Black paint

I hear rumors of there being a shortage or extreme exclusively to the rights to aquire said color in paint. Did the manufacturer go out of business, or like DuPont's R-12, was forced to cease production. I noticed there's matte black, and satin black, and even flat black all over the place. Just looking for clarification.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,020
    It's become a collectible.
    Fortunately, those that got in on the ground floor can get the exclusive, lot number matched Black Paint Owners' Kit.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    That must go for a pretty penny!

Nbrowser, since you claim to have all that is left, could you describe black paint for those whom haven't been introduced?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    O Captain! My Captain!
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I have my reservations about Kens alledged black paint stash.

He spelt colors wrong again..

I have, on good authority, that Kens colour of black paint is a non-functional compound once delivered south of 49. It becomes inert and won't adhere to anything animal, vegetable or mineral.

I can whip up a batch of Murican style black paint upon request....
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Apparently orange is the new black.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Its more valuable than bitcoin..
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    w7vd8onv66b3.jpeg
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Oh boy another 72 pages
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    According to The HgttG, the last can of black paint in existance in the Universe, is in posession of an old man who is the single inhanitant of a solitary moon in a distant galaxy. The old claimed repeatedly that "nothing is true", although later, he was found to be lying. :)
  • mhardy6647
    I actually bought, last week, a small can of black paint at... well... a local location that shall remain nameless.

Oh, and it's -- satin black. Now, that may sound odd to some of you... but it makes me feel pretty, OK?

• FestYboy
    ^ but from my understanding, satin black is not true black, so you've likely been jipped.

From what I've heard, true black reflects no light, just the nothingness of the soul. (Kinda deep, huh?)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    It's all shades of gray...or grey???

No black no more.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • FestYboy
    So very very dark gray is the best I can ever hope for? My despair is unfathomable.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,203
    nbrowser wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    That must go for a pretty penny!

Nbrowser, since you claim to have all that is left, could you describe black paint for those whom haven't been introduced?

swear on the paint chip an oat that will be shared when you complete the hazing ritual of being painted with a rainbow of colours resembling tie-dye
    Basically what he's saying is you have to share a single oat with the brethren while joining the "pride" movement. Sounds a little shady to me.

ixibtr0youzl.jpg
    0ve26rmcgs94.jpg

• FestYboy
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Oh boy another 72 pages

Do I detect a hint of jealousy? Wishing you had some black paint? :tongue:
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2017
    I mean, black paint doesn't grow on trees.

Spaghetti does, of course... but black paint? That's a negatory.

https://youtu.be/tVo_wkxH9dU

https://youtu.be/q-ZtGoXkI58
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    edited June 2017
    FestYboy wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Oh boy another 72 pages

Do I detect a hint of jealousy? Wishing you had some black paint? :tongue:

nope

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/29186/where-to-buy-black-paint
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    My 91 year old pint of "Chinese Red". It's label says; "Not a Paint - Not a Lacquer". Only 89% Lead! I bet it would still be good.
    5evzp2l24qhn.jpg
    8mut0m5f3b5y.jpg
    x5k1rs4qn107.jpg
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    deronb1 wrote: »
    According to The HgttG, the last can of black paint in existance in the Universe, is in posession of an old man who is the single inhanitant of a solitary moon in a distant galaxy. The old claimed repeatedly that "nothing is true", although later, he was found to be lying. :)

Wow Excellent! You are a true "Gunter" and not a poser B)

"Ready Player One"
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • I found it!
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • Ha! I know a guy, his name is Matt Black.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Thanos has it... good luck getting it from him.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    I used some just this afternoon -- had to touch up a little divot on one of the EMILAR EH-500-2 horns.

B)