Cable Elevators ~ part deux

Options
First let me say that I've long given up caring as to whether cable elevators have any effect on the sound, so no one needs to go there.

I purchased ten wooden cable elevators years ago from Russ Andrews and painted them flat black. They are used to support the MIT speaker cables in my big rig. However, one thing bothered me a bit, they are very light weight, so a bit tippy. Over the years I thought of various ways to make them heavier, but since that was really low on the list time just slipped by until last week when I got the serious bug. I found some 2" diameter, 3/8" thick 316 stainless steel discs. I used 3M double sided ultra thin adhesive to attach the disc and put a self adhesive rubber disc on the very bottom. This is the result of which I'm beyond tickled.

xrhjfpu6hy9p.jpg

ctag1z0gye1r.jpg

btbircd9jwo3.jpg

I'm so tickled with these that I've ordered a boat load more cable elevators, discs and rubber pads to do my other rigs. B)

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    Shaking my head ....
    BLING BLING
    Pretty cool Jesse.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Dag Jes, those things look pro finished. Very nice.
    How long 'til they're fully broken in?
    I disabled signatures.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Inquiring minds want to know where you sourced the elusive black paint.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    msg wrote: »

200 hours, it's always 200 hours.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

I lied, there is no black paint, it's a dye. >:)

President of Club Polk

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited August 2017
    Options
    They look factory to me......but then again, I've never seen an elevator/riser factory so what do I know?

On cable risers and carpet I never can remember, isolate or insulate? I think risers with miniature spikes might be overkill.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Regardless of the sound impact. That's pretty cool. Very sharp.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I lied, there is no black paint, it's a dye. >:)

That explains it! Else I was gonna ask you to out your source...
  • msg
    Options
    I think risers with miniature spikes might be overkill.
    Psssh - No such thing!
    I think 3 spikes per elevator, minimum for stability. Or outriggers.

Also, core out the aluminum base, fill with lead shot. Finish by pouring the contents of a Cards Quad filled solder pot over the shot to fill any voids. Or in a pinch, Play Sand as a second best alternative. Next to depleted Uranium, I mean.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options

200 hours, it's always 200 hours.

I thought it was 10,000 hours... ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/new-study-destroys-malcolm-gladwells-10000-rule-2014-7

oh, wait, that's been debunked...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Very elegant.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    I heard that a layer of BH5 between the riser and metal disc can work wonders for bass extension and imaging.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Sleek and elegant!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    They look Professionally made, Very well done Jesse.. :)
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Very cool looking. Inquiring minds want to know. How much does each assembled unit set one back?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Very nice!
    My Belden cables would look great displayed on them >:)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    Psssh - No such thing!

Also, core out the aluminum base, fill with lead shot. Finish by pouring the contents of a Cards Quad filled solder pot over the shot to fill any voids. Or in a pinch, Play Sand as a second best alternative. Next to depleted Uranium, I mean.

Scott it's 316 stainless. Not aluminium. If you would just melt and pour the lead shot there would be no need to waste the Cardas solder...
    I mean come on man think this through :p
  • F1nut
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Very cool looking. Inquiring minds want to know. How much does each assembled unit set one back?

Materials and labor plus a profit margin.....I think you'd be looking at a retail price of $50.00 each.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Looks great.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Hey Jesse,
    Where did you find the ss discs?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • msg
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Psssh - No such thing!

Scott it's 316 stainless. Not aluminium. If you would just melt and pour the lead shot there would be no need to waste the Cardas solder...
    I mean come on man think this through :p
    lol, dangit, morning speed-reading; bah; I read 'stainless' but changed it to al-yoo-min-eeum in my mind.

I thought about just melting the lead as well, but... well... eh, ah, forget it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    Jesse, did those rubber discs come sized just so, or did you have to cut them? The look clean and appear to fit perfectly. Curious where you sourced them.
    I disabled signatures.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    You know they must be cryoed. Have you put them in the freezer for the minimum 1300 hours. Seriously, they look like audio jewelry.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's all out there, you just have to look for it.

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    They look fantastic!!!

Great job Jesse!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    It's all out there, you just have to look for it.

You sir are not allowed to talk that way.... I refuse to search for things :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Those look great. I made some out of solid oak, stained and laboured. They look cool, didn't notice any change in sound.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    ^^^ lacquered not laboured
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.