In honor of personal bouts of stupidity...

FestYboy
FestYboy Posts: 3,861
May I present: The Tip of the Day

Don't kick the brake caliper box (when it's full)
voz5zfdedmdw.jpg

Yes folks, this was a failed 53yd field goal attempt.

Feel free to regail us with your own personal stories and TotD (pictures are encouraged)

Comments

• FestYboy
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The Tip of the Day...NO TOE PICKS ALLOWED ..without nail polish :)

I can fix that...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    When I was hanging drywall in the theater, I managed to drop a 4x10x5/8 sheet of drywall on my left pinky toe from about 4' off the ground.
    The impact hurt for about 1/100th of a second before my entire foot went numb. About an hour later, it was 75 different shades of purple with some yellow and brown thrown in for good measure.
    Nothing broken but the next day I could barely walk.

So nope...you do not have a monopoly on self stupidity. Hehe.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That's why there are so many strip mall and med. size building, Emergency Centers in this country. Little human "Oh crap" moments. ;)

My broken toe story. :s

I was walking past my bed. Hit my little toe on the foot post! Broken!

I go to one of those quick emergency centers and they tape it to the other one next to it. 80.00 broker after that. X-rays are $$. This was 40 years ago. But I remember the pain of trying to walk for a month I guess. And I do rember bumping it again while it was healing! :s:'(

That little toe has a lot of nerve endings, ;) doesn't it!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Bouts of stupidity? I'm happy when I have a day with a bout of intelligence.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2018
    Three fingers spilt lengthwise under and through the nail bed, and a 4th sliced through the joint near the top while working on an F/A-18. No pain meds of any kind while the Navy doctors spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to fix things. Their solution was to amputate the tips of all four fingers at the joints. I told them to fix my hand in some rather colorful language that only a sailor could appreciate.

My fingers all work as they should, but my index finger is about a quarter inch shorter than it should be and the ring finger has two overlapping segments of nail bed that sometimes causes problems. The middle one works just fine!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I was at a friends house and I sat through 15 minutes of "Game of Thrones". What a stupid idiot I was. :/
  • FestYboy
    edited May 2018
    Three fingers spilt lengthwise under and through the nail bed, and a 4th sliced through the joint near the top while working on an F/A-18. No pain meds of any kind while the Navy doctors spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to fix things. Their solution was to amputate the tips of all four fingers at the joints. I told them to fix my hand in some rather colorful language that only a sailor could appreciate.

My fingers all work as they should, but my index finger is about a quarter inch shorter than it should be and the ring finger has two overlapping segments of nail bed that sometimes causes problems. The middle one works just fine!

:o:s:# dude!!! Sorry, but I can't handle hand injuries, they give me the willies. You could cut yourself in half, and I'd say "oh, that's interesting", but show me a pic of an injured hand and my brain projects that injury onto me, and well, ::shivers:: bleh lol

Edits for grammar and autocorrect mistakes
  • FestYboy
    Oh by the way, John, how did it happen? Where did the personal bout of stupidity come into play? ;) Details, man :D
  • nooshinjohn
    I could reveal more, but then I’d have to kill you. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    As long as that middle finger works that is all that matters
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116

I think you should tell him... >:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    John that’s nothing, take a look at what a really messed up hand looks like... been in constant pain for almost 24 years! (Yep that’s a wedding ring all right LoL :smiley: )
    vxkyt1os3ldi.jpeg
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I had reservations for four at Dorsia on a Friday night and I cancelled them for no reason whatsoever.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Personal bouts of stupidity... well, here goes nothing...

I bought a pair of Klipsch KG .5s from the flea market, and when I listened to them there, they sounded really good! As I was walking out to the car, I stacked them on top of each other (you see where this is going) and the top one slid off, fell 4 feet to the ground, landed in a fairly deep puddle (about 3-4 inches) I was walking through (I would’ve had to walk 3-400 feet to get around this puddle, it wasnt very wide just so long so I went through it) and the cabinet shattered. I tried to rescue as much as I could, but there was nothing that really could be rescued. I actually still have the orphan speaker, here is a pic:
    bem6d8tb3pxi.jpg
    Other than the cracks in the tweeter faceplate (also my stupidity, but I managed to seal them back up) it is really clean. The other one was even better, but now it’s sitting in peices in the bottom of a dump somewhere. :cry:
  • FestYboy
    vmaxer wrote: »

Hey! :/:'(
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2018

Ok... I will. >:)

I was down the intake inspecting fan blades for damage when a very strong gust of wind came through the turbine end of the jet. It caught me by surprise and my fingers as I was trying to pull them out of the way. The meat of the fingers was peeled off across the tops, and the bone inside my index finger exposed and crushed.

It was not pretty. Recovery took nearly 6 months, and that was before rehabilitation of the fingers took place. I used to have a deadly accurate fastball that was near 90mph, and would find the catchers mitt anywhere he wanted it to be. Afterwards, I could hit the mark two out of three. The one that missed would hit the dirt, the backstop, or the batter.

I just need your address so the aircraft can deliver the proper strike package without risking collateral damage.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If I had a metal for every stupid thing I did, I'd look like a war hero going back to every war from the middle ages on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    edited May 2018
    I heard you were awarded the Purple Fa rt Tony...

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    xitcbal7kug7.jpg

'nuff said! :smirk:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    FestYboy wrote: »
    May I present: The Tip of the Day

Don't kick the brake caliper box (when it's full)
    voz5zfdedmdw.jpg

Yes folks, this was a failed 53yd field goal attempt.

Feel free to regail us with your own personal stories and TotD (pictures are encouraged)

Dude you need a peddy! Thanks for sharing something I cannot now unsee! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So, in the spirit of full disclosure, I recently dropped a full box of solid oak flooring on my toe! Yes I was wearing super thin jogging shoes. No protection. Looked actually a little worse than your big piggy Festivus! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy

Ok... I will. >:)

I was down the intake inspecting fan blades for damage when a very strong gust of wind came through the turbine end of the jet. It caught me by surprise and my fingers as I was trying to pull them out of the way. The meat of the fingers was peeled off across the tops, and the bone inside my index finger exposed and crushed.

It was not pretty. Recovery took nearly 6 months, and that was before rehabilitation of the fingers took place. I used to have a deadly accurate fastball that was near 90mph, and would find the catchers mitt anywhere he wanted it to be. Afterwards, I could hit the mark two out of three. The one that missed would hit the dirt, the backstop, or the batter.

I just need your address so the aircraft can deliver the proper strike package without risking collateral damage.

I'm cringing just reading that. And I'll respectfully decline giving up my address :p
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I used to have a walk-behind, gas-powered lawn vac that also functioned as a chipper/shredder. Ever wonder why they'd have to put a sticker on the chute warning not to stick anything (like your hand) inside while the engine was running? Yeah, me too, until I did just that... Well, technically, I had turned the engine off, but stuck my hand in to clear a jam a fraction of a second too soon. Cut the tip of my pinky finger almost completely off. The only thing left connecting it was the nail, which held on long enough for the tip to begin healing. Lots of triple antibiotic! And then I lost the nail for a while...
  • nooshinjohn
    It was nearly a year before I had a nail on my index finger. Until it settled in, the tip was a maleable mess.

• nooshinjohn
    I had a stainless steel watch band arc against a car battery and instantly melt a one inch square hole in my wrist. It took 9 months for that hole to close, and a couple years for the stainless steel to be forced out...

• verb
    I was replacing a switch assembly on our ceiling fan in the master bedroom years ago when the kids were little. High ceilings, 12 foot ladder. Started to disassemble, kids were fighting, had to intervene. Resumed working on the fan, forgot to turn the power off, zap! Just enough to lose my balance and fall off the ladder!

Luckily, I fell backwards and landed right on the bed!

No injuries, just that since then I have an irrational fear of working on the wiring in the house! I triple check to make sure the circuit is off!

@lightman1 help me! :smile:
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    verb wrote: »
    I was replacing a switch assembly on our ceiling fan in the master bedroom years ago when the kids were little. High ceilings, 12 foot ladder. Started to disassemble, kids were fighting, had to intervene. Resumed working on the fan, forgot to turn the power off, zap! Just enough to lose my balance and fall off the ladder!

Luckily, I fell backwards and landed right on the bed!

No injuries, just that since then I have an irrational fear of working on the wiring in the house! I triple check to make sure the circuit is off!

@lightman1 help me! :smile:

Where you at?!