Power Tube Question

NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
Is it normal for a 5U4G power tube to glow purple, flicker purple, etc. when it's first turned on? I don't recall ever seeing this happen. Even after they settle down there's still two small sections of "wire" (filament?) inside the tube that stay purple until the tube has been powered up for several minutes which the purple then goes away completely. I feel like this is an indication that the tube is on it's way out or is somehow leaking but thought I'd ask the forum since after it totally warms up it looks like normal. Should I pull and trash it?

Sorry for the horrible picture. I don't have a tripod and close up shots the shutter stays open so long that I inevitably move the camera.

besiowu.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Comments

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    Here's a video

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,945
    edited August 2018
    Not normal in a 5U4 IME & to the best of my knowledge. My guess is that it's "gassy" = bad. Now, it is possible that it's a symptom of another problem (specifically, excessive current draw by the components "downstream" of the HV rectifier), but it may well also be (as an MD would put it) idiopathic. I.e., it's gone bad because... it's gone bad B)

Is that, by any chance a "modern" 5U4 (more to the point, a Chinese or even Russian tube)?

I'd replace it, were it mine. Do you have access to a tube tester?

https://hackaday.com/2015/01/17/vacuum-tube-repair-after-a-spectacular-failure/
    http://k5jxh.com/odds-ends/gas.html
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,262
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Is it normal for a 5U4G power tube to glow purple, flicker purple, etc. when it's first turned on? I don't recall ever seeing this happen. Even after they settle down there's still two small sections of "wire" (filament?) inside the tube that stay purple until the tube has been powered up for several minutes which the purple then goes away completely. I feel like this is an indication that the tube is on it's way out or is somehow leaking but thought I'd ask the forum since after it totally warms up it looks like normal. Should I pull and trash it?

Sorry for the horrible picture. I don't have a tripod and close up shots the shutter stays open so long that I inevitably move the camera.

besiowu.jpg

this is a rectifier tube not a power tube.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    edited August 2018
    It's an old RCA.

Thanks for the correction Marv.

I'm pretty sure the only other 5U4G I have is the Chinese one that came with the preamp. I'll see if I can find it.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,836
    I mean I don't know much about tubes but did do some research on Google. I found a thread where a gentleman described his tube looked like a Tesla coil for a second then stopped.

To me it looks like a Tesla coil but you are the better judge of that...he replaced the tube and all was well after that. Granted this was a different tube type (EL84) but here you go if you want to read and see if it matches up to what you see.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
    True although, of course, a 5U4/5U4G/5U4GB HV rectifier is a high power tube in most audio applications (all the HV juice, at least, flows through it!) and dissipates a lot of heat, akin to a power output tube.

hnqbw4m17gxf.png
    I just meant power as in involved with power delivery to the preamp, not as in amplification power. The 6V6 in there is also in that same category. It made sense in my head, if incorrect.
    edited August 2018
    As the RCA manual scan I posted indicates, an HV rectifier like that one is indeed considered a "power-handling tube", so you're good. Folks with hifi interests probably tend to think of power output tubes when they see "power tube", which is OK, too.

Now, if you start calling, say, EL34s tetrodes, well, then... we'll have to have a little discussion, methinks.

;)

PS the RCA scan is from RCA Receiving Tube Manual RC-23 (from 1964).
    If you don't have any (all!) of the tube literature at Pete Millett's wonderful site... you should. :)

http://www.tubebooks.org/tube_data.htm

Lots of other wonderful things on Pete's site, plus, like Nelson Pass, he has a comprehensive and excellent site of DIY projects, too @ www.pmillett.com :)

ebnm1515d0et.png

edited August 2018
    oops, derp... misfire.

sowwy.