Possible move: Cincinnatti - any experience with Cinci?

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Having just gone through a move recently, it is a major P I T A. Sell everything you own and buy new stuff when you get there. The Co$t of moving is in$ane.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    halo wrote: »
    Having just gone through a move recently, it is a major P I T A. Sell everything you own and buy new stuff when you get there. The Co$t of moving is in$ane.

I’m sure joeys new gig will give him a nice moving allowance...it’s much more painful for us common folk 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I'm definitely in the Bailey Quarters camp

http://kekbfm.com/who-was-hotter-on-wkrp-jennifer-or-bailey-poll/

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Leaving the known for the unknown is always a struggle. Sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder.

Here's my words of wisdom from out travels - take them as you will.

When my wife and I moved from Michigan to Reno, NV we made a list of the pro's and con's of the move. We didn't have kids at the time, so it made things a little easier. Even now with kids I don't think I would place that high of a factor on it. It all depends on where your kids are at with school though (elementary vs. last year of high school).

Anyway, we looked at it as an adventure. And adventure together into the unknown future.

Reno doesn't conjure up the best reputation in people's mind, but it was close to Lake Tahoe for us and being snowboarders, backpackers, campers and over all outdoors lovers we liked that. So look at where you are going and see if it's somewhere you want to be. For us, life is more than just work so we wanted to enjoy where we lived. In the process we've learned to love Reno and consider it a great place to live.

Additionally, we made sure when I interviewed that I would like the place I was working. At the time in Michigan I didn't like my place of employment. I wasn't going to move to another job and be miserable there as well. I made sure I liked the culture of the employer and my future boss. I felt very comfortable with both. If I wasn't, we wouldn't have moved for just money or location. Work is also another big aspect of life and it's not good to be at a job you don't like getting up for. You'll be miserable and that wiggles it's way back into the home life as well.

We moved to a town where we knew nobody. It's rough leaving family and friends. You have roots where you are and when you move you leave those behind and have to establish new roots all over again. That's a pain point. But we had each other and that helped out. You'll have your family and that helps out. Again, look at it as an adventure to discover some place new.

Finally, when it came time to make the decision, it was still hard. We would leave family and friends for an unknown place and an unknown end. But my wife gave the best advice when we were making the decision. She said, "if we move and it doesn't go well... we can always move back". That advice was related more to family and friends than it was about employment. Understanding that making the choice wasn't something that would be set in stone forever, made the decision easier. However, when you do go - go all in. Sell the house, don't hold on to it and rent it out just "in case you don't like where you are going". Burn the boats as it were and you'll have both feet in your new location and not be in two different worlds.

We've never regretted moving and taking the adventure together.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Enjoy the ride!

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2018
    Joey_V wrote: »
    GlennDog wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Obviously you need to do what you feel is right. As 47 year old I will say that I've put comfort and family tranquility before career. I & my family would be in a better position now if I had not.
    Joey . . . ^^^read this^^^
    Now, read it again
    Best of luck to you and the fam, Bro
    Very difficult choice.
    On one hand I know I can be successful and fit in Cinci over time and my family would enjoy it as well. The transition period is tough, I know and dread that. But the flip side is I might be able to set myself up for a long time. If I stay here in Dallas, good chance I will stagnate. Tough decisions to make.
    I have family that sort of did the same but they went the opposite direction. They both started their careers in the metro-Detroit area. One works with the Federal Government and took a position in Cincinnati to advance. They lived North near Hamilton and loved the area as well as the cost of living. To further his career he was forced to move to DC so off they went and have been out East for awhile now. They would love to settle down back in the Cincinnati area. Both have both done well in their careers (not quite to your level Joey, LOL!) and have built several homes in suburban areas. In their opinion the Cincinnati area was the best value for them compared to Metro Detroit, DC, etc. Both are very picky people ...so that speaks well about about the area, the quality of life, the schools, the people, interest groups, access to the city, etc.

There are audiophiles there:
    https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiAudiophile/
    http://www.audibleelegance.com/
    http://morrowaudio.com/free-perks/morrow-audiophile-club
    http://hansonav.com/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    All I will say is this.
    Don't ever look in the mirror & say "What if?"
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I’m sure joeys new gig will give him a nice moving allowance...it’s much more painful for us common folk 😂

Selling my system would be sad...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V wrote: »

Selling my system would pay for me to buy the houses on either side and in front and behind me......

Fixed it for you Joey :smile:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Joey_V

Selling my system would pay for me to buy the houses on either side and in front and behind me......

Fixed it for you Joey :smile:

Lol

But I don’t think so... haha

I did tour a house there... I was like there’s basements here?? Yes!

I found a good spot to locate a listening room... much bigger and nicer than my current one.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Why the move, Joey? I thought you just got your family and your parents settled, down there in TX.

I would have to move my parents to Cinci. Have to buy another house and shoulder the mortgage.

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Lived in Mason for the last 16 years. 20ish miles north of Cincy downtown. Could not ask for a better place to raise a family.
    I work downtown and commute can be annoying at the wrong times. I get there around 7 am and get out before 3 and it's around 30 minutes. If I leave after 4 it's 45ish, sometimes worse. I usually work from home a little in the evenings but will take that over sitting in traffic.

If you have specific questions let me know.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Joey_V
    I think I am looking at Mason.
    Looking to work at Mercy Fairfield.

Any thoughts on that place?
  • Ricardo
    That place Mercy? Never been there but Mercy is big around here. They have several locations. I am not the right person to ask about hospitals.... Luckily I have been able to avoid them :)

Commute Mason - Fairfield should not be bad. In and out of downtown is where you'll get the most traffic.

SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • Joey_V
    Sweetness
  • Joey_V
    Do you partake in an audiophile club in Cinci?
  • Ricardo
    I've been out of serious audio for some time now. My wallet is a lot happier.

There a re a couple of groups around, was once at a gathering but nothing to write home about. But it's totally possible that there are some I don't know about.

SOPA
  • Joey_V
    I’m gonna have to try and start one group someday
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    The family I was referring to lived in Fairfield. They liked that area a lot, and they have lived in some nice areas in several different states.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    WLDock wrote: »
    The family I was referring to lived in Fairfield. They liked that area a lot, and they have lived in some nice areas in several different states.

Excellent

I am in communication with the director.

I have negotiated a sign on bonus

Hopefully I can get moving costs covered
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Its nice that people are actually moving TO Ohio. Cincy Children's Hospital is ranked 2nd in the U.S. Hopefully yours will never need its services, but they took excellent care of our oldest.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Congrats on your move sir! I love southern Ohio, and have a son who lives in the Columbus area.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Best of luck to you! Just don’t start wearing tiger stripes.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Best of luck to you! Just don’t start wearing tiger stripes.

He has to earn that privilege ;)
  • Joey_V
    One thing that is a red flag is the amount of sign on bonus... makes me think twice...
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    One thing that is a red flag is the amount of sign on bonus... makes me think twice...

Is there a stipulation that says you have to pay it back if you quit within the first year?
  • Joey_V
    Clipdat wrote: »

Is there a stipulation that says you have to pay it back if you quit within the first year?

It's prorated payback, but I'm on the hook for 3 years total... which is fine.

Only issue with payback is the tax ramifications.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    verb wrote: »
    Congrats on your move sir! I love eastern Ohio

Indeed.
    Congrats Joey!

Verb, fixed it for ya! Nice and hilly out there. Makes for good H-D riding . . .

Joey, if your better 1/2 allows for a motorcycle, you'll be in heaven with yet another rabbit hole!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Yes it is very hilly and some nice topography!

I’m having a contract drawn up, it is predicated on a big board meeting on 11/15/2018. If the decision of the board is to go with a different physician group, then I’m leaving Dallas for Cinci.

I just asked for my moving expenses to be covered without dipping into the sign on. We will see if they would cover that.
  • Joey, I was born and raised in the greater Cincinnati area. I left in the early 70s, but still go back from time to time. With the love of a good family, I am sure you can make a wonderful home wherever your career may take you. Like any city of that size, it has a lot to offer. Give it time and you and your family will eventually feel like Cinci is "home". Good luck with your choice. I wish you all the best with your next "adventure".
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.