iOS12

Options
Wish me luck, installing the iOS12 beta on my old iPhone 6 Plus to hopefully speed up performance.....

Link to the article that posted some info on the beta
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Sweet Jeebus, Dan! Get a new phone you cheap bastage!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    Is it out? I can’t wait to install it on my iPad Mini 2, it’s getting slower and sllooowwweeeerrrrrrrrrr. Hoping that the update will give me speed!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sweet Jeebus, Dan! Get a new phone you cheap bastage!
    LOL... nope...... not for now.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Is it out? I can’t wait to install it on my iPad Mini 2, it’s getting slower and sllooowwweeeerrrrrrrrrr. Hoping that the update will give me speed!

Yes its out in Public Beta so you can download it, but its at your own limited risk.....

The link above can get you there and there are instructions on backing up your device and saving a copy of it so you can revert back to iOS11 if needed.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m part of the team that built this, the directive from day one was ‘make the older devices faster’. Everything else we added like the other features are cool and all, but this was always about a) getting people to use their devices LESS and b) making old devices faster and the vast majority of the work we did went into those two.

It’s not fully done yet, there are still some kinks being worked out on the speed optimization, but this is the most stable beta I’ve been a part of.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    If you guys run into issues post them here and I’ll make sure the dev team hears about them.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Yeah I can wait for the official release. I'm tired of beta testing things
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I’m part of the team that built this, the directive from day one was ‘make the older devices faster’. Everything else we added like the other features are cool and all, but this was always about a) getting people to use their devices LESS and b) making old devices faster and the vast majority of the work we did went into those two.

It’s not fully done yet, there are still some kinks being worked out on the speed optimization, but this is the most stable beta I’ve been a part of.

May I ask, how did you make it so people would use their devices less? I’m just intrigued on how that would be done.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited June 2018
    Options
    We added a suite of tools that let users see how much they’re using various apps and stuff and limit that if they wish. So if you suspect that you’re spending too much time on Facebook this will allow you to see exactly how much and then place limits on that if you want. It also makes for a great way for parents to limit things for their kids as well.

Sure, you can easily make the argument that people can and should moderate themselves, this just adds some tools to make that easier.

To clarify before someone jumps in, no this is not big brother spying on you and limiting how much you can use your phone, this is just about giving you the information and tools to limit that if you wish.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    I think that’s great Danny! It’s so easy to lose track of one in these devices, and I have children that are quickly coming up that age, so I think this is a welcome improvement!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options

Danny:

So far Day 1 here are my thoughts:

I feel like you've tweaked a lot of stuff. My phone is faster, the screen feels brighter/contrastier (not a word but who cares).... I feel like you guys tweaked the fonts a bit (not in a bad way just it seems like they are "better"). This especially holds true in text messaging.

Nothing functionally is worse as to just how I normally use my phone, beyond it feeling faster. Is that just expectation bias? Time will tell of course.

Everything works fine as it stands, but I also dont do a lot more than basic phone stuff.

Some cool stuff I like: The drop down from text messaging to call. Much smarter way to do it than it was before.

The screen time thing looks cool, I will have to play with it more when I have time.

Otherwise things feel different. Not different in a bad way, but just that lots of little things change and you cant put your finger on all of them, but you know things just are working better/easier.

I will dig into the "extra's" later. For now I mainly did it to try and get that speed increase and any other slightly better things I could from my old iPhone 6 Plus.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, working on something like this that millions of people will use is a rewarding experience especially when you have direct input on the final product. The drop down to call from the text screen you referenced was my idea and we got to include it which was nice, couple other ideas I had will make the next cut.