Used truck question

Options
Question for the wrench turners here. Been keeping an eye out for a beater truck for the upcoming spring projects. Came across this '98 F150, 4.2 V6 with only 147K miles. Supposedly clean title. Pretty cheap @ $1900 OBO. Anything in particular to look out for? Is that a fairly reliable motor? TIA....

95385sq7ovrz.jpg

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    Thanks. Just avoid the V6 in that age?
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Great info. Thanks bro...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I love Ford trucks (historically) but every time I start to look into one on the used market, I hear horror stories about something. Usually engine-related, sometimes other drivetrain -- or just rust.

Unfortunately, the press on GMC and Dodge'm (ahem, I mean, RAM) hardware ain't generally much better.

The Tundras are highly thought of up here -- but not cheap. Actually my son-in-law bought an old one, used, fairly cheap -- but it's gettin' pretty rusty (body - the frame has been replaced per Toyota's little oops in the Northeast).

We're semi-seriously looking for a cheap-ish 4WD truck that can pull 10 klbs (ahem, a Kubota tractor on a suitable trailer, ahem).

I like my ancient, rusty little Taco a lot, but it ain't quite up to that task.

Which is a long-winded, egocentric way of sayin' I am curious to see what sort of replies you get! :)

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Many of the horror stories you hear are just one or two people who found each other on the internet and were able to commiserate over the same issue.

In reality, any "horror story" you read is a very small percentage of the overall. Ford builds a million F-series a year and the F-150 accounts for 65-85% of that production. So the odds of running into one with a problem are better than most other brands.

So take the innernet stories with a grain of salt.

That said, the 4.2L is based on the Essex 3.8L V6 which is known to eat head gaskets. The Essex actually secures the intake gasket well and I never really heard or saw failures for them in all my years as a parts monkey or mechanic. Head gaskets pop.

They pop because the bores are spaced very close together and there's no real way to get even pressure on the inside edges of the gasket the squeezes between the cylinder bores. Your typical treated rubber/cork gaskets tear with the heat cycling and weaken then they start leaking coolant into combustion chambers and oil gallies. There were revised gaskets made of malleable metals that held up better but as soon as you got the engine too hot, they would pop too.

In 1999, the 3.8L/4.2L got a redesign which fixed the issue and made the cylinder heads more stable so gaskets would tear less. The nice thing about that is the engine could finally see it's full potential. As an example, in 1999, the Essex V6 in 3.8L form saw 190 horsepower and about 225 pound feet of torque where in 1997, the last Thunderbirds only saw 140 horsepower and 210 pound feet of torque.

The 4.2L was a beast of an engine, though, with 205 horsepower and 260+ pound feet of torque. It legitimately was V8 power in a V6 package. But it was thirsty.

However, the 97-98 engines had issues. The front cover (timing, water pump and oil pump) had a tendency to crack, especially under high loads which is kinda craptacular since most were using the V6 trucks as cheap work trucks, all they did was work. The other issue was the lower intake manifolds would crack. Not the gaskets, the actual manifolds. In 1999 Ford solved the problems by using thicker gaskets that allowed the parts to expand and contract easier and relieving the stress on them. The head gaskets were still an issue, though, because they had the same problem as the 3.8L. In 1999, when the revised heads and intake manifolds came out, all the other problems went away.

So if you find a 97-98 F-series with the V6, be wary of it because it can be an expensive repair. If you don't want the risk of that headache, then avoid them. If you want V6 economy with enough torque to pull da earf off it's axis, the 4.9L 300ci I6 that can be found in any Ford truck from 1964-1996, it's indestructible and a torque monster. After 1987, they got fuel injection. They are only 8.8:1 compression at best but there are rebuild kits that can get you to 9.5:1 compression you can bump power from ~150 horses to ~170 horses. Also, if you can find the heavy duty exhaust manifold from the dump trucks for it, you don't need to bump compression because that manifold flows well enough to spool up a turbo easily. 6 pounds of boost gets you over 250 horsepower. Intercool it and go to 9 pounds of boost and it's a 300 horsepower 380 pound feet of torque monster of an engine that will still run forever.

You'll hear about problems with the 4.6L too but really, those engines are bullet proof. The only issue is that Ford used a plastic intake manifold and a plastic coolant crossover pipe to transfer coolant between cylinder heads. It fails because, well, plastic. There's a fix kit for it. It's like $35 last I knew. Takes all of 20 minutes to put it in and it's essentially the same pipe but made of metal. Replace that crossover tube and the 4.6L 2V from the 90's will run 200...300...400...700,000 miles without a problem. When I worked at Pep Boys in 97-99, we had taxicab companies rocking 92-97 Ford Crown Victorias with 400,000+ miles on the 4.6L 2V V8. The only thing they did besides replace the crossover tube was regular maintenance. So if you find a V8 powered F-150 with the 4.6L, it'll run forever.

Before anyone brings up the spark plug issue, it was only in aluminum heads and by now, all of them that were going to pop a plug out have popped a plug out. It was more common on the 5.4L anyway. The fix is a helicoil or head replacement. The cylinder head replacement isn't cheap but it's not a bank breaker either. It's something to watch out for but not a concern if you aren't beating on it. Everyone that we had come in with it had either hot rod parts on their engine or it was a tow rig that had a trailer attached to it permanently or it was a snow plow. Lightnings and HD F-150's with the superchargers would pop the plugs because of cylinder pressure. Regular use and it wasn't an issue.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wow! Jstas has more than a casual understanding of the subject and a great unbiased opinion. I wish he were writing for CNN and Fox News.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    They also popped plugs because most home mechanics would not tighten them down enough out of fear they would strip the threads in the heads. The 5.4 problem was some used 2 piece plugs and carbon would build up around the top of the plug. When you would go to remove the carbon ring would break the plug in two and part would fall back into the cylinder. My Ford guy has told me there was two solutions change them while they were hot as Hades or back them off enough to get a carbon cleaner/softner into the cylinder.
    John is spot on the 4.9 6cyl. The one in my old truck had hundreds of thousands of miles on it. Never used any oil drove the truck until the whole under carriage rusted away. I was Flintstone'ing for the last two years. That was some tuff carpet they used lol.
    My 4.6 in my 03 f150 has 220,000 mi. on it changed every 3000mi. When it comes out it still looks decent not all foul smelling or black as night. Use a good oil filter (not fram) and it makes a big difference. I use the Ford or puralotor boss black and it has only seen castrol 5w20 synthetic oil in my care. Former owner used mobil one and treated like a baby.
    It leaks nothing anywhere. Only thing i have done is change oil and replaced differential oil and added the proper amount of additives per Ford to the pumpkin.
    I'm not discounting anything John (jstas) stated in my circle nobody wanted that 4.2 6cyl. because of the problems they had most of us wanted the bigger motors anyway. I'm glad they now are back to the 5.0 as well.
    The 4.6 is a beast and has a well deserved reputation for being bulletproof.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As already stated, the 300 straight 6 was a winner. It was a better truck engine than the 302 ever wished it could be and got twice the gas milage. The other half ton engine offered was a 351. You could dump some money in it and it would run great but wouldn't pass too many gas stations without stopping for a drink.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    a97027hw9ikb.jpg

Better choice? '91, says 4.9 straight 6, manual with new clutch 139K miles. $2K...
  • ken brydson
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    a97027hw9ikb.jpg

Better choice? '91, says 4.9 straight 6, manual with new clutch 139K miles. $2K...

Clean, go get it...just maintain it and it'll put up with whatever abuse you throw at it.

He's busy tomorrow. Going to look on Sunday.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    That 91 looks like the better buy, you wont find that vintage around the midwest with out rusted out doors, fenders, and rocker panels. I myself would look into something with a 5.3l Vortex in it but that's just me.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's Vortec, not Vortex and the 5.3L is a boat anchor. Also, you're not going to find one in a Ford. You'll have to suffer with a Chevy or GMC for it.

The only way you will get an aluminum 5.3L in the pickups is in a very limited option set for 4x4 Silverados and Sierras from 2005-2007 and they are in the 1500 only. Was not available in the heavier chassis or the 1500's with a towing package because the aluminum block was weak even if it was sleeved with iron casings. Besides the 5300 is just the 4800 with a longer stroke and the 4800 is a wheezing pile of poo meant only to meet CAFE standards as the base engine where they would sell a bajillion of them in fleet sales.

Otherwise, the 4800/5300 was a heavy, iron-blocked pig of an engine that really missed it's potential.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    a97027hw9ikb.jpg

Clean, go get it...just maintain it and it'll put up with whatever abuse you throw at it.

Oh, abso-freaking-lutely. If the frame is good, no rust...I dont think you can find a more reliable truck. Only 139K miles.....it's still a baby.
  • ken brydson
    Options
    Cash in hand. Meeting at 10am tomorrow. Wish me luck.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • ken brydson
    Options
    uhg8adhpqn2q.jpg

Home sweet home. Got him down to $1800. Runs and shifts great. Needs some serious clean up. Didn't notice on the test drive but on the way home found that the steering is kinda sloppy, especially at higher speeds. Thoughts?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Not unusual for a Ford or Chevy... Start with the ball joints and tierods and work your way up to the column. The high speed floating sensation can easily be attributed to the alignment and lack of total toe. If it has the cross beam front suspension, it won't get much better... They are awful.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    It should have the cross beam as my 90 did. I spent a weekend and put all new upper and lower ball joints and all tie rods. Money well spent.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,754
    Options
    Nice score....I agree, I would wait for an alignment until you address the front end components.

Tie rods, ball joints, not sure if they are on this truck, but idler arm and pitman arm. Definitely a vehicle worth freshening up.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Even if you have to dump 2-3g's into it still a hellava buy

That paint can be brought back to a shine with a good clean, wax, and buff
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    Options
    cf25vg7iw75z.jpg
    Wish I took a before pic. Interior was trash. Cleaned up pretty good...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    That came out good...most important is dash isn't split

Carpet kits are cost effective later, and seat covers can be bought

My favorite seat covers are Marathon...durable as h3ll, Dark Blue Cordura Nylon would match up I think
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That is amanly gear shift lever :)
  • ken brydson
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That is amanly gear shift lever :)

Shifter envy?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Doc loves to "stick it"
    Waaaa
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Que cheesy trombone sound
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Nice find and great buy. Hope it serves you well for years.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2018
    Options
    One of the best things about my little Taco pickup is that it's a 5-speed manual. Best anti-theft device extant for an automobile (or truck) in 2018 :)

Heck, more people know how to operate a record player than a manual transmission in 2018 (thanks to the hipsters)!

• pitdogg2
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    One of the best things about my little Taco pickup is that it's a 5-speed manual. Best anti-theft device extant for an automobile (or truck) in 2018 :)

Only thing better would be 3 on the tree :D
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Rock crusher FTW