'Unspoken' Flea Market Rules

Options
AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
edited April 2004 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Maybe I'm way off here, but I've seen a few things lately that have pissed me off...

- People posting links to their own Ebay auctions
- People selling something for more than what they paid (in the same condition) - take a look at the CS400 thread...
- People going behind the backs of forum members making offers on items. Most recent example is the Denon 3801 I'm buying, we agreed to the purchase and price on the site here, and now people are emailing him with different offers trying to get him to sell to them instead, I don't know who and really don't want to know. Lucky for me the seller is a great guy and is sticking to his original offer.

Overall, I think this is a great place and the above doesn't happen often, but I fear that if it goes unmentioned, it may slowly get worse (the whole frog in boiling water analogy applies here)

I think it would be a good idea to have a few flea market rules outlined, even if some are more of a courtesy than hard rules. Okay, I'll start:

1 - Don't list your own Ebay auctions on here! You're not doing anyone here a favor. If you're going to sell here, then sell here, don'y just post your Ebay stuff though.

2 - If you buy something on here or Ebay, don't try to sell it here for more than what you paid (unless of course you invested money for new parts, service, etc)...that's just not right.

3 - The first person who shows interest in an item is the first person on the list to buy the item.

4 - As an extension of #3, don't step on other people's toes and just be respectful. If you see a deal is made here on the forum, don't go sending the seller emails with further offers, even if they are more $$$

In the marketplace of the outside world (Ebay, etc) the above rules don't and maybe shouldn't apply, but I think this forum is different. Although everyone has to make money, I think the goal here is to help each other out. There's a comradery that exist here that doesn't exist elsewhere, and I think to keep that in tact, we have to think about the way we do things...

I'm still fairly new, so if I'm outside my mind with this thinking, someone let me know and I'll shut up...

Anyone else have any other 'rules' they'd like to add...
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited April 2004
    Options
    well theirs a few things i don't agree with,,,, But alot of good points...

1.Does it really matter what was paid for it?

2. what's wrong with letting people know you have e-bay auctions, (maybe keep this to older members being allowed) i dunno

3. I can see not listing it here and e-bay at the same time though

4.I think, keeping everything public until it comes down to payment is best, IMO...

It doesnt have to be so hard, if you don't feel cool about a sale, pass period... stick with known members and you wouldnt have to worry about alot of these problems.. Its mostly newer people doing this stuff NO?

oh and 5. maybe no more confusing, i'll take it unless someone else wants it.. then later say no, then later say well i replied first.. so i get dibs.. That is what gets everyone confused... I want it, i don't, now i want it again...

and lastly.. Just because something went for so much or so little on e-bay, doesnt mean that is what you want for it up or down from that price, I mean if we all hate e-bay links and references... lets not use that as a reference for worthyness
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • bokdaddy
    bokdaddy Posts: 176
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think you hit every nail on the head. I started coming to this forum just to get information, but what I found was a community with more honor than most online forums. I think those rules are definitely something we should all follow.
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • Drewsmith
    Drewsmith Posts: 160
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I think most people here are genuinly honest and upfront, at least with the people I have dealt with. Maybe a little more caution should be stressed.

I don' totally agree with only buying from people who have been around for a while. My 1st post here was selling a few items. Probably (now that I know) was not a good way to introduce myself to the forum.

I did manage to sell my items and have most definetly stuck to my word, and even then sold more to help someone out than my own personal gain.

I guess it's quite sad that people stoop to being scam artists. Those are some honorable type guidelines, that maybe are a good outline of the buying/selling process.

My .02 anyway.
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2004
    Options
    You are right. But we have a set of unwritten rules, sort of an honor system. We, the more respectable members, look out for each other and follow them.

If you find someone trying to do you, let everyone know about it. We'll run they're **** out on a splintery wooden rail.

We have kicked this idea around a few times already. This isn't exactly preschool, you do have to use common sense. But we try to watch each others backs, and adhere to the same standards.

It ain't perfect, but it works...:cool:
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited April 2004
    Options

I agree, just because lab350 was able to purchase this speaker from someone for below market value does not mean that he needs to resell it for less than market value when he is finished with it. Even if his only intentions were to flip it for a profit, so be it, it's called capitalism.

Just my opinion

<edited to reflect proper seller of the CS400>
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • warlocks1
    warlocks1 Posts: 1,212
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Polkmaniac, I hope you don't feel as if I was trying to steal the 3801 from you. I had no emails or PM's with the gentleman. When I started typing my interest, your post was not there. By the time I finished and posted, yours was ahead of mine, so I bowed out. I fully agree with the guidelines but don't know if it is possible to enforce. Thanks, Jeff
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    well theirs a few things i don't agree with,,,, But alot of good points..
    2. what's wrong with letting people know you have e-bay auctions, (maybe keep this to older members being allowed) i dunno
    3. I can see not listing it here and e-bay at the same time though
    4.I think, keeping everything public until it comes down to payment is best, IMO...

and lastly.. Just because something went for so much or so little on e-bay, doesnt mean that is what you want for it up or down from that price, I mean if we all hate e-bay links and references... lets not use that as a reference for worthyness
    1 - To me it does, but I'm just one person, the forum may not agree with me...But let me illustrate - I recently bought a Sony receiver from Doro (Mark) for $250 shipped. How would Mark feel if I turned around and sold that same receiver on here for $350? I know I wouldn't feel right about it and could never do that, would feel like I'm taking advantage of the generosity that Mark showed me in giving me a great deal (that same receiver goes on Ebay for >~$350. Could I get $350 for it, sure, but just wouldn't be right.
    3 - I don't know, just feel like this forum should be reserved for sales completed here, not serve as a bulletin board for Ebay sales. Not really a big deal I guess...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by warlocks1
    Polkmaniac, I hope you don't feel as if I was trying to steal the 3801 from you. I had no emails or PM's with the gentleman. When I started typing my interest, your post was not there. By the time I finished and posted, yours was ahead of mine, so I bowed out. I fully agree with the guidelines but don't know if it is possible to enforce. Thanks, Jeff
    No man, you did the honorable thing on that thread, totally wasn't referring to you...didn't mean to come across that way...

I agree enforcing might be difficult, but they could at least serve as guidelines, we currently don't have anything to go by...

Besides, I've seen that the forum itself has a way of 'enforcing' things...
  • Drewsmith
    Drewsmith Posts: 160
    edited April 2004
    Options
    maybe you shouldn't be able to sell something until you have so many posts or have been around for so long.

Not that i'm saying that will solve things, but may serve as a introductory period to introduce yourself into the forum way of life.
    Epson 8100
    Directv HR24
    WDTV
    ONKYO 608
    POLK RTI70 Mains
    POLK CSI40 Center
    POLK RTI28 Surround
    HSU STF-2
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by nebborjk
    I agree, just because bokdaddy was able to purchase this speaker from someone for below market value does not mean that he needs to resell it for less than market value when he is finished with it. Even if his only intentions were to flip it for a profit, so be it, it's called capitalism.

Just my opinion
    Understood, and that's why I mentioned that that stuf is cool on Ebay and other places...just maybe not here...

I'm all for capitalism and people making a profit, just thought maybe this is one place where that wasn't the focus...
  • faster100
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Polkmaniac
    1 - To me it does, but I'm just one person, the forum may not agree with me...But let me illustrate - I recently bought a Sony receiver from Doro (Mark) for $250 shipped. How would Mark feel if I turned around and sold that same receiver on here for $350? I know I wouldn't feel right about it and could never do that, would feel like I'm taking advantage of the generosity that Mark showed me in giving me a great deal (that same receiver goes on Ebay for >~$350. Could I get $350 for it, sure, but just wouldn't be right.
    3 - I don't know, just feel like this forum should be reserved for sales completed here, not serve as a bulletin board for Ebay sales. Not really a big deal I guess...

well come on now... thats a totally different thing, sure common sense tells you, if you get a deal here.. and sell it back here.. then pass along at the same price.. Im talking... you find a 5.00 tuner and its worth 100.00 is it bad to ask 50.00 or some such??

but what is the limit really, you buy something here cheap, its not what you want/think... so can you sell it else where.. ?? see what im saying...

lets not make it so hard here.. The rules can be written till were blue in the face, people will follow what they will/choose...

The core members know whos safe around here, so that is why i said, if all else fails... stick to regulars...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    Options
    The flea market is just another polk forum. It is not an auction or a classified ad. It is a friendly forum. There are no general rules here other than you should treat people fairly and honestly. If you want selling rules why not go to ebay and audiogon. Just my opinion.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • faster100
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    The flea market is just another polk forum. It is not an auction or a classified ad. It is a friendly forum. There are no general rules here other than you should treat people fairly and honestly. If you want selling rules why not go to ebay and audiogon. Just my opinion.
    madmax

agreed...
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Well, I asked originally to let me know if I was off base, and apparently I was/am....

So I'll just drop it, thanks for the replies guys...
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Polkmaniac
    I think it is good to post some stuff from ebay and other sources on here...maybe not SVS or SDA's all the time...but if its a good deal and knowing someone will scoop it up then link it. Good example was the BIN Monitor 10's for 100.00 i ran across and posted it here, pjdami has been looking for some and he got a good deal. A Happy Polkie.

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Polkmaniac,
    I see you point about the Sony receiver. I would not nor would I recommend that someone resell within the forum for a higher price. I doubt that the original seller of the CS40 cares what happens to it after he has his money. I could be wrong.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I'd even go so far as to say that if pjdami were to turn those speakers for more money or part them out I wouldn't really have a problem with it.

Sure, most of us try to pass along good deals but you can't blame somebody for trying to get fair market value either.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • pixiedave
    pixiedave Posts: 227
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Look, it seems MOST of us are against the ebay link postings, I am. Althought I have done no audio trading, buying or selling in the flea market, funds wont allow:o There are people I have met here I would do buiseness with in an instant. I would never go through an ebay link, but this isnt my point.
    If everyone dislikes ebay links so much, have Justin ban them as one of the Commandments. make it first time a time out and second a banning. Even if it's a no affiliation post. we all no how to google and ebay, there is no neeed for links here.

And if enough people want those ebay linkd, then set up an ebay forum here so we can all steer clear from it.:eek:
    Purple.jpg
    You never blow your trip forever! < Daevid Allen
  • Pauly
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by pixiedave
    there is no neeed for links here.

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt that a link at the bottom of your sig??;)
    Life without music would
  • TheGrayGhost
    TheGrayGhost Posts: 196
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Maybe members, that use this forum to harvest or list items for sale, that are also running a middleman business should be required to reveal that fact.

If that is known a member that is trying to do a favor for another member can avoid dealing with a “for profit” individual.

I can see where a member (new or otherwise) may be tempted to take an offer from a middleman offering more or faster payment after making a deal with another member. This can only lead to trouble because some members are not forgiving of such a breach of member etiquette (of unspoken rules).
    Best Regards, Cliff
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2004
    Options
    To the older members who watch over things here I say Thank-you.

To the newer members who post great audio deals I say Thank -you.

To the person who screws a member just once good-by & no Thank-you.

The only other thing is I personally dislike are posts in flea market and e-bay/auctions at the same time.
  • Pauly
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    The only other thing is I personally dislike are posts in flea market and e-bay/auctions at the same time.

AGREED!
    Life without music would
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with providing a link to a eBay, Audiogon or other site sale/auction as long as it's not your own sale. Sure we all know how to surf those other sites, but it's possible to miss a item or perhaps someone will post something that I haven't been looking for and find interesting.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2004
    Options
    It's fine the way it is....it works....leave it alone.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2004
    Options
    What annoys me:

1. Posting a link to YOUR OWN ebay auctions. Either offer it up here, or don't. By posting a link to your own auctions, you sure as hell aren't doing us any favors.

2. Getting gear from another member, then selling for profit. Lots of grey area here, I know. Haven't had it happen to me personally, but I go as far as to actually ask someone for their blessing if I got a 'deal' on some gear from another member, before I even think about selling it. They may want it back, or they may know someone that needs the same deal. Half the reason they may have let the gear go for what they did, was probably as a favor to me - that shouldn't ever be exploited.

3. As far as selling gear for profit in general, I don't have any real issues. I do it ALL the time, but I try to price things where BOTH parties are happy. Sure, I could get more, sometimes MUCH more online, or elsewhere - but I get a kick out the 'extended family' feeling, hooking a fellow brotha up. THEY get a great deal with ZERO hassles or worries, I pocket a few bucks to go buy more 'deals'.

The one thing about selling gear for profit that DOES bug me, is when one brags about how little they paid, then turns arounds tries to sell for MUCH more. Ex - I brag about the $20 Advents I get, then offer them up a week later for $120. Not exactly wrong, but still kind of sorry, no?

3. Noob's jumping in, and using OUR Flea Market, but not actively participating in OUR community otherwise. Greed, plain and simple.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Basically, Russ sums up my points in his post and I agree 100%

Essentially, his points 1 & 2 coincide with my points 1 & 2. Apparently I am not very adept at expressing my thoughts via a written manner...

I didn't mean to indicate NEVER to sell gear for profit, just don't sell something you got on here for more than you gave for it...it's just wrong...

I also didn't mean to indicate to NEVER link to Ebay auctions, just don't link to your own auction...

I never thought about newcomer sales, but I guess it makes sense you should be posting elsewhere also and not just selling.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited April 2004
    Options
    1. Agreed ...

2. I sort of agree but it's too much of a PITA to control. Offer it at whatever price. Someone here either wants it at that price or they don't.

3. Noobs - agreed, but then it's buyer beware ... situations like this are not much different than buying at eBay direct.

The one I would like to include is ... imho interest for buying something and the resulting ordered list (not necessarily the final details of the sale) should be derived from public in thread responses as opposed to this coupled with PM's showing interest. The latter situation makes it impossible to objectively tell by all but the seller in what order potential buyers expressed an interest.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited April 2004
    Options
    How does everyone feel about posting links to an ad on Audiogon. I know I've posted an ad at audiogon (to get the piece out to the masses) and then posted the link here, but I offered it here at a lower price than I had listed at audiogon.

Just wondering for future reference...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I have no problem with Audigon ads just not auctions. It might be nice to offer here first at a discount or just discount off the audiogon ad, but not that big a deal to me. As far as the list of interest, this can be very confusing to establish, I know because I was involved in some. Botton line though I think a seller has the right to sell to whom he wants.

I have seen so many good deals here if you miss on something just stick around something as good or even better is likely to come around.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2004
    Options
    You guys are nuts. If I see some SDA's going for half of what they should be and I can't buy them I want to be able to post them here. Also, if I find a really cool mint tube amp worth $1000 used laying out in the street I don't see why I should offer it for any less than what I would offer it for had I paid $2000. What does it matter? It is still worth $1000. If I offer it for $500 that is one heck of a good deal for a fellow polk member.

If you guys are worried that someone makes out even though it is a great deal for both buyer and seller, well, there is something wrong with that and you should think about why you feel that way. (no one in particular). I bought a rare car once for 11K. The guy was VERY happy to sell it for that because he really wanted the money that day. It should have sold for $18K. Does that mean I can't sell it for $18K in the future? Think it over. :)

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D