Chicago Polkies - Bob Carver Dealer in Rockford IL

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited January 2018 in The Clubhouse
For all you Chicago guys.... you should check this place out...

http://jimclarkstereo.com/

He's a member of TheCarverSite, and he's got TOOOBBSSSS and Carver Amazing LineSource speakers........

Worth a visit for sure!

02.jpg

@tonyb @daboyz @ALL212 @agfrost @erniejade @newrival @halo @SCompRacer @hochpt21 @dromunds @trav0810 @indyhawg
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2018
    Appointment only and they probably do a credit and background check before they let you set one. :) I could probably look at that amp stand. ;)
  • EndersShadow
    I’m sure you’d be fine Dave. If you want I’d vouch for you :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited January 2018
    Nice! But I'm done...

They look like.... :D ...hint, 2001, a space...

9upjjcgms2kv.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • EndersShadow
    LOL.... not even worth going just to listen and maybe make another audio friend Rich?
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited January 2018
    Those speakers need the space as pictured to breathe and sound their best. Most rooms just don't have that space. I have heard them and they sound great!
    Carl

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Those speakers need the space as pictured to breathe and sound their best. Most rooms just don't have that space. I have heard them and they sound great!

I think that the space is wrong for them actually. The room being open to the left does not allow the side firing drivers to bounce off of anything. The soundstage must be horrible to that side.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206

I'd rather you send me a voucher for say 20k? :)
  • EndersShadow
    daboyz wrote: »

I'd rather you send me a voucher for say 20k? :)

HA! If I had that I wouldn’t need have liquidated my LSis
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Appointment only and they probably do a credit and background check before they let you set one. :) I could probably look at that amp stand. ;)

1eiupr0vbqdb.jpg
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    schwarcw wrote: »

I think that the space is wrong for them actually. The room being open to the left does not allow the side firing drivers to bounce off of anything. The soundstage must be horrible to that side.

You would think, but that isn't the case. The soundstage is pretty consistent from corner to corner of that room, even with the left side being open.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056

Nah, Jim realizes that there is a very small market for these particular items. But he still enjoys meeting people and showcasing them. He would be more than happy to take time for you even if you had no intention of purchasing anything.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited February 2018
    I concur with Dan and Travis - Jim is a genuinely good guy, and is looking more to meet fellow hobbiests who enjoy audio than he is trying to sell gear. He realized that there weren’t many places to actually hear Bob’s current (pun) designs, hence his new endeavor. I hope to make the journey to meet him face to face in the future.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Jim is a genuinely good guy.

Thank you. :)