Options

Comments

• sansuibutch
    Options
    I'm getting somewheremrgmfrgcmwtp.jpg
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options
    Lookin good. Where ya gonna put the 130's.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Lookin good. Where ya gonna put the 130's.

The same exact place you did. I've been wanting to do this for a little while now. With all the variables with cap sizes and variables in general, the way you did it just made sense economically and effort wise. I don't have the patience to read every cap size and make sure it fits in terms of space ect ect.. and I don't have a ton of time in general. I really appreciate you posting that. After you squared away that big cap solder joint issue and commented on the improvements in sound I placed my order. Again I really appreciate your post and help.
  • sansuibutch
    sansuibutch Posts: 198
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I will most likely get one speaker done, unplug the sda cable and do a left and right comparison.i believe it will be night and day the second I fire em up. At least thats what im expecting =)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    What brand of caps are those? All I see is made in France unless I'm blind.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    I will most likely get one speaker done, unplug the sda cable and do a left and right comparison.i believe it will be night and day the second I fire em up. At least thats what im expecting =)

In most cases they will sound bad and all over the place until everything gets burned in.
    In my case on both sets of SDA's the first day i was impressed by the 3rd day it sounded like pooo
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What brand of caps are those? All I see is made in France unless I'm blind.

Solen pb series
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

In most cases they will sound bad and all over the place until everything gets burned in.
    In my case on both sets of SDA's the first day i was impressed by the 3rd day it sounded like pooo

Did that have to do with the sda effect. Did you try it without the interconnect? I'm just asking because I'm guessing the old caps are so shot.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Did that have to do with the sda effect. Did you try it without the interconnect? I'm just asking because I'm guessing the old caps are so shot.

How does the SDA cable play any affect in this? The caps are all the same age in the same condition SDA circuit or not. The electrolytic caps dry out and age badly used or not, the Mylar do not afaik but the polypropylene caps are much better caps.

I believe you completely are misunderstanding here. My comment WAS for the complete new caps not the old caps.
  • sansuibutch
    Options

How does the SDA cable play any affect in this? The caps are all the same age in the same condition SDA circuit or not. The electrolytic caps dry out and age badly used or not, the Mylar do not afaik but the polypropylene caps are much better caps.

I believe you completely are misunderstanding here. My comment WAS for the complete new caps not the old caps.

I'm understanding what your saying. I just never listened to these without the interconnect. I read without it there is no soundstage. Maybe I misunderstood you when you said "all over the place".
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    All over the place... sound sweet one day then terrible the next no bass too much treble make you wonder what you may or may not of done right or wrong
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    All over the place... sound sweet one day then terrible the next no bass too much treble make you wonder what you may or may not of done right or wrong

Gotchya. That makes sense. How long did it take to reap the benefits?? Hours wise.
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Gotchya. That makes sense. How long did it take to reap the benefits?? Hours wise.

Couple of hundred. Most just let them play with radio 24/7 no need to be loud just signal.
  • crashb4
    Options
    Mine took a couple hundred hours as well . I couldn't listen much during break in. Probably better off.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    rk1f21tf1lbo.jpg
    nl1gei7avbpi.jpg
    3qnr99x6dvga.jpg
    I have one assembled and ready to install back in the cabinet8jur6qbvqbna.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    So i guess my question is. How do you like the Solen's in the high pass?
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    So i guess my question is. How do you like the Solen's in the high pass?

I won't know that for a few days. I'm guessing there world's better than what polk put in there back then.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    You won't like them for long.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sansuibutch
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I hope I do. Will they sound a lot better than the originals??
  • pitdogg2
    Options

Both used them. My question was for crash as his are broke in.
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    Well I put the right channel back together and of course i am listening to them. Very first impressions are kind of the opposite of expected. The midrange sounds like it's screaming at me. The highs dont sound harsh and the bass sounds boomy. The highs might not sound harsh because of the ramped up mids. It allmost sounds fuller but i think that is because the mids are louder than normal. Obviously il have to get the other one done and let em run for a while but just stating the instant changes. Hopefully they will break in all right. What caps are in the hf circuit. I would of known if I looked at the xover long enough but didn't.
  • crashb4
    Options
    12 uF, 4.4 uF, 92 uF
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    My first impressions were a little flawed. The speaker I havnt touched yet might have a bad connection in it or outside of it. I was going from left to right and the left channel just sounded lifeless. I cranked the volume some and I could here a slight bit of distortion while the low notes hit. I turned the bass up all the way up a few times and it cranked back to life like normal. Il have to check into that. Either way I listened for a few and the high end on the original crossover side is brighter sounding . The speaker with the new crossover does sound a lot fuller. But it's strange because the voices come out more on the old side. The speaker with the old xover seems to have better separation where the new just sounds mushed up. It doesn't sound as bad as I was expecting for not being burned in..but what do I know the one I'm comparing it to has them old caps in it. Il rip the other one apart and get it done. I will just hook a little amp to them and they will be on tv duty for 2 weeks. I hope they sound a lot better after the couple weeks
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    The other one is finished and ready to install. Hopefully il get it in in the morning and they will be running non stop for a while
  • sansuibutch
    Options
    I installed the other xover thismorning and have been listening for a little bit. While listening to music the channels sound equal in volume. But when I hooked up a tone generator at say 95hz the right seems a decent amount louder than the left. I think it might be the side of the sofa that's only 3 feet in front of the left speaker. There a good 15 feet in front of the right channel..does this make sense? Also I heard a little of what I think is crossover distortion that was never there before. Is this regular new cap burn in issues?? Either way I hooked them to a little rotel I have that's hooked to the tv. I'm going to use them there for a few weeks before hooking them back to my bigger amps.
  • crashb4
    Options

The Solen will be replaced. They are a bit harsh for my liking. After installing them, it was like going back to the sl-2000 tweets. The new amp has made a big difference, but still a bit bright for my liking. Jesse is right on point with this one. I have about 500 hours on the rebuild now and I figure that they are fully burned in. Live and learn.
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the update
    I have not used them. I did however use the sister company Axon in a low pass for SDA's. Many say caps are caps how can there be a difference? Well you did find that there was.
  • sansuibutch
    Options

The Solen will be replaced. They are a bit harsh for my liking. After installing them, it was like going back to the sl-2000 tweets. The new amp has made a big difference, but still a bit bright for my liking. Jesse is right on point with this one. I have about 500 hours on the rebuild now and I figure that they are fully burned in. Live and learn.

I was very surprised my highs weren't harsh. That was running them with my sansui ba2000 + ba3000+ ca3000. Now that I hooked them to a little 100wpc rotel it's so bad I don't think I can listen to them. I really didn't think a different amp could make that much difference. Either way il let em run in while I'm not home hahah. Let us know what you upgrade those caps to seeing I might be in the same boat
  • crashb4
    Options
    Thanks for the update
    I have not used them. I did however use the sister company Axon in a low pass for SDA's. Many say caps are caps how can there be a difference? Well you did find that there was.

I don't have a problem with the low pass. In fact I enjoy the "punchy" sound and they seem to dig down deeper than prior to the recap. I will only replace the high pass. I still need to do it on the sly though.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Thanks for the update

I don't have a problem with the low pass. In fact I enjoy the "punchy" sound and they seem to dig down deeper than prior to the recap. I will only replace the high pass. I still need to do it on the sly though.

Yes i understood that. Many here have used them in low pass and went sonicaps or clarity caps in high pass.