Texas Hurricane

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wow, that's unreal. I just can't fathom the size and scope of this....in an area such as Houston yet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    Let's cross our fingers, there's another one churning in the Atlantic. It makes me sick to my stomach that so many people will be bankrupt after this with no means to rebuild.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Very true, after hurricane Ike many never returned to Galveston. They moved out of town or even out of state. Lots of homes were never even opened till a year later.

This is a much larger scale :'(
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Jeez.
    Even with all the footage, the effect of the devastation just doesn't quite register until you hear the stories of the effect on people, throughout, and specifically in dealing with the aftermath.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Good thing he has boots on ;)

I'm curious as to the situation with the city's water supply. I haven't read anything regarding it, so any locals have any information regarding that ?
    Metro areas of that size I assume have large reservoirs for supply. What is their status ? And what is the situation with the area's pumping station or stations ?

I ask because during our areas 500-year flood back in '93, the City of St. Louis water pumping station came very, very close to having to shut down. I had left there about 4 years earlier but was still in contact with a lot of folks there. The crews were on 24/7 duty to keep the "boat afloat" and had to be delivered half-way to the site via jon boats.
    The guys described the situation to me and said that if the river had come up another 6", they would be forced to shut down. With what they told me, they were right.
    The Waterworks has since done some MASSIVE alterations to prevent that situation in the future.

So I'm just curious as to what the potable water situation is. You can have water, water everywhere but if you don't have a drop to drink, well, that's not a good thing.
    Sal Palooza
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    We had 30" here. Minor roof leak, but we're in no danger of flooding and the winds weren't bad here. My parents live by Corpus. They had some uprooted trees, moved their carport 80' and turned it completely around, and some minor wind damage to their shop and roof on the house, but nothing too bad.

My brother lives in Dayton. They've had over 50" of rain at this point and might even surpass 60 by the week's end. His house had about an inch or less of water in it. But I have friends all over that have lost much more. Flooding several feet deep in their homes, some completely lost their homes by the coast from the wind. There's been reports of a van full of 6 people that perished and even a Houston police officer. Historic and tragic, all at the same time. They literally had to add more colors to indicate the rainfall amounts. The pictures filling my facebook timeline of friends who have been directly affected by the storm are numerous and saddening. People like my brother who didn't have flood insurance because they're not in any flood plain (including the 500 year flood plain) is pretty common, and I feel for them the most. A good friend of mine in Rockport lost about 20-30% of the structure on his house, but luckily he has coverage for everything since it is much more expected.

I think the loss of life now is around 10-15, but I bet the final number is going to be over or in the hundreds.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    I saw these images on news and can't even imagine what it must be like in person. Thoughts and prayers to all those affected. Stay safe!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Side note: I work in insurance, but not super familiar with auto....

The Gov is on the hook for flooding (for those with coverage), what I'm trying to fathom is the amount of CARS that are going to be totaled out now for flooding, and the costs... Its going to be on a Katrina/Sandy scale scale if not more.

Also wondering if its covered under collision or comprehensive. Hopefully its covered under either as I cant image the pain of losing a house AND a vehicle at the same time with the possibility of no coverage to replace either.

I'm betting that the car lots wont be able to keep up with demand, since its likely their existing inventory is also totaled.

After Katrina & Sandy insurance companies actually rented private AIRFIELDS, JUST TO PARK TOTALED CARS ON because they had that many.... I think pictures are on google of that.

This is gonna be even worse.

Again, hearts and prayers to all you guys!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Over 200,000 cars for Katrina. I'm going to say that number for Harvey will be 3-4 times, maybe even more

Business and jobs will be stifled. Horrible decisions will have to be made. Of course construction will boom so some scales will tip.

Just going to be a lot different for the next year.

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I heard estimates of 500k cars will be toast. Which means, the used car prices are going to skyrocket, and new car salesmen are going to make a killing. All the appliances too that are going to need replacing.

Now would be a good time to open a junkyard/recycling center, mold remediation, carpet cleaning business down there.

I also saw a story that said 80% of those flooded, don't have flood insurance. Lots of foreclosed properties in the future as people will have no choice but to walk away.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Now would be a good time to open a junkyard/recycling center, mold remediation, carpet cleaning business down there.

There are "get rich quick" schemes brewing in many a'peoples heads right now.
    From buying up building material to registering companies for insurance work.

The cars on the other hand....Carmax will grab as many as they can. Spit shine them and resell to unsuspecting individuals.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Be aware of shady used car dealers trying to fix up and sell flood vehicles around the area.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Look for fuel shortages
    Gas up while you can

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Being Houston, you know there are many high end autos underwater.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Look for fuel shortages
    Gas up while you can

USA Today has an article that said 25% of USA's refining has been knocked out.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    The refineries in Baytown are 5' underwater

From my insider reports even the distributors could be shut down for 4-5 days

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    Look for fuel shortages
    Gas up while you can

it should be noted that this likely is not limited to Texans. Fair warning to all...
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,587
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Look for fuel shortages
    Gas up while you can

it should be noted that this likely is not limited to Texans. Fair warning to all...

very true Cody.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I haven't checked but people at my office, in Irving, were complaining that all stations in the area were out of gas during lunch.

Wife took the truck to fill up this morning, in north west Ft Worth, and was 10th in line.

And prices at stations that have gas are starting to increase rapidly.

Ron - you will chuckle at this. Story on the news showing the Bucees in north Ft Worth. Cars were lined up onto the service road of 35W.

I agree small sacrifice for us in North Texas.

You guys in the Houston area be safe.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    As soon as news picks up on any outage, the run on it will cause bigger outages just before the holiday weekend.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just trying to get around town (Irving) is nuts now. Waiting lines out of gas stations into the streets. So you have to carefully pass the line in the left lane watching out for that guy in line that get pissed and pulls out just as you get to him.

I did see a couple of stations without lines today. Wondered why until I saw their price on their sign showing $3.99 and higher per gallon. Wife works a little East of where Kennedy was shot and saw a $5/gallon sign this afternoon. I saw a story on yahoo or Google news where a Best Buy close to Houston is selling bottled water now. Only $40 a case. Businesses that do this crap need to be burned down.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    $3.99 a gallon? To me that is cheap considering the situation. Beats sitting in a line. Time is money.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    $3.99 a gallon? To me that is cheap considering the situation. Beats sitting in a line. Time is money.

Time is money my friend. I have donated almost 30% of my yearly salary to charity this year and it's only September. On top of that I also volunteer for the North Texas Food Bank. Yes, something as this is nothing to you, $3.99 ... It is life altering to others. I see it every week.

Cheers
  • txcoastal1
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That water was Smart Water and was over sold by $10 a case
    If you see gas in TX for over $4 for regular unleaded then you need to report it

Take a pick of the station and the pump license

Gouging is illegal in TX

• halen
    edited September 2017
    Options
    That water was Smart Water and was over sold by $10 a case
    If you see gas in TX for over $4 for regular unleaded then you need to report it

Take a pick of the station and the pump license

Gouging is illegal in TX

Damn straight bro. Didn't happen in my part of town, but did happen in Irving and along I75 by Texas Instruments. You have no idea how much it pisses me off to see it
    I am tired and worn out.

Cheers
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Have to fill up my work truck on a daily basis. I have no idea why any manufacturer would put a 22 gallon tank in a vehicle that gets about 13 mpg, but that's what I have to deal with. Wasn't able to gas up until the fifth station I pulled into. No gas at the others.

Anyway, by the time I got home, back down to 1/4 tank. That's what happens when part of your job is driving over 200 miles a day. Funny thing is that the tankers, from what I've heard, are actually delivering about 20 percent more gas to stations than they usually do this time of year. At least in this area of Texas.

What's even more ironic is the person in front of me got $8.45 worth of gas, driving a Tahoe. Two thoughts crossed my mind. What are people going to say when contractors can't get to their house, for say a broken water line, because they can't find gas? And secondly, is anybody going to complain louder than the person who fills there tank when the needle drops just below the F line on their gauge?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    Smart Water sounds pretty stupid to me... just sayin.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halen
    Options
    Smart Water sounds pretty stupid to me... just sayin.

Didn't you west coaster Cali folks ban bottled water?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    No.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.