NAD / Crown Amps ??? Yes / No /Maybe

Options
Currently on the prowl for a pair of SDA's. My current Rega Brio with it's 50 wpc. rating is a really nice sounding amp, carries my 7c's fine, but I know it's under powered for any SDA's. I'm too deep money wise into my little 2 channel system as it is to be considering any really high end power or larger integrated amps right now. I see the Crown amps on Crutch..... at a seemingly reasonable prices for their ratings. I've just always related the Crown brand to larger auditorium DJ type use, not critical listening. The NAD series isn't too bad looking spec. wise but is only 4 ohm stable, guess I'm not positive what that rating means. I've never had much success buying used gear (and don't have the 100 min. posts yet to buy from most of the classifieds). Would like to be able to power the SDA's and have or add a phono pre., tuner, sub/out etc. Any comments appreciated.
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Options
    Any recommended models ?
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    If no other option is available you could go with the crown. I have an XLi 800 that I think sounds ok, but I’m looking to replace it. If you can go used and get a B & K or Parasound, then that is a FAR better option, but if you have to stick to that budget and you have to buy new, this is at least a good temporary option.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Your Rega Brio tube amp rated at 50 WPC is not under powered for SDA's! SDA's are a fairly easy load to drive with a high current amp like your Rega. I power all my SDA's (1C's, 2BTL's and SRS 1.2TL's) with 50 watt tube amps (Yaqin MC-30L and 20L). Sound is fantastic and powerful enough to shake the foundation.

My recommendation is to NOT buy a Crown amp or any other pro amp. The sound is not nearly as refined as your tube amp. Trust me, been there done that with pro amps. You're wasting your time and money.

Correction: I was thinking your Rega was a tube amp, d'oh. Not sure if it's a high current amp or not....carry on.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    Options
    ThomasD wrote: »
    I've never had much success buying used gear (and don't have the 100 min. posts yet to buy from most of the classifieds).

The rules here state: "Sellers are not restricted as to the number of posts a potential buyer has...."

The 100 posts minimum only applies to selling items.

Crown amps are designed for louder volumes in public venues. They are not particularly well-suited for critical listening applications.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Which NAD? I use a C275 bee with 2bTL''s with good result. AFAIK, Most NADs can handle 2 ohms. Look at actual specs on NADs website.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I've never had much success buying used gear (and don't have the 100 min. posts yet to buy from most of the classifieds).

The rules here state: "Sellers are not restricted as to the number of posts a potential buyer has...."

The 100 posts minimum only applies to selling items.

Crown amps are designed for louder volumes in public venues. They are not particularly well-suited for critical listening applications.

I did read that but also saw where some sellers would only sell to 100+ posters, atleast that's the impression I got from the wording of the ads. I'm not splitting hairs here, just trying to stay on good terms with all. And, yes that has always been my take on Crown products also.
  • ThomasD
    Options
    Your Rega Brio tube amp rated at 50 WPC is not under powered for SDA's! SDA's are a fairly easy load to drive with a high current amp like your Rega. I power all my SDA's (1C's, 2BTL's and SRS 1.2TL's) with 50 watt tube amps (Yaqin MC-30L and 20L). Sound is fantastic and powerful enough to shake the foundation.

My recommendation is to NOT buy a Crown amp or any other pro amp. The sound is not nearly as refined as your tube amp. Trust me, been there done that with pro amps. You're wasting your time and money.

Correction: I was thinking your Rega was a tube amp, d'oh. Not sure if it's a high current amp or not....carry on.

Nope, Rega isn't tubed. I was considering the Cayin A-50T MK2 for an intro amp with my 7's but didn't think it would be enough to safely run a set of SDA's. Most every thing I've read on this forum suggests a little more headroom power to make the most of the SDA's. I realize tubes are a different animal.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Just remember that the amp has to be common ground and I’m not sure that the B&K amps qualify. I don’t have SDAs but I remember reading a post by @F1nut stating that the B&K amps would need a dreadnaught to be compatible. I could be wrong and I defer to Jesse on this. I wouldn’t want you to buy something that won’t work for you.

You can look for an old Adcom amp and have it refurbished. Same for an older Carver amp.

Good luck on your search!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ThomasD
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    Just remember that the amp has to be common ground and I’m not sure that the B&K amps qualify. I don’t have SDAs but I remember reading a post by @F1nut stating that the B&K amps would need a dreadnaught to be compatible. I could be wrong and I defer to Jesse on this. I wouldn’t want you to buy something that won’t work for you.

You can look for an old Adcom amp and have it refurbished. Same for an older Carver amp.

Good luck on your search!

I was actually just looking and trying to find that particular detail out about the B&K's. Found that the NAD's, Parasounds' & Adcoms all seem to be common ground but the B&K's aren't stating as much information.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

I was actually just looking and trying to find that particular detail out about the B&K's. Found that the NAD's, Parasounds' & Adcoms all seem to be common ground but the B&K's aren't stating as much information.

Hopefully, @F1nut will chime in. I’m sure he knows :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    B&K are common ground AFAIK.
    Some of the newer Adcoms are not
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    I don't believe I said that about B&K amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    B&k is good to go as far as common ground goes
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Find a NAD 2200 - 2600PE amp, you'll have no issues.