville, NC?
  • No. I was working out of Rock Hill at the time.
  • lightman1
    No. I was working out of Rock Hill at the time.

Right on. My warehouse is in Mooresville. Free beer and and pile of gear.
  • lightman1
    Hammerhead has a studio in Mooresville.
  • It might be the same studio. It was by the north I-77, I-277 interchange which Charlotte was turning in to an entertainment district. A lot of businesses were relocating because of it. They even renamed the road in to the district, NC Music Factory Blvd. It was the only road in and out.

Moorseville is a nice area except on race day.
  • lightman1
    Yup. Horrible traffic. The NC music factory has some nice venues.
  • Hammerhead was directly across the street from the Music Factory at the time. When I was there the first dinner-dance club had just opened.