The LP Lover's thread...

Options

Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    One of these days my table will match my Walnut Bottlehead Eros phono stage...a PTP5 stainless top plate Lenco. The motor is separate of the main bearing plate. I'll keep my air bearing linear, maybe stick a pivoted arm on it too.
    Nice wood working! You have skills.

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Some gorgeous tables shown here, my current Deck.

8ejp0az6zaid.jpg

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Just picked up this guy tonight.
    fu0bmud65hke.jpg

I hate doing dishes but I'm excited to wash records? What's happening to me?!!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Just picked up this guy tonight.
    fu0bmud65hke.jpg

I hate doing dishes but I'm excited to wash records? What's happening to me?!!

If you're married.....Divorce :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    @treitz3 , thanks for the unobtainium wish list... :#

Since I'm new to the game and have permission to procure a new to me TT, are there any recommendations for a budget minded "starter" table? I know anything will be an improvement over the Panasonic that I'm currently using... I'm thinking the $500 range... So I know I'll be looking at the used market.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Before the Nottingham I picked up a musichall MMF 7.1, and that was a fantastic sounding table for the money. I don't have much experience in the TT realm, but I'm sure others will recommend something vintage.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    not mine -- but about as good as it gets.

hz3kcpg6mgh4.jpg
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    ^^I like the high tech isolators. I use those under all my equipment.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I've got some, too :)

The Fairchild tables were all pretty nice, and the 750 is the sine qua non.
    This one's "only" a two-speed -- note the stick shift.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    7m3r92mrgvo6.png
    Hey Rich, which light/lamp is that that you're using for your turntable?
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Glad to see this thread -- I have nothing of substance to add (imagine that?!) ;) but I will cogitate and chime in if I can cobble up something profound or interesting to say.

I still think that the resolution of analog records, and photographic film (for that matter) cannot be beat.

I really like the sound of some of our vinyl and its fun to play at times.

Not a die hard vinyl person though, I will admit, but your comment about resolution got me curious.
    I kinda thought the actual resolution of vinyl was lesser than all digital sound formats, due to partially the buit in noise floor being relatively somewhat high in comparison to digital

Or are you talking about in some other way?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I think he means resolution is terms analog having infinite "samples"....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I thought I had a nice table, until I see the tables above. Lots of really nice tables here gentlemen.

I agree.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    7m3r92mrgvo6.png
    Hey Rich, which light/lamp is that that you're using for your turntable?

I stole it off our BBQ grill! I think the wife bought it. It has a clamp, batteries with switch in the clamp end.

I see Amazon has them....mine doesn't have holes in the reflector though.

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Concepts-Grill-Light-Bright/dp/B01F7RO4YS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1502227657&sr=8-4&keywords=clamp+on+grill+light

7c5nnauwg77x.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    .... due to partially the buit in noise floor being relatively somewhat high in comparison to digital
    ?

You might be amazed at how low the noise floor with vinyl can be. That is no hiss or hum while playing and no hiss or hum when you lift the needle to stop the playing. With a micro-line stylus you get deeper in the groove of a record. This helps with used records where other types of stylus were used and the records and stylus were not kept clean. That means no tics and pops and a quiet back ground. Darn amazing.

I put a lot of money into a DIY DAC with discrete balanced output (no op amps) and it sounds fantastic, yet everyone prefers the vinyl playback here. My vinyl has incredible bass, midrange and highs. Goosebump type stuff.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • msg
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Dag, Rich, nice, I like the sound of that. What are some examples of micro-line stylii? Perhaps, something I might run on a Technics 1210.

Thanks for the info on the lamp!
    Good laugh.

I have one of these in place for now. Gonna see if I can get some dimmer colored LED blubbs for it, or maybe make some gels, but going to see about one like yours. I like the nice subtle lamps I see in some of the tt setup photos. If nothing else, I can identify it for... the grill.

0j16w486hvp8.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I think clean records help with noise floor ALOT! Just because they are new doesn't mean they are clean either. I couldn't believe how quiet vinyl can be until I heard a Nottingham. And most recently transrotor. Stylus shape as other have already mentioned Is huge, my Carmen is very quiet, and pulls incredible details from a record. I feel most people haven't heard a good anolog setup before.

My first TT (a teac TN300) was utterly disappointing.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• SCompRacer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Dag, Rich, nice, I like the sound of that. What are some examples of micro-line stylii? Perhaps, something I might run on a Technics 1210.

My AT33PTG/II has what they call a MicroLinear stylus. Different manufacturers use different names for the fine line stylus so tough for me to come up with suggestions right now.

Here is a good read from SoundSmith.

https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

"Then, there are the "fine line" styli, including standard Contact Line, as well as the more esoteric evolutions such as Shibata,  Micro Line or Ridge, Optimized Contour Contact Line (Soundsmith) and so on. These are almost always nudes, for lowest possible mass. These designs have a sharper edge (radius) that play the record groove walls, which allows better high frequency reproduction (especially at the inner grooves where it is more difficult) resulting in lower distortion, better imaging, depth, and many other aspects of fine analog listening that are lost when the high frequencies are not resolved as well - usually by lower quality stylus shapes. "
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,064
    Options
    I feel most people haven't heard a good anolog setup before.

I'm sure that is a very accurate statement.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    Options
    See signature.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2017
    Options
    When it comes to accurate (ahem, if you will, high fidelity) reproduction of a waveform, I'd opine (with characteristic humility, of course) that resolution is an "issue" in two dimensions: amplitude (y) and time (x). Analog storage of waveforms has it all over digital when it comes to resolution in the time domain (again, I'd opine, being well aware that there are probably volumes of data from Nyquist on down that "prove" otherwise) -- if for no other reason than it is so much simpler to extract and transduce data from a record groove to a loudspeaker than it is to get it back from the digital domain, translate (back!) to analog, and then transduce. [EDIT: whoa, that paragraph is worthy of Henry James in terms of its wordiness and impenetrability, sorry!]

In theory, though, I'll grant you that the ultimate s/n in the digital domain is better than vinyl. Probably not better, believe it or not, better than 15 ips half-track tape, though... but that's definitely another story for another day ;)

EDIT: By way of a diversionary rhetorical tactic* :) I'll remind us all that research into "perceptual encoding" led us to a plethora of "lossy" formats which, the experts insist(ed), encodes all of the perceptually important information from that original, analog waveform into a compact digital format (e.g., the MPx standard) -- and we all know and love the perceptual encoding of MP3, right? ;)

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Thanks! I am a big fan of the 103 family. I also have a 103D and 103M. I would like to have a 103SA one day, but I haven't found one yet for a price I would consider pulling the trigger on.

If you need any help/advice with anything 103 related, hit me up anytime. Oh and couldn't agree more with having threaded inserts! Makes life so much easier. Just be careful with the wood bodies and the screws. It is possible to overtighten the screws and strip the wood threads.

I sent my 103R to Terence at Paradox Audio last week and he removed it from the original plastic body, installed and potted it into one of his Pulse Bodies and returned it, all within 24 hours.

f1s0fxg5v43a.jpg

awo0jvc3bmth.jpg

Good Lawd, this Sombitch Sings!!!

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Oh wow! Congrats! That seriously kicks butt and the looks are gorgeous! You have a really sweet setup!
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Yep! I love Ken's tag line "The easiest way to enjoy digital is to never hear a good analog setup"! I think that sums it up perfectly!
  • msg
    Options
    Verrry nice, Mike.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Yep! I love Ken's tag line "The easiest way to enjoy digital is to never hear a good analog setup"! I think that sums it up perfectly!

I'd have to agree. My favorite analog is RTR. Either way it's a rabbit hole that I try to avoid, because once you start, it's another addiction

Love going to Luther's and listening to his multimedia set-ups
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    Thanks! I am a big fan of the 103 family. I also have a 103D and 103M. I would like to have a 103SA one day, but I haven't found one yet for a price I would consider pulling the trigger on.

If you need any help/advice with anything 103 related, hit me up anytime. Oh and couldn't agree more with having threaded inserts! Makes life so much easier. Just be careful with the wood bodies and the screws. It is possible to overtighten the screws and strip the wood threads.

I sent my 103R to Terence at Paradox Audio last week and he removed it from the original plastic body, installed and potted it into one of his Pulse Bodies and returned it, all within 24 hours.

f1s0fxg5v43a.jpg

awo0jvc3bmth.jpg

Do you need a heavier counter weight to run this? The paradox is 14 grams?
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Mike Reeter
    Options

f1s0fxg5v43a.jpg

awo0jvc3bmth.jpg

Do you need a heavier counter weight to run this? The paradox is 14 grams?

Not on my arm, I can adjust the weight a considerable amount. I have a VPI Unipivot, I can see where it would be an issue for a few arms. I've read where some use a Lead Tape to add offset the heavier body.