Why i feel a 2 channel setup is the best for your average joe and music lovers.

Options

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Psssh... Poser.
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I like a TV in my 2 Channel rig, it’s never used for movies music only, and I like being able to play my concert DVD’s and BlueRays in my system, so you guys can bite me!!! LOL!! B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    There is a reason 2 channel rigs have shows dedicated to them.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dannylightning
    Options
    this has turned out to be a good thread.

i know some other forums this would have turned into a huge argument. the other forums i have been part of people seem to think all audio equipment sounds exactly the same except for speakers. say you use the same speakers on both. they seem to think a 200 dollar stereo receiver will sound exactly the same as a really high end amp/preamp.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    this has turned out to be a good thread.

i know some other forums this would have turned into a huge argument. the other forums i have been part of people seem to think all audio equipment sounds exactly the same except for speakers. say you use the same speakers on both. they seem to think a 200 dollar stereo receiver will sound exactly the same as a really high end amp/preamp.

There's a few forums like that, not unusual. What I personally find is some people's opinions follow their wallet size. Just because you may not be able to afford something doesn't diminish it's worth to someone who can.

Many of us subscribe to the "let your ears judge" mantra rather than what price and specs say. In the audio world, bargains abound, but so do turkeys at any given price point.

That's why it's best to share experiences, give details to associated gear and rooms so that others can at least narrow down their own searches that pertain to their own preferences.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dannylightning
    Options
    usually you get what you pay for. but you do find a few gems at budget prices some times.. i have heard some very expensive equipment that sounded really bad as well. i have heard a few inexpensive stereos that have sound pretty nice..

one stereo shop i went to had a crazy expensive set of speakers hooked up to some really high end equipment and they had music playing on it. it was one of the worst stereos i had ever heard.. so not all expensive things are good.

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• tonyb
    Options
    Very true.... I think most here would say the same thing. Price doesn't always dictate performance.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I don't even own any audio gear....I just like the witty banter and social aspect of posting here.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ... I think the value proposition may be the shakiest when it comes to loudspeakers (FWIW). The reason, I think, is the level of subjectivity most of us bring to reproduced sound. I.e., not that some of the really expensive loudspeakers are bad, or even necessarily poor values given their cost -- but if one doesn't like the sound, it doesn't really matter how much, or how little they cost.

E.g., I am not a fan of tthe sound of B&W loudspeakers. Some folks love 'em; I don't.
    That doesn't make them a poor value for anyone but me.

The current crop of audiophile loudspeakers tends towards the funny looking, too -- but, again, that's pretty subjective (and it's just my opinion).
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    It would be nice to have two systems and two rooms. However, if one had to choose between a single system for a single room then, a nice 2 channel system is the way to go.

However, how cool would it be to start with a room with similar Left & Right boundary's. Also, a room large enough that one can pull speakers away from the wall as well as the chair or couch away from the back wall. I think an average music lover that has this already has an advantage of getting good sound for less.

Then, build the best 2 channel system for the money. From there find affordable used AVR, center channel, surround, and sub and one can have it all. However, I don't see the average music lover spending more than $2500 for a stereo! So, one really does have to choose one way or the other.

Bump the price up to $5000, start with a cool room, and shop the use market and have some DIY skills. Then one might be able to put something that touches the soul for both music and movies.

These are not everyday prices but I have seen these items used on CL, eBay, audio repair shop, etc. at these prices. One can have it all for $5k if they start with a great room and get lucky in the used market.

$850 - LSiM705 mains & LSiM706c center
    $450 - LSiM703 rear
    $150 - Polk F/X500i surround
    $350 - SI HT18 subwoofer driver x 2
    $200 - DIY Subwoofer enclosure x 2
    $260 - Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP amp

$1700 - Parasound Halo Integrated
    $300 - Onkyo TX-NR5008 AVR
    $300 - OPPO 103 Blue-Ray, NAS device
    $4560 Total
    plus the cost of wires, cables, etc.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I don't even own any audio gear....I just like the witty banter and social aspect of posting here.

You own a massive, nigh-on legendary power amplifier that you've never even seen in the -- umm -- flesh.

:wink:
  • lightman1
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

You own a massive, nigh-on legendary power amplifier that you've never even seen in the -- umm -- flesh.

si non vidimus enim est
  • mhardy6647
    Options

si non vidimus enim est

Dang, you're good!

:)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Even hillbillies can google :p
  • lightman1
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Even hillbillies can google :p

Or just know a little bit about bein'all cultured and high society like. You know... that book learnin' stuff.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Of course I had no doubt.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Suppressed evidence of lightman1's previous identity. See what they don't want you to know about!

lxr119elq0wg.png
    http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=quantum+calculations
  • lightman1
    Options
    Suppressed evidence of lightman1's previous identity. See what they don't want you to know about!

lxr119elq0wg.png
    http://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=quantum+calculations

Somebody has to to keep those dingleberries grounded in reality.....
    When they become aloof from their quasi-perfect assumptions....a finger thump to the earlobe brings them back......
  • lightman1
    Options
    And... Hey! I bought a pair of speakers for a future two channel riggidy-dig!!
    Back to you in the studio....
  • lightman1
    Options
    Of course I had know doubt.
    B)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I always keep a few spare speaks around -- you know, in case I ever want to do a 43.3 system or something like that...
  • lightman1
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I always keep a few spare speaks around -- you know, in case I ever want to do a 43.3 system or something like that...

Yea something like that.....
    Of course you'd have to use 22.3 of your stash receivers
  • lightman1
    Options

Yea something like that.....
    Of course you'd have to use 22.3 of your stash receivers

Cosine ~22.3 is 0.92387953251
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Im tinkering with a 1.1 system for talk radio...
  • lightman1
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Im tinkering with a 1.1 system for talk radio...

Now you're cookin'!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    I honestly don’t know what I would do if I had to let go of one of my rigs, especially now with the LSiM’s in the house for my HT, they do a lot of things right. I may not have the right rooms but I work with what I got, and I’m very grateful to have the gear that I have, but after being raped by W4S, I have been looking at other gear, I’m not as proud to own it anymore..
  • tonyb
    Options
    What do you mean raped by W4S ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    What do you mean raped by W4S ?

Where you been keep up my friend.
    I'll let Larry explain do not want to step out of bounds
  • tonyb
    Options
    I dunno man, can't recall the issue off the top of my head....which isn't uncommon these days.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Gotcha, no wonder....phone Pre. I usually pay little attention to those. Could have told ya the Jolida would kick its rear end. That restocking fee explains the rape comment. Not a fan either of the W4S house sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's