Just cuz...

jdjohn
jdjohn Posts: 2,987
Well, my PS Audio S300 power amp has two pair of speaker outputs, so why not add a fresh pair of Baby Advent II into the mix?
p3gt2zcclrev.jpg
Infinity RSIIIa with these Advents...fun B)
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• jdjohn
    And just cuz...inverting the Baby Advents makes it even better :)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Beautiful pair of vintage awesomeness by Infinity. Be careful not to f em up with those little ones. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Shakes head......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Are you playing both pairs of speakers at the same time?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    i'm thinking the two sets of terminals are meant for bi-wiring, if the intent was for multiple set of speakers they would include switching on the front of the amp.
    i would be very careful of the impedance of the speakers you hook up.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2018
    ... a stacker... I'm kinda with @F1nut on this one. ;)

Unfortunately, this phenomenon has a real historical precedent.
    The Absolute Sound. :|

i7lzd5cf58o0.png
    qibiq80ur25i.png
    source: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/5746-stacked-advents-as-reviewed-by-the-absolute-sound-magazine/

And, in all fairness, Mark Levinson (the actual ML, not just the company that had his name after he divested himself of it) did it too... but at least he stacked Quad ESL-57s :)

xxpwfz7i9oam.png
    (borrowed image, of course)

In fairness (and seriousness), the Baby Advent II actually aren't bad little loudspeakers. Have you refreshed the crossovers in 'em? Decent-quality modern capacitors yield a marked improvement in transparency (for lack of a better word) IME.

24564116830_9f96de403f_b.jpg123 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• jdjohn
    I was just kind of goofing around with this...had been wanting to try it for awhile. There are four pair of binding posts on the back of the amp (I mistakenly said two pair earlier), but marv is probably right that it is for bi-wiring. The Infinitys are 4-8 ohm, and the Baby Advents are 6 ohm, so both in the same range. I didn't turn it up very loud (it was late), and obviously it looks a little obnoxious, so this setup won't stay.

Mark, thanks for the tip on the crossovers. I'll definitely check that out since it should be a simple replacement. I've already re-foamed the woofer surrounds. They do sound pretty darn good as sealed bookies.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I suppose it could be worse.......you could stack some sda's

q448iz3ik3jl.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I suppose it could be worse.......you could stack some sda's

q448iz3ik3jl.jpg

I did just that with the SDA-SRS2's and SDA-CRS's. They are the same size. I did not play both at the same time though. If my SRS2's were the 8 ohm versions, maybe I would've. Maybe just for a volume experiment. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2018
    But... but... stacking SDAs!?
    Think of the waveform interference patterns?!
    Think of the energy!!

It'd be like... like... crossing the streams!?!

oIxPiv.gif

Wouldn't it?

;)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043

I did just that with the SDA-SRS2's and SDA-CRS's. They are the same size. I did not play both at the same time though. If my SRS2's were the 8 ohm versions, maybe I would've. Maybe just for a volume experiment. :D [/quote]

I had separate amps for each pair of sda's so I was able to and did play both pair at the same time. I look at that experiment now as just another mistake made while headed down the audio trail.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I actually did that with my old 2.3 and 1.2 side by side hooked up to 2 different sunfire amps but, I did not have the sda cable in. I will say it moved quite a bit of air!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.