Got a good deal on CRS pair... now what?

I had been watching these for a couple of days, and called the seller today and asked if they came with the SDA cable. I figured they didn't (if the cable IS included, it's almost always mentioned in the ad), and I was right. I asked the seller if he'd take $130, since I was going to have to fab a cable (which I would anyway!). He said yes, so now I'm the proud owner. Which brings me to a couple questions:

Are these a candidate for the RDO194 tweeters?

For the SDA cable, I was thinking to enlarge the original SDA cable opening and install Nutrik connectors - is this what others have done?

The woofers and passives look great - do they need any attention?

Anything else I should know about this model?

Thanks for any help or advice!

4nk9zxkkmewj.png
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    With correct XO mods, these will take either the 194 or 198. The baskets can be (should be?) Dynamated. There's also a thread that documents other upgrades if you want to go that far.
  • Have you determined which version CRS+ you have? There are 3 different versions that have different drivers, the 1987 version has the same drivers and crossover as a SDA 2A uses with 6510 drivers in all positions. The other two share the crossover a SDA 2B uses and will either have 6503/6511(1988) or 6510/6511(1989-91) drivers in them. The later two the versions can easily be upgraded with the RD0198/4.1TL mod done.
    I believe a member here "westmassguy" has the info needed to update the earliest CRS+ version. He did the RD198/TL mod to some SDA 2A's.

Crossover and driver info can be found in the schematics posted at this link. It also shows a schematic for the RD0198/4.1TL mod. forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/55888/polk-audio-speaker-wiring-schematics-more-stereo-dimensional-array-sda

Here is a link to westmassguys SDA 2ATL "Franken-Polk" build. http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited September 2017
    Ok, thinking maybe I got hosed on this one...

Right speaker has 6503/6513 and sl2000
    mk1ewrg58zu3.jpg

Left speaker has 6503/6503 and sl2000
    24guf1bfkwsi.jpg

The SDA connector is blade/blade, and both speakers have sw100 passives.
    63fvacz27c0i.jpg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Got a crossover picture?

• Looks like someone did a down and dirty repair for a quick sale. Threw in any old Polk woofer. Those are blade/blade, 3rd generation by the looks of it. They should be all MW6510 woofers. The 6503 however, is the only replacement Polk has now for the 6510, so they'll most likely work just fine. You'll need one more 6503 though. Then again, if you want to do a correct restoration, you'll need four 6510s, and fleaBay is about the only place you'll find them (salvaged).
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • daddyjt
    edited September 2017
    Here are some pictures of the crossover - also, is there any issue with removing the wire mesh grill over the passives (aside from eliminating the protection it provides)?

iw5gjymk4c69.jpg
    5y2gn9nv2guh.jpg
    cuka29k2t6zy.jpg
    d89lc1dfnsdf.jpg

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt wrote: »
    is there any issue with removing the wire mesh grill over the passives (aside from eliminating the protection it provides)?

Nope, remove away bro.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Here are some pictures of the crossover

iw5gjymk4c69.jpg
    5y2gn9nv2guh.jpg
    cuka29k2t6zy.jpg
    d89lc1dfnsdf.jpg

Definitely the first version of CRS+'s which are the 3rd CRS version(the first two had dual tweeters). That is the same type of crossover as a SDA 2A uses. They should be fine with 4 MW6503's in place of the original MW610's like westmassguy stated. He knows how to do a TL/RD0198 swap on that model too.

Still a good score all things considered.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Pick-up another 6503 and have wmg build the crossovers around those and a pair of 198's. Heaven.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    What models used the 6513? Maybe it's just me, but that's not a model # which seems to come up often.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Here are some pictures of the crossover - also, is there any issue with removing the wire mesh grill over the passives (aside from eliminating the protection it provides)?

Why do you want to remove them?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    F1nut wrote: »

Why do you want to remove them?

No real reason honestly. I took them off to remove the passives and check them over. I left them off for now, because the boxes sit flat while removing drivers and checking things over from the front. Then i started wondering why the grills were even there - I haven't grills like that since my car stereo days forever ago.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    edited September 2017
    TNTsTunes wrote: »
    Here are some pictures of the crossover

iw5gjymk4c69.jpg
    5y2gn9nv2guh.jpg
    cuka29k2t6zy.jpg
    d89lc1dfnsdf.jpg

Definitely the first version of CRS+'s which are the 3rd CRS version(the first two had dual tweeters). That is the same type of crossover as a SDA 2A uses. They should be fine with 4 MW6503's in place of the original MW610's like westmassguy stated. He knows how to do a TL/RD0198 swap on that model too.

Still a good score all things considered.

I think they will be a fun project - the boxes are in fabulous shape, and the grills are perfect. I'll grab another 6503 and a pair of 198's and then tackle the crossovers.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    We must be neighbors - I had my eye on those too! I was going to go get them last weekend but the stars didn't align... This wasn't the first time those were up on KSL... that said, I was going to offer you a driver, but I just checked the garage and I only have 6502's. Interested to hear how they work out for you!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • FestYboy
    DaveHo wrote: »
    What models used the 6513? Maybe it's just me, but that's not a model # which seems to come up often.

They are used in the AB700 for sure, as I'm staring at 4 of them.
  • FestYboy wrote: »

I read a post you made earlier today that said those use MW6012's???

• daddyjt

According to this chart, they are only used in the SDA SRS 2.3. Might be a rare one, I will put it on eBay and maybe offset the price of the 6503 I need.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/35349.pdf

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    JayMX wrote: »
    We must be neighbors - I had my eye on those too! I was going to go get them last weekend but the stars didn't align... This wasn't the first time those were up on KSL... that said, I was going to offer you a driver, but I just checked the garage and I only have 6502's. Interested to hear how they work out for you!

I'm in Layton - just north of SLC. Thanks for the thought on the driver!

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434

I'm in Layton - just north of SLC. Thanks for the thought on the driver!

Farmington!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

According to this chart, they are only used in the SDA SRS 2.3. Might be a rare one, I will put it on eBay and maybe offset the price of the 6503 I need.

If the 6513 is from a 2.3 it will have a donut weight on the drivers face. It might just be a 6503 with the donut added, I'm not sure.

o7qiyqic35rc.png

• FestYboy
    FestYboy wrote: »

I read a post you made earlier today that said those use MW6012's???

Sorry, you're right, the AB700 are mw6512, not 6513
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited September 2017

If the 6513 is from a 2.3 it will have a donut weight on the drivers face. It might just be a 6503 with the donut added, I'm not sure.

o7qiyqic35rc.png

Looking at the schematic that is it. 2x6510
    2x6511
    2x6513
  • F1nut

o7qiyqic35rc.png

Not all 6513's came with the donut. Just another quirky part of SDA history.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited September 2017
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Looking at the schematic that is it. 2x6510
    2x6511
    2x6513

Yup. The 6511's are the stereo drivers, the 6510's are the SDA drivers and the 6513's are the sub bass drivers that have the donut weight mass mounted to the speaker cones.

I believe the donut is just added to an existing MW 65?? driver to make it a 6513. I have a feeling they used a 6503 to make a 6513 driver but I'm not sure.

His 6513 has a 10 stamped on it like it was from a M10 speaker. A 6513 might just be a 6503 with the donut added to it. Polk might have needed some that 6503's for production and may have used a 6513's that didn't have the donut attached yet to keep the production line going.

If you look at the full size image you'll see all the stampings on his 6513 driver match the ones on the 6503 driver next to it. Even the signature matches.

In his first post you can see his 6513 driver lacks the donut weight mass. It's not a true 6513 driver. He may be just fine with the drivers he has, hard to say.

• F1nut
    Nope, there were 6513 drivers with donuts and 6513 drivers without donuts. They were not converted 6503's.

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nope, there were 6513 drivers with donuts and 6513 drivers without donuts. They were not converted 6503's.

Thanks for the insight - this is all very confusing, but very interesting at the same time.

If I could ask, what is the difference between all the different drivers? The 6513 I pulled has an impedance of 7 ohms...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    edited September 2017
    All of the MWxxxx drivers have different Q, Resistance and Fs ratings. I believe that info is posted somewhere in here.

And here it is. Note, the 6513 is not listed.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/118471/current-production-drivers-vintage-support/p1

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    What was the donut supposed to do? It seems the added weight would keep the driver from moving.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    Ok, thanks, that makes sense.

Is the 6503 available from Polk? If not, I found a couple on eBay going for $45....

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn