Microsoft is heading into the future now! Very interesting read just put out today.

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,017
When I just read anothers post/link, I see this article from an attendee to the Microsoft conference. The World has definitely gone Computer Wild. Never to go back unless there's an electrical grid meltdown.

Tech Industry
Microsoft's obsession with Windows is ending, and I couldn't be happier
Commentary: It’s all about AI and the web now.
by
Ian Sherr
May 11, 2018 5:00 AM PDT

NurPhoto

A little over two and a half hours into Microsoft's Build conference this week in Seattle, I tuned out the live coding session, taking place on stage in a downtown convention center crammed with 6,000 software developers, and started playing a game in my head.
It was sort of like Where's Waldo. Except I was thinking "Where's Windows?"
According to my AI-created transcript of Microsoft's three-and-a-half hour opening keynote on Monday (which I sat through -- all of it), the word "Windows" was mentioned just a little more than a dozen times. And even then, it wasn't to extol the virtues of the monopoly-making software that powers nearly nine out of 10 PCs around the world. Instead, it was typically in relation to calling people "Windows developers," or describing how Microsoft's coding tools work across "Windows" PCs, Apple Macs and Linux-powered computers.
It was even worse for "PC." That term came up a whopping seven times, and usually only in passing. "It works on my Windows PC," "You're working on a PC" and so on.
The PC, and the Windows software that powers it, came across as mere window dressing (sorry).
For anyone who's followed the tech industry over the past couple of decades, Windows sitting on the sidelines at the developer conference of the company that made billions off of it speaks to the fact that we -- you, me, the tech industry at large -- just don't care about computers like we used to. Or tablets. Or most smartphones, even.
What we do care about is AI and the web. Or we will very soon.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella knows this. Microsoft declined to make him available for an interview, but I'm guessing that's why he and his team pitched themselves as the company whose stuff you use no matter what device you have. They see Microsoft as one of the key AI and web companies of the future. A company that will touch your life, whether you know it or not.

Satya Nadella sees a world beyond devices.
Getty Images
"The world is becoming a computer," Nadella said during his opening speech. "Computing is getting embedded in every person, place and thing. Every walk of life -- in our homes, in our cars, in our work, in our stadiums, in our entertainment centers; in every industry from precision agriculture to precision medicine; from autonomous cars to autonomous drones; from personalized retail to personalized banking -- are all being transformed."
And in this new age, the tech in your pocket and on your desk just doesn't matter as much anymore. Everything else is the new hotness.
And it's pushed Microsoft to make more of its technology available to everyone.
"We're finally being freed from dependence on specific devices," said Bob O'Donnell, founder and chief analyst of Technalysis Research, who's been tracking tech trends and the PC industry for two decades. "Hardware's important, but it's become a tool through which we experience these services."
So you're welcome everyone. A decade after Apple blanketed the the airwaves with those Mac vs. PC ads lampooning Windows as a well-meaning but inept and insecure technology, and after Microsoft responded with a series of ads about how awesome PCs actually are, the war over devices has come to a stalemate.
The world is becoming a computer.
Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella
Now Microsoft's beginning to spread innovations across the tech industry, like its Timeline feature that helps you keep track of apps you used, documents you wrote and websites you visited, no matter what device you were using.
We're all benefiting, regardless of whether we have an Apple iPad, Google Android-powered phone or an Alienware PC.
This is good for the industry. In the end, we're all going to win.
A big shift

Enlarge Image

It used to be that to Microsoft, the world revolved around Windows.
Sarah Tew/CNET
The difference in tone from the tech industry over the past year has been startling. And I don't just mean how political everything's gotten in the Trump era.
Just consider what the tech industry was excited about a decade ago. Life was dominated by accessories, programs, games and chips. New versions of Windows were celebrated at big, dramatic rollouts. Microsoft and its partners would spend hundreds of millions of dollars on ad campaigns and funding dramatic stunts like acrobats making a human billboard outside a building in New York.
That made some sense, since Windows runs the vast majority of the world's PCs -- we're talking hundreds of millions of devices. Each new feature was a chance to convince you to upgrade.
The approach continued until even just a year ago, when Microsoft was showing off an app to remix your photos and videos using a -- say it with me! -- PC powered by Windows.
Times change, though, and now it's all about the promise of AI, apps and services that work across devices.
By the way, Nadella isn't the only one who gets how important AI is.
CNET Daily News
Get today's top news and reviews collected for you.
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Interesting read Tony. I agree that the technology is tending toward surpassing proprietary platforms and software, and more toward universal use.

You can see it in almost any industry, past and present. From electrical power grids to automotive and even space, a lot of companies who were fierce competitors are now collaborating.

A simple instance of that happened to me when I was attempting to refurbish the AC unit on my 59 Chevy. The HVAC fittings were unique. Nowadays there are pretty much universal, no matter who makes the vehicle. I ended up having to fabricate adapters to allow modern, fittings to connect to the vintage unit.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    A corollary to the above, I did not know that the head of Damiler Benz (Dieter Zetsche) was such a futurist:

(excerpts related mostly to the automotive industry) :smile:

He predicted an interesting concept of what could lay ahead. In a recent interview, the Head of Daimler Benz (Mercedes Benz) said their competitors are no longer other car companies, but Tesla (obviously), and now, Google, Apple, Amazon 'et al' are!

Software will disrupt most traditional industries in the next 5-10 years.

Uber is just a software tool, they don't own any cars, and are now the biggest taxi company in the world.

Artificial Intelligence: Computers become exponentially better in understanding the world. This year, a computer beat the best Go player in the world, 10 years earlier than expected.

Autonomous cars: In 2018 the first self-driving cars will appear for the public. Around 2020, the complete industry will start to be disrupted. You don't want to own a car anymore. You will call a car with your phone, it will show up at your location and drive you to your destination. You will not need to park it, you only pay for the driven distance and you can be productive while driving. Our kids will never get a driver's license and will never own a car. It will change the cities, because we will need 90-95% less cars for that. We can transform former parking spaces into parks.

1.2 million people die each year in car accidents worldwide. We now have one accident every 60,000 miles (100,000 km), with autonomous driving that will drop to one accident in 6 million miles (10 million km). That will save a million lives each year.

Most car companies will probably go bankrupt. Traditional car companies will try the traditional approach and try to build a better car, while tech companies (Tesla, Apple, Google) will take the revolutionary approach and build a computer on wheels.

Auto Insurance companies will have massive trouble because without accidents, car insurance will become much cheaper. Their car insurance business model will slowly disappear.

Real estate will change. Because if you can work while you commute, people will move further away to live in a more beautiful neighborhood.

Electric cars will become mainstream about 2020 Cities will be less noisy because all new cars will run on electricity. Electricity will become incredibly cheap and clean: Solar production has been on an exponential curve for 30 years, and now you can now see the burgeoning impact.

Last year, more solar energy was installed worldwide than fossil. Energy companies are desperately trying to limit access to the grid to prevent competition from home solar installations, but that can't last. Technology will take care of that strategy.

With cheap electricity comes cheap and abundant water. Desalination of salt water now only needs 2kwh per cubic meter (@ 025 cents). We don't have scarce water in most places, we only have scarce drinking water. Imagine what will be possible if anyone can have as much clean water as he wants, for nearly no cost.

If it doesn't work with your phone, forget the idea. And any idea designed for success in the 20th century is doomed to failure in the 21st century.

Longevity: Right now, the average life span increases by 3 months per year. Four years ago, the life span used to be 79 years, now it's 80 years. The increase itself is increasing and by 2036, there will be more than one year increase per year. So, we all might live for a long time, probably way more than 100.

Education: The cheapest smart phones are already at $10 in Africa and Asia. By 2020, 70% of all humans will own a smart phone. That means, everyone has the same access to world class education.

Are you ready for all this? Hopefully I'll be retired by then! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    My take, the future looks grim.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    And all this technology began with human neuronal activity. Who is greater, creation or creator?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    And all this technology began with human neuronal activity. Who is greater, creation or creator?

tbd
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2018
    Options
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I have no doubt AI can and will enhance lives in some fashion. As usual though, humans will take it too far or use it for other purposes not intended.

AI though has a much higher destructive possibility. It's a tool, but when used the wrong way is almost endless in what it can destroy. I don't think some even pay attention to that as the possibility of creating new industries around it get in the way. You can't remove the human factors governing it, and that alone will take a good portion of AI down the wrong path.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Interesting to say the least.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • tonyb
    Options
    Can you imagine...an AI version of Russ. It would pee miracle grow instead of battery acid.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    The shrubs will proliferate like never before.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options

Good......burn baby burn!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I'm thinking Terminators and Skynet, or Cylons, either way we're doomed. Hubris always wins in the end.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    edited May 2018
    Options
    A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Almost laughable Dan. Your advocating for some sort of constitution for Robots. How well do you think that will work given we as humans can't even follow ours ?

Some things are nice in theory, but fall apart in the real world.

A robot will do what it is programmed to do...by humans, with all sorts of different desires and faults. Much like a computer, it was never intended to be used to steal peoples identity or help to commit crimes, etc.

IMHO, AI is a very powerful tool being put into hands of humans who have not evolved enough yet to handle it. No doubt in my mind it will be used for purposes much the same way past technologies have been used.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    PCs aren't going away any time soon. As was pointed out the vast majorities of businesses are totally invested in PCs and Microsoft, and they can't just afford to dump them. Nor will they do so until whatever comes next will be rock stable.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    PCs aren't going away any time soon. As was pointed out the vast majorities of businesses are totally invested in PCs and Microsoft, and they can't just afford to dump them. Nor will they do so until whatever comes next will be rock stable.

It's a gradual departure. T-Mobile is dumping all their PC'S for tablets in stores. With storage and processing becoming smaller and more powerful, a big PC days are numbered. Some like the PC though, just for the big monitor, for us visually impaired older folks. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Almost laughable Dan. Your advocating for some sort of constitution for Robots. How well do you think that will work given we as humans can't even follow ours ?
    Just FYI, I don't think Dan was personally advocating a constitution for robots...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Just FYI, I don't think Dan was personally advocating a constitution for robots...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

You let the cat out of the bag. I was wondering just how far that conversation could have gone. :p
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    As I heard an AI ethicist :) point out a year or so ago -- Asimov's Laws were/are flawed... and deliberately so, else he wouldn't have had fodder to use for the Robot books!

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Lol yes @tonyb

I was referencing Sci-Fi there and making a joke :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It'll all be about the $$$ in the $$eX Industry
    VHS vs Beta
    HD vs Blu-Ray
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • verb
    Options
    I look at the automotive industry and everyone (including mine) is racing toward autonomous vehicles. We already have a fleet running around our campus getting tons of testing miles on em. Very soon we'll be able to request a vehicle and take us to anywhere on site.

Ohio recently cleared the way for the entire state to allow autonomous testing.

Maybe not my generation, but the younger kids that I work with seem to embrace it. They're really not the car fanatics that I am, or my generation. They view transportation vehicles as more of an appliance.

I'm reminded of one of my favorite songs by Rush - Red Barchetta

https://youtu.be/nIZ73q9M-Gk
  • EndersShadow
    edited May 2018
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    As I heard an AI ethicist :) point out a year or so ago -- Asimov's Laws were/are flawed... and deliberately so, else he wouldn't have had fodder to use for the Robot books!

True but I bet they will be the starting point for whatever they come up with.

I think that the larger issue is that regardless of what it is MEANT FOR, it will be USED FOR the wrong thing.

Just like electricity. Used to power homes..... and kill people..... (not looking to start a death penalty debate, just a pint of reference)

So the closer we get to finding it, the closer we get to the good and bad aspects of it.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Red Barchetta.
    pcmq8oy6yta7.png

After reading the lyrics, yep, that about explains the future doesn't it. It's in the plan now. the news was released last week about flying cars! Amazing! :DB)

Give me the Red Barchetta for now! <3
  • verb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

True but I bet they will be the starting point for whatever they come up with.

I think that the larger issue is that regardless of what it is MEANT FOR, it will be USED FOR the wrong thing.

Just like electricity. Used to power homes..... and kill people..... (not looking to start a death penalty debate, just a pint of reference)

So the closer we get to finding it, the closer we get to the good and bad aspects of it.

I could use a pint of reference. :smile:
    o02kwh7mb9b6.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The latest update of Win10 seems, yet again, to have disabled the mic mute button on my keyboard.

I went into the privacy settings & turned off everything I could.

Jerks.
  • verb
    Options
    Growing pains? Driver injured after slamming into a stopped vehicle, in Utah, under control of Autopilot. According to the onboard data recorder, the vehicle did not brake!
    ee4lv9l1so08.png
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    on the bright side, it looks as though there was no immolation.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I'll bet some bowels moved though! :s