Do I need a sub with these Usher MD2's?

2»

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,722
    Derf wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I am going to try to try an SVS SB1000. Can I just use some "decent" cables since they wont be carrying a lot of current?

Check out the Outlet section on the SVS website. Might save a few bucks.

@Derf, I am not ready to buy it just yet but I see some cables on sale that I can get now. I am figuring that the cables can be a lower grade since they don't carry much current. I could be wrong???
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

Modern physics would have us believe that the universe is made up of quarks, gluons, photons -- and morons

Jesus H. C H R I S T - Afterburner - can you ever be courteous and stay on topic. If you want to blather on about "Family Affair" start your own dam thread! I get tired of your inane comments. You're not clever and you're not funny and most time you're posts are completely irrelevant to the topic.
  • DerfDerf Posts: 183
    I am figuring that the cables can be a lower grade since they don't carry much current. I could be wrong???
    If I've learned one thing around here it's that everything in the chain matters. I would think using a cable that is of the same quality, or has the same sound signature, as your speaker cables would be a good place to start.

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    @Derf, good point but this would be a stop gap, cant afford to go big. Anyway I would like some opinions regarding my theory.
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

Modern physics would have us believe that the universe is made up of quarks, gluons, photons -- and morons

Jesus H. C H R I S T - Afterburner - can you ever be courteous and stay on topic. If you want to blather on about "Family Affair" start your own dam thread! I get tired of your inane comments. You're not clever and you're not funny and most time you're posts are completely irrelevant to the topic.
    @Derf, are you running an upgraded power cable to your sub?

Hello Kitty boombox

• DerfDerf Posts: 183
    @Derf, are you running an upgraded power cable to your sub?
    Using stock power cable.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    DSkip wrote: »
    Gotcha. The bass should be similar but more controlled compared to the N-6361. You can always add a sub to a speaker system to get a little more weight to the music. Need? I don't think so. Gains? Always.

One reason I liked you going with the Preamp instead of another route is that you get dual pre-outs so its easy to integrate a subwoofer if you choose so later on. I think if you haven't yet, room treatments should come before a subwoofer as controlling the energy in a room has big rewards on the entire frequency range.

@DSkip "dual pre-outs" ? I don't get it, please elaborate.

I thought I would have to use the speaker outs???

Hello Kitty boombox

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,237
    Gotcha. The bass should be similar but more controlled compared to the N-6361. You can always add a sub to a speaker system to get a little more weight to the music. Need? I don't think so. Gains? Always.

One reason I liked you going with the Preamp instead of another route is that you get dual pre-outs so its easy to integrate a subwoofer if you choose so later on. I think if you haven't yet, room treatments should come before a subwoofer as controlling the energy in a room has big rewards on the entire frequency range.

The preamp has two different pairs of pre-outs. You can use one set for the amplifiers and another set for the subwoofer.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    edited April 2018

The preamp has two different pairs of pre-outs. You can use one set for the amplifiers and another set for the subwoofer.

Oh yeah would you look at that!

So I am supposed to run RCA cables to the LFE input?

Are these not left and right outputs? So how do I hook up one sub?

Hello Kitty boombox

Oh yeah would you look at that!

So I am supposed to run RCA cables to the LFE input?

Are these not left and right outputs? So how do I hook up one sub?

Never mind, I found some pictures.

Hello Kitty boombox

2»