Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »
    Not sure why I got back into audio.. just diving so far down the rabbit hole...

-.-

You don’t know how deep a hole can be until you get into vinyl.....ugh!

LOL, yep, which is why some of us were a bit surprised at your plunge.

Like he had an itch that needed itching...

From 30 yrs ago.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited August 2018
    Options
    That's the dreaded "NIGHTMARE ENDING" to a lot of men's life's pursuit of nirvana. :s:'(

My step daughter said she would help my wife GIVE my stuff away if I go first. We were at a local burger joint when she said that, and I think the other people heard my exclamation to her. My blood pressure rose instantly to the max and I couldn't help myself. My wife looked like she was looking at a man she hadn't seen before. ;)

It just shows how little my step daughter knows about $. She's been given so much, she doesn't know OR CARE that her and her Mother could make SOME $ from my collections.

It also shows the laziness the 2 have to not want to instantly research an item to see what it MIGHT be worth.

Imagine getting a pr. of Triton Ones for 10.00 or 20.00. But even better, FOR FREE! :D

And getting 3-Adcom GFA-555II's for FREE too. :D

Well, what's different, nothing. Those 2 sat in this house 99% of the time while I built that building by myself. I asked for help once and the step daughter commented, "That is going to be YOUR building, why should we help you?". And they both just sat they doing nothing of importance.
    WTH...
    It was being built to do woodworking in, but still...

UNGRATEFUL people are everywhere. Even close by.

It's still tough to think about that moment! :#
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Once you hear/assemble/play with really good hi-fi, it's tough to go backwards. You've discovered what sounds good, what works well and have become accustomed to a certain level of fidelity, and there is no going back. No matter how good your intentions are, if you go backwards the level of aural satisfaction decreases pretty rapidly.

H9
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Yup
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Once you hear/assemble/play with really good hi-fi, it's tough to go backwards. You've discovered what sounds good, what works well and have come accustomed to a certain level of fidelity, and there is no going back. No matter how good your intentions are, if you go backwards the level of aural satisfaction decreases pretty rapidly.

H9

I think that this is quote material!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    mlistens03 wrote: »

I think that this is quote material!
    Nope. Too long winded. Got to condense. Consolidate.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I know somebody who says it’s better than getting married and giving away half your **** every five years.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Automobiles depreciate just as fast. Maybe faster since they only sell one year model at a time.

Audio products can have a multi year run if they're made well.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Altec hardware (e.g.) isn't depreciating. Nor Western Electric. Price a 755a sometime :)
    If one wants to approach hifi as an investment, it can be done. I do think it will take most or all of the fun out of it, though.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    I know somebody who says it’s better than getting married and giving away half your **** every five years.

Hmm...I dunno man. Another option - just spit balling here - is to marry someone you love way more than any hobby and just stick with that person?!? I know it’s crazy!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Upgrading audio is like making love in the sand....you don't want to stop, but you have to.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tony M
    Options
    I think I'm still pounding sand. :#
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    $100 shipping on an amp I'd be interested in doesn't PHASE me much.

That was a very POSITIVE statement. You're RIGHT and I am LEFT here agreeing with you.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,312
    Options
    Trey told me the truth the other night. He is going from an AVR to an integrated. What a putz.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Go play in traffic Mr Tom
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    Since Tom spilled it

The piece is...

Odyssey Kismet Integrated

Has a Candela tube preamp
    Kismet mono blocks...

Comes. In 3 enclosures, one for the right channel Amp, the power supplies for the left Amp and candela and the preamp and remainder of the Amp.

Should be fun.
  • VR3
    Options
    Hmm, this is more accurate

u7sojz31926j.jpeg
  • VR3
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The old Jvc gigatube systems are awesome. Sold new for 300 bucks like twenty years ago and they still go for over 300 bucks...

Just a good ol one note band pass... Good stuff lol

My first radio was a Jvc MXG50, atleast I believe that was the model

6ymirwvx1mj5.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    Yep, that was it!

md6xcek2hnmk.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    Yep, it's an odd piece... The owner had him convert it to mono blocks after it was built.

It generally is a two piece system where the power supplies are in their own enclosure.

But this one the left channel is in the integrated chassis and the right channel is in a standard mono block configuration
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    edited August 2018
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    My first radio was a Jvc MXG50, atleast I believe that was the model

Hi Trey! My first "stereo" was this 1983 JVC unit. I thought it was cool because:

1. It had "separate" components

2. It had a phono input

3. It played METAL tapes (And I was really into metal!) :p

n14ygt1n7xc7.jpg
    Post edited by Viking64 on
  • VR3
    Options
    That thing is sweet!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,312
    Options
    "I" spilled the beans? LOL

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~