Problem removing drivers

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and have enjoyed reading the discussions here. I have a question concerning my Monitor 10 speakers. I want to glue the magnets on the MW but after removing the screws the drivers are sealed onto the cabinets. I tried to gently pry them off but they are stuck. Is this normal or has the previous owner applied some sort of caulk to seal them? Thanks in advanced for any suggestions, Glenn
Harman Kardon HK 505
Harman Kardon HT 500
Optonica RP 3636 mkll
Luxman L210
Luxman T240
Luxman PD-289
Audio Technica at12sa
Audio Technica at440mla
Signet tk5ea
Shure M97xE
ADC XLM mkII
Pioneer CT-F9191
Pioneer RT 707
Pioneer DV 563A
JVC XL-V251
Cerwin Vega Sub 150
Polk Monitor 10's
Polk Monitor 7's
Wharfedale w70d
Wharfedale w60d
Wharfedale w40d
Advent Baby II

Best Answer

Answers

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    I'm not familiar with the Monitor 10s but if you can get behind the drivers try pushing them out by the magnets, Don't pry on the baskets.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The PR comes off easier, then do as Tony states.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks gimpod, I thought of that but the passive driver is also sealed with some kind of caulking material. On one of the MWs the material has come out on the edge and it is white and feels like that tac it stuff you use to stick pictures to the wall.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • I tried to pull the gasket out and it stretches but it doesn't tear off. It would have to be cut from what I can see.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • That sounds right to me. To bad I can't see if they did that after they glued the magnets. They pass the seal test, I can push in the PR and the MW's slowly return to their resting position. I guess I'll have to just try gently prying one off. Hopeful it will be glued and I will only have to do the one driver.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    gimpod wrote: »
    Unfortunately sounds like some one used mortite rope caulk. be genital.
    Spoken like a true Polk lover!
    I disabled signatures.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    msg wrote: »
    gimpod wrote: »
    Unfortunately sounds like some one used mortite rope caulk. be genital.
    Spoken like a true Polk lover!

I just noticed that and yes I can't speel:
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • F1nut
    Ok, what you need to do is remove the binding post plate, then stick a wooden pole in the hole pressed up against the back of the PR, but not dead center. Tap on the pole gently to push the PR out. It helps to have someone ready to catch the PR.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1nut. The tweeter comes out easily. I can't stick my hand in that hole but I can put a pole thru there to push out the PR. Will the bracing be in the way? I've never opened 10's before. I have seen pictures of opened ones and from what I've seen the brace is in the center. Also, when I get the drivers out do I need to clean the old gasket material out and replace it with the tape from Lowe's I've read about?
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • F1nut
    I really don't think you'll be able to push the PR out that way. You should be able to reuse the original gaskets.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    F1nut wrote: »
    I really don't think you'll be able to push the PR out that way. You should be able to reuse the original gaskets.

Doesn't sound like there are original gaskets Jesse.
  • I will try your suggestion F1nut on going thru the binding post hole tomorrow. I hope they are the original gaskets, but it looks like they aren't being white instead of gray, you never know until you try. Thanks again to everyone for the help. I will post tomorrow what I find.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • F1nut
    The early Monitor 10's used a Mortite type material for the gaskets. After all these years the drivers are basically glued in place. Chances are your gaskets are original.

President of Club Polk

• Well I got the drivers out and F1nut you were right, they did have Mortite gaskets that had glued themselves in place. I do think they can be reused, not a tear or separation on any of them.The insides look like they have never been opened before. I had to take the PR out first and was able to get the MW's out from there. Interesting note about what I found inside. One side of the case was glued and sealed with the orange glue usually seen and the other side was sealed with a thinner black glue. Is this normal? I've read Loctite clear is good for the magnets. Should I go with that?
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • Thanks pitdogg2 for the suggestion on the Armacell, but the gaskets were fine after pulling the drivers. I do need a suggestion on what to use in gluing the magnets. I read some people prefer JB weld and others like Loctite. I think the Loctite would be easier and it is a cleaner look from the pictures I've seen.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2017
    Locktite...unless you live in Canuckistan...Locktite is illegal :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    I am sure they are still good but the linked armacell will be easier should you ever need to remove the drivers again. It has been used by many here at polk. Seals good and doesn't pull off wood from the cabinet like mortite can. As you know its your call. Just another option is all.

Yes the loctite power grab is easier to apply and clean up us soap and water. It can be bought in small vinyl squeeze tubes as well.
  • Thanks pitdogg2, that's good to know. I was wondering which Loctite variety to buy and now I know. Thanks again. This forum and the knowledge shared here is great. So glad I stumbled across it.
    Harman Kardon HK 505
    Harman Kardon HT 500
    Optonica RP 3636 mkll
    Luxman L210
    Luxman T240
    Luxman PD-289
    Audio Technica at12sa
    Audio Technica at440mla
    Signet tk5ea
    Shure M97xE
    ADC XLM mkII
    Pioneer CT-F9191
    Pioneer RT 707
    Pioneer DV 563A
    JVC XL-V251
    Cerwin Vega Sub 150
    Polk Monitor 10's
    Polk Monitor 7's
    Wharfedale w70d
    Wharfedale w60d
    Wharfedale w40d
    Advent Baby II
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Thanks pitdogg2, that's good to know. I was wondering which Loctite variety to buy and now I know. Thanks again. This forum and the knowledge shared here is great. So glad I stumbled across it.

Stick around there's a lot of knowledgeable folks here willing to help out. You'd be surprised how much you can learn here in a short amount of time by simply following some of the threads.

Truth
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member