Opinions on tube preamps-Joule Electra, Dehavilland, CJ, etc.

Options
Hello everyone. I am looking to upgrade my tube preamp. I'm looking for something in the $1000-1500 range used. I prefer remote but it's not a deal breaker. I will be using this with an Anthem Amp 2 SE, Rogue Eighty-Eight Magnum, Prima Luna Prologue 4, and a small single ended EL34 tube amp. Speakers include fully modded CRSs, partially modded SRS-2s, Monitor 7As with RDO-194s, LSIM 703s, ZU Omens, and DCM Time Window 3s with REL Sub.

I'm looking for something with good tube mid-range, but not overly rolled off in the lows and highs. My only current complaint with my system is sometimes the bass can be a little over-done. I'm looking for something that has good bass extension, but is very tight and has excellent definition and control of the lows.

Preamps that I'm currently looking at/considering are a Joule Electra LA 100 MK3 with upgraded caps, a stock Dehavilland Ultra Verve 3, recently refreshed Joule Electrica LA 100 (original, how does this compare to the MK3?), and a Conrad Johnson PV-15. I'm also considering the Rogue 99 Magnum, RP-1, and RP-5. What are your thoughts on this? Also are there other tube preamps I should be looking at in this price range? Thanks!

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I know that this is a year old post, but does anyone have any suggestions?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    I went from a Rogue 99 pre to the Dehavilland Ultra Verve3. Both use the 6SN7 tube which I prefer over the 12a_7 signal tubes. I may be able to offer you a nice deal on the Rogue if you're interested.
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Talk to me @dhart86 if @xsmi is not. I may be. I have a ton of 6sn7 tubes looking for other uses than a buffer.
  • dhart86
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Talk to me @dhart86 if @xsmi is not. I may be. I have a ton of 6sn7 tubes looking for other uses than a buffer.

Ok brotha..give me a couple days to figure out what I'm doing and I'll get back to you
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• dhart86
    edited June 2019
    Options

Sorry about the delay @pitdogg2 , I had a buddy over last week and he was interested in one of my spare pre-amp/ line stages. He auditioned a Eastern Electric Minimax w/ Tutay upgrades and the Rogue 99. He needed a couple days to get the funds and was leaning toward the EE Minimax. However, when he returned with the money yesterday he opted for the Rogue. So the 99 is not available anymore, but I have an Eastern Electric Minimax w/ Tutay upgrades if any may be looking for a tube pre-amp. Sorry about the Rogue guys...
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    It’s ok. I was leaning in a different direction anyway.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »

Sorry about the delay @pitdogg2 , I had a buddy over last week and he was interested in one of my spare pre-amp/ line stages. He auditioned a Eastern Electric Minimax w/ Tutay upgrades and the Rogue 99. He needed a couple days to get the funds and was leaning toward the EE Minimax. However, when he returned with the money yesterday he opted for the Rogue. So the 99 is not available anymore, but I have an Eastern Electric Minimax w/ Tutay upgrades if any may be looking for a tube pre-amp. Sorry about the Rogue guys...

Thanks but I have way too many 6sn7 tubes to start buying other tubes.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Dehavilland all the way baby.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    All those pre's are nice and wouldn't kick any out the rack for playing Carpenters music. Just my opinion, but the Joule and Dehavilland are the top contenders in your list of choices.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable