New Computer Virus Read Immediately!!!

Options
MTXMAN
MTXMAN Posts: 682
edited April 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
My computer recently recieved a virus through a friends address book. This virus attacks every address in your address book and your instant messengers. The virus stays dormant for 14 days before effecting your computer and it is not detected by most anti-virus software. The upside is that it's easy to get rid of. Run a search of all files and folders on your hard drives for "jdbgm" w/o the quotes if the virus is on your computer a file with a teddy bear icon will show up in the search DELETE THIS FILE IMMEDIATELY. you should repeat this search periodically to make sure it didn't get redelivered by someone else. you should also alert everyone in you address book and messengers. in my case this virus appeared in the system 32 folder and was even in one of my "last good configurations".

Hope you catch it in time... i thought my computer was slowing down...
Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
Post edited by MTXMAN on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    Options
    he's right, i just found out that it's a hoax here's the info from symantec it's self.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html
    Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, hot tempered, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i dont worry about viruses
    my computer has a built in virus
    i like to call it the Pentium I
    old **** POS computer...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2004
    Options
    MTX - It's cool that you did put forth the effort to notify people about it, either way.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yeah, gotta give him props for that

cody - i have a similar problem; i believe the virus i've got is referred to as 'slow-**** dial-up', or SADU for short. apparently it used to be a big problem, but at least it's slowly disappearing for most people
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yeah i have the SADU virus as well
    28.8 baby!
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    oh yeah, rockin on the 28.8 highway! with a quadraplegic at the wheel...

no offense intended to any who may be unintentionally offended by any reference to quadraplegics.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    lol, i think i should put some type of disclaimer in my profile
    **Disclaimer** If I offended you, I'm sorry that you're retarded, have a nice day**Disclaimer**
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    lol... nah, you've got like a bajillion posts, it's your prerogative to insult as you wish.

or perhaps the more subtle "Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and have his shoes."

Or just "Yes, you're entitled to your own stupid opinion."

• exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    the bumper sticker on my truck says it very well
    "Those who act like they know everything annoy those of us to do"
    :)
    i have 2 more
    one says "Pardon my bass"
    the other says
    "let the **** kicking commence"
    i want a NFC sticker...anyone remember those??
    -Cody
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Wow, that's a really old hoax. I remember it from a few years ago.
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by MTXMAN
    ...[1] it is not detected by most anti-virus software. ... [2]you should also alert everyone in you address book and messengers...
    These are the two biggest tipoffs that an email is a hoax. How in the world can someone expect me to believe that *they* just happened to find this "virus" but no antivirus software knows about it. There are hundreds of people working for McAfee and Symantec who do nothing but search for viruses all day and fix them. McAfee has literally thousands of dummy email addresses that they use to harvest spam and viruses.

If someone actually does catch a new virus before McAfee, anyone can submit it online and there will be a patch pushed to every McAfee customer within a week. I actually do tech support for McAfee for a living, so I know what I'm talking about. If everyone would do their stinking updates once a week, I probably wouldn't have a job. But, of course, the world is becoming very proficient at producing better idiots...I just love when people call in paying $2.95 a minute, "Your antivirus software sucks! I have it installed and I still got a virus. Why didn't you protect me? I'm switching to Norton!" Hmm...lets take a look at your subscription...what? your subscription expired about 3 years ago? Yeah, thanks for calling.

Moral of the story: Always get some kind of antivirus software, "it is not detected by most anti-virus software" - never true. Thanks for letting me vent. When people are paying 3 bucks a minute, they just don't seem to want to listen for some reason... :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    you should become a psychiatrist - this way, people pay you to have you talk at them for hours!

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    if anyone wants it -- i have a copy of norton antivirus 2000 with "infinite licence" -- the licence never expires... this will allow you to continue to download updates long past the 1 year limit -- only problem is that it will only work on windows 95 / 98 / 98 SE / and ME... its not XP/2k compatible.

i also have a copy of NAV 2002 which works with windows 2k and XP... the good thing about this little guy is that after your 1 year subscriptioin is up, you can UNINSTALL, and then REINSTALL the program, giving you YET ANOTHER YEAR FREE -- so once a year u just keep doing that... its a PITA, but its better than 30 bucks a year to update your "subscription".

if anyone wants copies of these... just email me here at vfs@buffalo.edu and i'll gladly send you a free copy for the cost of shipping (say $4.00 to send a cushy pack with 2 cd's in it UPS to anywhere in the USA)... i'm anti-companies.. all for free software... hell i've got a copy of windows XP that is supposed to be "only capable of installing on one computer due to microsoft's ingenius well engineered anti-piracy software that requires secure server authentication from microsoft.com to even load hte fking program" -- HAH! it's on about 15 - 20 computers already -- stupid bastids. NO ONE CAN DEFEAT THE CRACK-MASTER VINNIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE I SAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way -- www.zonealarm.com -- grab the free version.. its friggin GREAT. it actually keeps the damn blaster worm out --- i ran my computer for about a year now with windows XP and had no blaster worm patch installed.... didn't even run anti-virus software for a long time -- all i had was zone alarm, just to see how damn good it was... no blaster worm... then i disabled the firewall for like 10 minutes to install AOL 9.0 and POOF the damn blaster worm gets me.. oh well... i'll weed it out.

other good software includes -- Nero 6.2 Ultra edition, DVD X COPY PLATINUM FULL VERSION WITH THE RIPPER, imago web image editor, WinDVD 5, and loads of other **** i've cracked / found cracks for. email if u need any of it.

-- technopirate in the making.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited April 2004
    Options
    note: on the norton 2002 -- u can't actually let it EXPIRE -- u have to uninstall / reinstall like the day before it expires ... if u actually let it expire it leaves a tag in the registry that is a living **** to locate and remove.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    by the way -- www.zonealarm.com -- grab the free version.. its friggin GREAT. it actually keeps the damn blaster worm out --- i ran my computer for about a year now with windows XP and had no blaster worm patch installed.... didn't even run anti-virus software for a long time -- all i had was zone alarm, just to see how damn good it was... no blaster worm...
    Not to get too technical, but a firewall won't keep the Blaster worm off your computer. It WILL keep you from getting exploited (RPC Server Error - Shutdown in 60 seconds routine), but you can still get the Blaster on your computer w/ a firewall installed. That's probably the reason why you had problems as soon as you disabled zonealarm and connected to the net. I bet you already had the worm and didn't know it. When you disabled your firewall, it allowed you to be exploited. In fact, someone who knew what they were doing could exploit your computer the same way the blaster does with just an internet connection if you didn't have a firewall or the Windows Patch.

Also, if anyone would like the latest version of any of the McAfee personal products that never expires, PM me and I can give you a login, etc... but you didn't hear that from me ;)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    P.S. If you want to get rid of the blaster w/o having to purchase or install any software, McAfee has a small tool (~700k) that will remove any of about 40 of the most common or dangerous viruses around. Download the latest version here.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    its times like these that i wish i had memory...
    my computer has 40MB of ram
    i **** you not...
    im getting a new computer soon...
    Dude, I'm getting a Dell!!
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    wow... and i thought my girlfriend's pc was slow...

dude, you're gettin a dell?? good choice, amazing customer service, i've had to use it once or twice and they're great. not as good as polk's :), but great nonetheless.

why is abbreviated such a long word?

• AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    dude, you're gettin a dell?? good choice, amazing customer service, i've had to use it once or twice and they're great. not as good as polk's :), but great nonetheless.

why is abbreviated such a long word?
    1. Dell has amazing cust service? You must be talking about another Dell. McAfee has a service agreement w/ Dell for all their new computers. All Dell users get a free 90 day trial to McAfee and so get free support through us. Every other call I take, the first thing the customer says is, "You speak english!" Almost all their customer support goes to India now, so they (customers and customer service)have an extremely hard time understanding each other. Dell might make a good computer, but I'd never get one for their customer service. Maybe I'm biased since I built my own...

2. I'll answer the abbv question if you can tell me why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets or why they sterilize the needles before lethal injections :)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    Options
    yeah, i actually got the american service center once and they kicked **** but the indian's are kinda hard to understand... the warranty on my dell is friggin phenominal, 4 years or pretty much everything with the "complete care" package (if i spill something on it or drop it and break it they replace it :D )
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    1) hmm... maybe i was fortunate enough to get the american center each time. i wasn't even aware that there was an indian center.

2) or why they make sick people walk all the way to the back of the pharmacy to get prescriptions but healthy people can buy cigarettes up front... or why there's braille on drive-through ATMs...

• AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    MTXMAN - did you also buy the software service agreement? If not, they will replace the HW stuff, but if you have any kind of software problems after 30 days, it's like $70 for help. BTW, I do tech support for friends for cheap. (read free :))

So why is there an expiration date on Sour Cream? Why don't sheep shrink when it rains? (I've actually asked a few sheep farmers this one. It's fun. Only one has given me a plausible answer)

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • MTXMAN
    edited April 2004
    Options
    i'm pretty sure software is covered too... i got the best warranty they offered... heck if i'm paying that much for something it'd better work for a while... although in retrospect i shoulda just had one of my friends build one for me...

if you throw a kitten out your car window, is it kitty litter?

if a turtle looses it's shell is it homeless or naked?
  • AustinKP
    edited April 2004
    Options
    So, anyone know why we park on driveways and drive on parkways? Also, I've been wondering why it is that when you transport something by car it's called 'shipment', but when you transport it by ship it is called 'cargo'? Before this gets out of hand, check this out:

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited April 2004
    Options
    I have one!
    Can anyone tell me why a bunch of internet forum geeks try to sound like intellectuals?
    :D
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    no, that would ruin the geek mystique :p

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Dernit guys... I havent heard those in soo long... and you made me forget what I was going to post in some actual relevance to this post...

oh! I think abreiviated os so long top make up for all the letters you save by doin it.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • GT_03
    GT_03 Posts: 37
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Dell.com is having some amazing deals, i just got a Dimesion 4600 with a P4 3.06 w/ H.T. ;512memory; 120GB hard drive; and a 19" monitor for under $1000 shipped. Can't be happier, especially with my cable connection, i love Comcast!!
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    Options
    wow, that came totally out of left field...