DAC suggestions

ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,813
So first, I currently have a Peachtree DACiT (not even the X model...just the original).
I like it. It doesn't excel and it doesn't disappoint. It just is.
I use it for my laptop and for my Sonos Connect.

So here is what I am looking for...
New or used
Integrated headphone amp (I will be selling my Little Dot I if I can find this)
USB and at least 1 SPIDF
Prefer black but not a deal breaker
Cheap (I can get around $100 after fees and shipping for the DACiT and then around $50 for the Little Dot and when I throw some mad money into the fray, I have some wiggle room in the $200-$400 range but could go slightly higher for the right piece)

The Music Hall 25.2 and 25.3 are both going in that range on the used market but I have now been sniped on no fewer than 4 of them. But it is exactly the type of thing I am looking for.
I really want to consolidate the DAC and headphone amp to clear up some space in my office and to maybe take a couple of little steps up the food chain.

So who has some thoughts?
"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,926
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 24,016
    Something like this would be excellent.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audio-GD-Compass-Headphone-Amplifier-DAC-Preamp-1000mW-Discrete-OPA-as-new/253796362508?hash=item3b1771290c:g:2ocAAOSwUn9Z5q3c&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=10&_sacat=0&_nkw=keces&_from=R40&rt=nc

Audio GD was all the rage a few years ago. They made/make some solid gear at a reasonable price.

Keep them in mind as they will fill your needs and not drain your pocket while still delivering great sound.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2018
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,413
    I also had an audio gf for quite some time and liked it a ton. Forget which model but I sold it here to Skip who then sold it after a bit as well.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,413
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,885
    I also had an audio gf for quite some time and liked it a ton. Forget which model but I sold it here to Skip who then sold it after a bit as well.

Audio girlfriend?? I think selling them is illegal. :o
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic