New DAC, and boy is it nice!

Picked up a new DAC, I couldn't help myself. I was torn between this DAC and my bryston several months ago, but picked the bryston due to some background noise with the cembalo.

I've become good friends with the guys down at the absolute audio here in calgary, and when I was told cembalo labs had updated their river series DAC, I had to borrow one. This time no noise as I was experiencing with the last one I had. This DAC is sensational, and a winner! The build is phenomenal, these guys are relatively new, but boy is this DAC good!

Some pics:
lpu2d6extlgv.jpg
6a8bokt3jp6k.jpg
x70t87g3rj0d.jpg

2 channel:
Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
Theater:
Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    7tvsyqldzico.jpg
    nlsw69qtba1r.jpg
    rc20n9phfkkd.jpg

I will do a review once I get some more time on this guy.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Cembalo labs is based out of Vancouver BC, here is a link:

http://www.cembalolab.com
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Glad your diggin' it...always nice to have a new toy bring things together. Awaiting the full review and maybe a comparison as to the sound signature.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    I will be doing a direct comparison to the bryston BDA3, which I absolutely love. I'm reserving my comments at this time. Going to spend a week with the cembalo, then put in the bryston. Cembalo says 50 hours break in. I've got about 12 on it now. It's so good hehehe

Pictures with tops off and direct comparisons are coming.

We did some direct comparisons at the audio shop with DACs 2-3 times the price, and this cembalo for the money vs performance ratio was a clear winner. Although not better than the more expensive DACs, this guy was pretty close. In my opinion it holds some serious value.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Those Canadians make some fine stuff.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I will be doing a direct comparison to the bryston BDA3, which I absolutely love. I'm reserving my comments at this time. Going to spend a week with the cembalo, then put in the bryston. Cembalo says 50 hours break in. I've got about 12 on it now. It's so good hehehe

Pictures with tops off and direct comparisons are coming.

We did some direct comparisons at the audio shop with DACs 2-3 times the price, and this cembalo for the money vs performance ratio was a clear winner. Although not better than the more expensive DACs, this guy was pretty close. In my opinion it holds some serious value.

I am very interested. I have been in DAC mode for some time now. Would you kindly list the DAC's that you compared to at up to 3x price?

Thanks in advance

halen
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Oh yes. No need for details. Just the DAC's is good enough for me. Thanks.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Those Canadians make some fine stuff.

Dodge Demons and Maple syrup...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Not even the Canadians can make a good Dodge :p
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mikeyb128
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nice. What's list on that?

List is 2700$.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• mikeyb128
    halen wrote: »

Halen, we compared it to a moon 380D, the bryston paired with its BDP2, and a lumin DAC (can't remember which one, but this was several months ago. Let me get the full details.

I was told one customer demoed this who owns a Bermester and was pleasantly surprised how well it faired. But again this was when I was DAC shopping several months ago, this Unit wasn't working properly for my in home demo at the time. I do have another thread on that.

Sorry Guys I barely remember what happened yesterday never mind months ago. A little too much green stuff when I was a kid haha
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    A little too much green stuff when I was a kid haha
    Vegetables??? Broccoli? Spinach? Kale? Green beans? Zucchini? Brussel Sprouts? Cucumbers? Cilantro? Parsley? Shallots? Squash? I gotta know!

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

Halen, we compared it to a moon 380D, the bryston paired with its BDP2, and a lumin DAC (can't remember which one, but this was several months ago. Let me get the full details.

I didn't know Lumin made a DAC. My only complaint with the S1 is that it doesn't have a digital input so that another source can use its DAC.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    BlueFox wrote: »

I didn't know Lumin made a DAC. My only complaint with the S1 is that it doesn't have a digital input so that another source can use its DAC.

My apologies. Lumin streamer, unless I had too many beers that day, it has a DAC built into it.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, the DAC is internal to the Lumin, and can't be used by any source other than the Lumin.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes, the DAC is internal to the Lumin, and can't be used by any source other than the Lumin.

"Wut, the flower lumin?"