Polk Audio Speakers - "I get no respect!"

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^
    Where do I say I demand anything? :o

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2018
    WLDock wrote: »
    Most don't realize the work that went into getting the LSiM line to measure fairly flat yet sound good. Anyone in doubt should read the Tech Brief then go listen to a well setup pair.

Some critics that took the time to listen and measure them seem to have good things to say....
    "The LSiM703's output is astonishingly flat from the low midrange through to the high treble." - Stereophile

Sort of back on topic ;) Here's a link to Stereophile's 2012 review of said LSiM703. Readin' it now, I am.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-lsiiim703-loudspeaker

* impedance and phase curve:

no6e4g0lqbiy.png
    (note how low this "compatible with 8 ohm" loudspeaker's impedance dips between 90 and 200 Hz!)

* "... anechoic response on HF axis at 50", averaged across 30° horizontal window and corrected for microphone response, with complex sum of nearfield responses plotted below 300Hz":

rwrwd9axsde4.png
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Tony M wrote: »
    Gas and air have no SUBSTANCE therefore can't be a fluid. Period.

What does the GAS surrounding the earth have to do with liquids?

giphy.gif
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I always thought that "fluid coupled" was in reference to two people comfortable enough with each other that they are willing to exchange fluids.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think you boys are reading too deep into semantics here. Must everything be an argument ?

The term "fluid", when mentioned in audiophile terms, relates to the flow of the sound, not whether xyz is a gas, liquid, or some strange alien compound. How the heck did we even get there from discussing Polk speakers ?

....and Russ has even chimed in yet. :)

Tony,

I think you missed the point. Fluid in the Polk ad campaign meant the air behind the passive radiator was a fluid unit.

It’s not about the air moved by the radiator aka sound waves.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2018
    So why is there fluid in the passive, do they get hot

Is it a ferrofluid.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2018
    Joey_V wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think you boys are reading too deep into semantics here. Must everything be an argument ?

The term "fluid", when mentioned in audiophile terms, relates to the flow of the sound, not whether xyz is a gas, liquid, or some strange alien compound. How the heck did we even get there from discussing Polk speakers ?

....and Russ has even chimed in yet. :)

Tony,

I think you missed the point. Fluid in the Polk ad campaign meant the air behind the passive radiator was a fluid unit.

It’s not about the air moved by the radiator aka sound waves.

Yea, I know. Polk promoted it as an internal property.
    I say it's compressed air that moves the radiator. Polk says it was Fluid. They are the same thing if you count the MOVING AIR as the fluid. ;) It seems from what I read, something has to be moving through air or the air is moving something for it to be called FLUID. It's simple science in that way. Air moved the PR, therefore it can be a fluid according to scientists.

I believe the theory since Leonardo Da Vinci's drawings of FLOW diagrams was genius, it grew into anything that flows was incorporated into Fluid Dynamics years and years later. It made calculating anything, be it liquid or Gas or Air, easier to chart and put down on paper for mathematical calculations when those elements were put in motion. It was a good thing! I LOVE Math!

I get the College and Scientific Society labeling that John is so learned in the subject.

But from what I just read from one of John's links, The 200 page coverage of Fluid dynamics does say what he has said. The community put Air and Gases into the Fluid category since it followed waters characteristics in some ways when it was flowing or being acted upon.

Therefore, friction, compression and a ton of other tests could be calculated in the Air and Gas fields of Science. I don't want to list the men I just read about who contributed their knowlege to get us to where we are today but they were smarter than me in their field of Fluid Dynamics. But could they build a cottage? :p

He's right in his scientific knowledge of FLUID Dynamics incorporating GASES. I personally see my point and his. He just doesn't want to see my point.

If you question 1,000,000 people and ask them if air is a fluid, what would be their answer? That's my point. ;)

I leave the mathematical and materialistic explanations on Fluids for good now.
    Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Leonardo Devinchi :o
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I always thought that "fluid coupled" was in reference to two people comfortable enough with each other that they are willing to exchange fluids.

I believe that's referred to as swapping spit.
    If you have any other fluids in mind -- bad pug! bad, bad pug!

:|
  • mhardy6647
    Leonardo Devinchi :o

Oh, that's the vanno blanco speaker guy, isn't it?
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    swapping spit.

I was going to use that naughty phrase, but then I decided against it just in case my mother is watching. :p
  • mhardy6647
    she might prefer trans-salivary equilibration.
  • Viking64
    she might prefer trans-salivary equilibration.

Well, she was a teacher. (Which might explain some of my internet exploits.) LOL
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2018
    I tried a few Polk speakers, but I was primarily an Acoustic Research and Infinity guy in the 70's-80's. I tried both SDA and Carver's holographic generator technologies, didn't really care much for either. In their defense, however, I was in the Army and typically had a pretty small listening area--not exactly ideal.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    It’s a little known fact that glass is a liquid and NOT a solid. It is also a fluid.

Sort of correct. It is what we call an amorphous solid.
    tqedfwvz3q2d.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

He's right in his scientific knowledge of FLUID Dynamics incorporating GASES. I personally see my point and his. He just doesn't want to see my point.

If you question 1,000,000 people and ask them if air is a fluid, what would be their answer? That's my point. ;)

I leave the mathematical and materialistic explanations on Fluids for good now.

You have no point.

You are wrong and refuse to accept it even after being given proof of your incorrectness.

This is proven science, fact, that you are deliberately ignoring for the sake of your "point" of which you have none.

The point of scientific research is to eliminate the uncertainty. Therefore, despite what the uneducated masses think, the science is real and correct.

But, according to my grandmother, to illustrate the stupidity of the general public, if stuff like this was left up to them, a fool would have jumped off a bridge already because a million of those people thought it was a good idea.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    This is directed at no one in particular and to everyone (myself included) in general.

3rgmlgu6uoo5.png
  • verb
    Adding to the fray :smile:
    Boiling point of air is about -195 celsius, when liquid air phase changes into a gaseous state.
    Hydraulic Fluid (depending of which type) begins to boil at about +300 celsius.

This is of course pressure dependent, as that would affect the boiling temps.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Look up wind tunnel testing, dingleberries.
    Fluid dynamics at it's most simple form.
    "Air" has fluid properties.......

I change light bulbs......
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    @Jstas I bet you're really fun at parties.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    SpiffyFancyAltiplanochinchillamouse-max-1mb.gif

So I read through this thread again after having missed much of the banter since work keeps getting in the way!

Yes I am an engineer by trade, and had to interject some commentary on phase changes between materials. But back on topic, sort of.

I wonder why that almost every thread that @Clipdat introduces invokes such passion? :wink:

I too miss the ability to audition items locally. However the boutique shops do emote a bit of superiority at times, but that comes with the territory, IMO. So be prepared.

When I first got into Cigars the same experience. They really do size you up, if you will, and predetermine what value you have to them, IMO. Am I gonna ask about the latest Montecristo? Or the Grenadiere 5-pack? Again, other shops just the opposite. Those are the ones I frequent.

I recall walking into a local Harley dealership after work with a Suit on, it was nearly 30 minutes before I was acknowledged! Other Harley shops are different, and I frequent those now. I ride an additional 20 miles to purchase items from that shop driving right past the Harley shop down the street. I think the term they use is Lookie Loo's.

The internet is great as there are places like this, and other ratings sites where you can do your research. You also have such a wide array of offerings on the internet that the local shops simply can't afford to keep in stock.

My personal rule is that if I can buy an item locally, I will. But I always use the internet to do my research first.

Just my thoughts.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    I was excited and eager that the first shop I mentioned was actively corresponding with me over email and replying same day. I was looking forward to maybe visiting them and checking out some Rogue Audio preamps.

I could email them again and push the issue I suppose. I kindof feel like they are doing Rogue a disservice because they basically just gave up on a potential sale.
  • verb
    Exclusivity is part of any boutique brand. It enables them to charge higher prices, bigger margins for them, and they sustain a business model that way. there are many examples out there, from cars, watches, clothing, just about everything.

Certainly the expectation of quality and performance rises with price, but to a diminishing point. At some point all things being relatively equal, brand image is what makes the sale.
  • Clipdat
    So they're playing "hard to get" as a business strategy?
  • verb
    Could be, since they know what your rig consists of. Or maybe they're super busy with other highfalutin clientele. :smiley:
  • Clipdat
    I emailed this shop like 5 months ago as well asking if they carried any linestage tube preamps and they never replied.

Either I just have really bad luck and people don't like me, or all the HiFi shops around here suck.
    verb wrote: »
    Could be, since they know what your rig consists of. Or maybe they're super busy with other highfalutin clientele. :smiley:

• verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I emailed this shop like 5 months ago as well asking if they carried any linestage tube preamps and they never replied.

Either I just have really bad luck and people don't like me, or all the HiFi shops around here suck.
    verb wrote: »

Softball. Maybe all three! Just kiddin dude! :smiley:
  • mhardy6647
    lightman1 wrote: »

Did you see my Schlieren optics photo of the XB-70, ol' son? :)
    oh no, he's got me on ignore...
  • verb
    lightman1 wrote: »

Did you see my Schlieren optics photo of the XB-70, ol' son? :)
    oh no, he's got me on ignore...

We actually had a supersonic tunnel at my undergrad school. Took about 20-30 minutes to charge the pressure vessel. Hit the button, and BAM, all over in a second! My introduction to Schlieren. :smile: