EL-34 Tube Monoblocks in the House.

I recently picked up a pair of VAS Audio Citation II Monoblocks. I wanted to get back into an EL-34 Based Amplifier, and the Citations were just what I was looking for. They are rated at 50 Watt @ 8 Ohm (Ultralinear) and 25 Watt @ 8 Ohm (Triode), a perfect match for the efficient SDA's.

http://vasnyinc.com/pages/c2.php

These little Jewels have have transformed my 2-Channel set up, I can't explain just how good these Amps sound, that EL34 Tone is Intoxicating. Detailed, yet smooth is the picture being painted now. The sound I've been chasing for years, is finally here.

I have a Quad of Genalex Gold Lion KT-77's on tap now, and the presentation is as Emotional as I've ever experienced in my place. At this moment, I could not be happier.

The Citations are deceiving, as they weigh in at 31 lbs. each. They sport some very good Transformers that are dead quite, not a hint of Tranny Hum.

mjzdn5eh7wa6.jpg

bwjubypg84g6.jpg

eb3vhm6v7o4r.jpg

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff

Comments

• george danielgeorge daniel Posts: 11,944
    Attaboy!!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,317
    Hey George, looking forward to rolling in those Shuguang Treasures!
  • michaeljhsda2michaeljhsda2 Posts: 1,861
    Nice! It looks like the stock tubes are Shuguang EL34B's? Great tube IMHO. Can't wait to hear your impressions about the Shuguang Teasures. I thought about buying them but I was worried that the black paint would cover up the nice tube glow.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's w/ RD0198-1's, Sonicap, Mills
    AI-1 Dreadnought
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 1C's stock
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    SDA 2's (side by side tweeters) stock
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 9,929
    Glad I could help you buy them. Sweet!
    Nice! It looks like the stock tubes are Shuguang EL34B's? Great tube IMHO. Can't wait to hear your impressions about the Shuguang Teasures. I thought about buying them but I was worried that the black paint would cover up the nice tube glow.

I have some Gold Lion KT-77's in them now. Also have a Quad of EL34 SED SVETLANA Winged C's I've yet to roll in.

I'm not sure what the stock tubes are, but they do look very close to the Shuguang EL34B's. They sound VERY good for "Stockers".

vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Glad I could help you buy them. Sweet!

Many thanks Russ, all financial help is appreciated :)
  • TEAforONETEAforONE Posts: 38
    Simply beautiful!!
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Promitheus Audio,Pro-Ject,Hornshoppe,Nola,HSU,Onkyo.
  • MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 2,308
    That is a beautiful setup - nothing like the sound of EL34's, can't argue with that, all delicious and liquid, approaching magic, the sonic equivalent of twilight for photographers. Congrats!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel ,Dodd 50W Dual Mono EL34 Amp, MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp, Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded), A/L 1000VA Dreadnought, Canare 4s11 SDA cable, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Vincent Pho-700 Phono Pre, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / Pangea & Signal Cable MP power
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000
    LA Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp, Polk LSIM705, Marantz DV8300 SACD, Audioengine B1, MIT AVt3 Speaker & RCA Cables, PS Audio Power Punch power cables

Dodd Mid Level Preamp ("on the bench" w/Charlie)
    Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 Power Drive Amp
    Eastern Electric Minimax CDP
    Infinity RS5b Speakers

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,131
    Awesome man! The el34 is second only to the 845 for me.

Your system is definitely show-worthy.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,973
    vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    That's a really cool picture. The grey top section of the tube captured your reflection. You look like you're trapped inside the tube, like a genie in a bottle.

2.0 - Marantz NA8005 | Polk LSiM703 | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | Sanus UF30 | OC703 Panels

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | OC703 Panels
    Hermitism wrote: »
    vt6mb6bp7hu6.jpg
    That's a really cool picture. The grey top section of the tube captured your reflection. You look like you're trapped inside the tube, like a genie in a bottle.

LOL, now if I could just find Barbara Eden from back in the day :p

zuul wrote: »
    i'm so jealous. congrats.

my anthem amp 1 is EL34 based... i don't know what kind of music you listen to but after rolling some tubes in and out over the years i've found that as far as "new" tubes go svetlana hard blue tubes are great for the majesty of rock. guitar feedback is such that it sounds like there's a marshall stack in your room. matching quads for those are affordable.

i still aspire to get some NOS german power tubes for it some day... but for now i settle for having fancy NOS preamp tubes in it.

but yeah... those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!

Have you done the cap upgrade on that anthem?
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 1,594
    Nice Mike! Really nice . . . but now you've piqued my curiosity!

Signed,
    The Perpetually Enabled
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Definitive Technology BP-2
    DAC North Star Design Supremo
    Source PSA PWT & Oppo 105
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Pre Cary SLP-98 F1
    Center Salk HT2C
    Wires MIT S3.3
    PSA PC AC-12
    i'm so jealous. congrats.

my anthem amp 1 is EL34 based... i don't know what kind of music you listen to but after rolling some tubes in and out over the years i've found that as far as "new" tubes go svetlana hard blue tubes are great for the majesty of rock. guitar feedback is such that it sounds like there's a marshall stack in your room. matching quads for those are affordable.

i still aspire to get some NOS german power tubes for it some day... but for now i settle for having fancy NOS preamp tubes in it.

but yeah... those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!

Yeah, those nos European Power Tubes are getting outa sight! Thanks for rec on the Hard Blue Tubes, I'll check them out.

GlennDog wrote: »
    Nice Mike! Really nice . . . but now you've piqued my curiosity!

Signed,
    The Perpetually Enabled

Glenn, If an interested party would call Steve @ VAS Audio directly, they might be surprised at the price of admission. Just sayin...
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 856
    That is one very fine looking set up. I like the attention to symmetrics to; very well done.
    I guess that I am just dumb and slow,,but these are based off the old he tube amps ,many of which are still around,, good sounds eh?
    Congrats!!
    edited April 22
    I guess that I am just dumb and slow,,but these are based off the old he tube amps ,many of which are still around,, good sounds eh?
    Congrats!!

Well, that's the story George. Old Harman Kardon Citation design, split in two (mono's)

They are built offshore, but to exacting specs, with good components. All Point-Point hand wired, etc. Tube Retified as well.

Change out one capacitor and they'll accept the KT-66/KT-88 family. And yes, they sound Real Good ;)

• LegenderLegender Posts: 474
    Very nice Mike. Looks like I need to make another trip up to your place.
    Ride safe and see you tomorrow.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,965
    Nice Mike. Are those custom stands that you made for the amps?
    edited April 23
    Legender wrote: »
    Very nice Mike. Looks like I need to make another trip up to your place.
    Ride safe and see you tomorrow.

Doors always open. Safe travels to you as well.

Post edited by Mike Reeter on
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice Mike. Are those custom stands that you made for the amps?

Yes, I like too keep things off the floor!
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Simply beautiful!!
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    That is a beautiful setup - nothing like the sound of EL34's, can't argue with that, all delicious and liquid, approaching magic, the sonic equivalent of twilight for photographers. Congrats!
    DSkip wrote: »
    Awesome man! The el34 is second only to the 845 for me.

Your system is definitely show-worthy.
    i'm so jealous. congrats

those monoblocks are killer. enjoy!
    That is one very fine looking set up. I like the attention to symmetrics to; very well done.

Thanks everyone for all the Positive comments. I just wanted to gush a little about these stellar little amps!
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,970
    Nice looking room Mr. Mike!!!