Full of Schiit

2»

Comments

• Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited September 2017
    Not to get deep in the technical weeds of D to A conversion, but having gone through a couple of DSP & physics classes, one of the things I remember from my collegiate days was the concept of 'pre-ringing' when converting a digital signal to analog. How the hell can a signal be affected prior to its time domain occurrence? Doesn't seem real. Yet, the mathematical theory predicts this, and the real world result is an ever so slight smearing of the sound signal, so they say. (then of course, going through my statics/dynamics class, the concept of 'imaginary #s and the 's-plane' explains why the old Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gurdy) rocked itself into pieces... all because its nodal frequency #s didn't resolve in to the s-plane (the imaginary numbers plane - 'i' [square root of negative 1]) So go figure about some of that mathematic hypothesis BS ....some of that schiit is actually real!

Meridian came out with a product line of CD players/Digital processors that had their technical solution for this pre-ringing - Apodizing filter... at a very, very steep price. The architecture plus the processing algorithm that Schiit uses also solves this 'pre-ringing' conundrum... so they say (very subtly)... and I've been interested to take the plunge, but yet haven't had the $$ to justify this purchase on my priority list.

As an audio geek... I hope some day to marry theory with practical experience and buy a Yiggy! I fully believe in their design and concept. Even without having heard one! Plus their attitude to hi-fi, and all the posturing and all... Those guyz rock!
    Post edited by Mr_Hz on
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    I sat for a bit and pondered upon how I would get the output of the Schiit over to the BH Mainline headphone amp. Then a light came on...dimly at first but eventually enough to make a decision with. I already had a pair of long rca's feeding the TT to the main system. All I had to do was move each end about 6 inches to new connectors (one on the secondary DAC output and the other to the Mainline input). Pretty tough to do, probably took almost two entire minutes!

ummm...wow. I know that RCA run is a bit much in length but putting that Schiit through the Mainline into the HD 800S's is an experience. I think it might just stay that way!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    OMG! Put it's clothes back on!!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • I run a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack for my desk rig. And i must agree.

It's some good Schiit.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Recently picked up an Yggy. Maybe 200 hours on it now. Sounded fantastically smooth and detailed (in the beach rig listed below). Brought it into town and slotted the Yggy and F5 Clone (bought here) into the den rig. LOVE the bump in inner detail. Extremely dynamic, lovely "true" tone. Probably best sound I've had there. Trade-off was slightly narrower soundstage - maybe a foot or so. Not sure of the specific cause. Continuing to burn in to see if it improves. Haven't A/B'd, but I'm fairly certain it sounds better than the PS Audio DSJr.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Are you listening to music while the storm is coming?

Sounds like a good way to keep the nerves calm to me. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ALL212
    More Schiit on the way. Bifrost Multibit shipped today.

Going to use it to see if I can get the Roon bridge working. Right now a rig has a very long rca cable feeding a system from the Yggy and it hums a bit.

The bridge should allow me to stream through the small PC running the bridge software directly to the Bifrost via usb and eliminate the long RCA.

We’ll see... and maybe pit it against the yggy to see how they compare
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Bifrost Multibit arrived about a week ago and I’ve had it breaking in for a couple of days now.

I’ve pulled the music hall and put this in its place. Nothing fancy - a squeezebox 2 on wireless through this Schiit to the Bottlehead crackA2A or stereomour. Headphones tonight are the HDxxx’s.

Very precise and nice with the tubed equipment. Nice small unit and isn’t throwing any heat. Could replace the Music hall easily.

Next, when I find time, to set it up on Roon bridge.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    ALL212 wrote: »
    More Schiit on the way. Bifrost Multibit shipped today.
    Nice! That DAC has been on my "upgrade" list for some time. Eventually, I'll get there.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ALL212
    edited September 2018
    Roon bridge - easy! This allows you to stream through a networked PC to a usb dac that is not networkable.

I used an embedded win 7 thin client (about 6”x6”x1”) cabled to my network (next to test via wireless) and usb attached to the music hall 25.3. PC sees the dac and via Roon you set that up as a zone.

Assuming the wireless works (I’ve no reason to think it won’t - new Ubiquity wireless ap in the house) I can put a headphone amp darn near anywhere assuming I have AC power. That’s just an extension cord on the back deck!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Your excitement makes me wanna bridge my Roon.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Just make sure the doors are shut when you do so.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    On wireless now . PC is setup to auto logon so just turn it on, wait about 2 minutes and bridge starts automatically. No mouse, keyboard or monitor needed at this stage. Power and attachment to the music hall dac viA usb and done.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire