Pros and cons of multiple subwoofers

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I don't think there is really any con to multiple subs other than additional footprint being taken up.

The only real downfall is the potential extra time needed to get them to constructively align.....

Its taken me a bit to get to where I feel they are complimenting each other and work well in my room....

But the extra time spent and the result are WELL WORTH IT, so dont get me wrong...

I'm a HUGE PROPONENT of AS MANY SUBS as you can get into your room as extra overhead is ALWAYS a good thing, it means you need less power, have less THD....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2017
    I don't think there is really any con to multiple subs other than additional footprint being taken up.
    The two Surround subs are just 12.5" cubed - easy to place.
    I'm a HUGE PROPONENT of AS MANY SUBS as you can get into your room as extra overhead is ALWAYS a good thing, it means you need less power, have less THD....
    I agree - the Starfish effect. Choose cafefully, though. Quality over quantity.

In my case, the front sub does the CC's heavy lifting & LFE duties only. To set the Surrounds to Large I must set the LR* to Large.
    *Good to the low 30s

I pray the 976 allows independent setting of Large or Small as I choose. Of course if I happen across another B1.39 or two more Evidence subs, well...

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus wrote: »
    The two Surround subs are just 12.5" cubed -

The smallest dimension on my subs are 24".
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Two subs were definitely better than one. Three were certainly better than two. Now let’s see how number four pans out. B)o:)
  • gp4jesus
    Two subs were definitely better than one. Three were certainly better than two. Now let’s see how number four pans out. B)o:)
    These days each “corner” has its own sub - by EXO for their respective channel. Further, a 5th sub, good to 20hz, connected to my Prepro’s sub out - performing LFE & the CC’s heavy lifting.

Crazy? Maybe but movies & music are a real kick.

Side note: some one earlier comented about “Interstellar*” popping breakers. Is that* a movie?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited July 2018
    Yes sir, sure is

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

You guys must have some serious theater rooms. I can't imagine using another sub. I'm afraid the windows are going to blow out as it is.
  • honestaquarian
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    Yes sir, sure is

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0816692/

You guys must have some serious theater rooms. I can't imagine using another sub. I'm afraid the windows are going to blow out as it is.

@Airplay355 It's not about getting more bass necessarily. Multiple subs will work to break up the standing wave issue that ALL rooms have and therefore give you BETTER bass. That plus the fact that more means that each one doesn't have to work as hard.
    So it isn't just about maximum output (although for some bass heads it might be) It's about smoother frequency response and better quality bass that isn't being mucked up by the room.
  • gp4jesus
    @Airplay355 It's not about getting more bass necessarily. Multiple subs will work to break up the standing wave issue that ALL rooms have and therefore give you BETTER bass. That plus the fact that more means that each one doesn't have to work as hard.

So it isn't just about maximum output (although for some bass heads it might be) It's about smoother frequency response and better quality bass that isn't being mucked up by the room.
    “Yup!” (and therefore) “I’m not a bass head.”

• honestaquarian
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    These days each “corner” has its own sub - by EXO for their respective channel. Further, a 5th sub, good to 20hz, connected to my Prepro’s sub out - performing LFE & the CC’s heavy lifting.

Crazy? Maybe but movies & music are a real kick.

Side note: some one earlier comented about “Interstellar*” popping breakers. Is that* a movie?

Hey @gp4jesus
    Since my CS1000p center has built in subs with power ports, does technically mean I have five also?
  • honestaquarian
    Okay all four subs (*well five if you wamt to include the subs in the CS1000p center speaker*) are set up and running. Four is DEFINITELY BETTER than two! I'm not hearing as many issues with the usual room induced peaks and valleys (caused by standing waves) AND there seems to be a bit more impact on transients that I didn't expect to hear-like sudden sounds that come out of nowhere that they love to mix into movie soundtracks in order to startle you. Something falling to the floor for example.
  • honestaquarian
    Watching the reboot of The Mummy with Tom Cruise.
    Bass is amazing!
    Excellent transient impact and no boom whatsoever when the THX processing with the Audyssey EQ is turned on. Dolby True HD is sounding gooooood :)
  • gp4jesus
    edited July 2018
    Since my CS1000p center has built in subs with power ports, does technically mean I have five also?
    I think no.

Having a CC F3 of 35hz is great. RTi A7 & 9s “subs” dig into the low 30s too. But most would agree “they ain’t the real deal (true subs).”

Most would agree, “...at minimum well into the 20s.” Some would argue “you’re not serious unless” you’re in the the high teens at 90+ dB, under 10% distortion.

Tony

• honestaquarian
    I think no.

Having a CC F3 of 35hz is great. RTi A7 & 9s “subs” dig into the low 30s too. But most would agree “they ain’t the real deal (true subs).”

Most would agree, “...at minimum well into the 20s.” Some would argue “you’re not serious unless” you’re in the the high teens at 90+ dB, under 10% distortion.

Tony

Using that stringent criteria then most subs that are being sold out there in the marketplace would not qualify as true subs then.
    Oh well I’m just having fun with this (*after all fun IS what this is supposed to be all about riiiiiiiiight??*)
    Was watching Justice League on HBO yesterday with one of my former audio store bosses and there was this bass note that was really deep which partially pressurized the room. All of a sudden I can’t recall what scene it was in. I bought the 4K Blu-ray combo pack week before last and now I can’t wait to pop it in the Oppo! B)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think no.

Tony

Using that stringent criteria then most subs that are being sold out there in the marketplace would not qualify as true subs then.
    Oh well I’m just having fun with this (*after all fun IS what this is supposed to be all about riiiiiiiiight??*)
    Was watching Justice League on HBO yesterday with one of my former audio store bosses and there was this bass note that was really deep which partially pressurized the room. All of a sudden I can’t recall what scene it was in. I bought the 4K Blu-ray combo pack week before last and now I can’t wait to pop it in the Oppo! B)

Read this 4 times and guess you’re excited about your purchase, but don’t know why.
  • honestaquarian
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I think no.

Tony

Read this 4 times and guess you’re excited about your purchase, but don’t know why.

@rpf65 Neither do I. I'm just happy!
    I guess that makes me a bad man??? :'(
  • rpf65
    If you’re so happy about audio that you confuse yourself, you’re in the right place.

That sounds like something between a motto and a maxim.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Now watch "A Quiet Place"...it has some dips that rival the sine wave signal at the beginning of "Edge of Tomorrow"
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Now watch "A Quiet Place"...it has some dips that rival the sine wave signal at the beginning of "Edge of Tomorrow"

Just got the 4K release of this movie not sure if we were going to watch it on the big rig or the bedroom rig, with out the characters being able to speak, is it worth a go in 7.2 then due to sound effects?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    @ZLTFUL @gudnoyez
    What is that movie about again??
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Horror flick...monsters that hunt by sound.

Steve, the ambient noises make it a good atmospheric movie. Lots of other animals and noises to hear and when the monsters are moving around in the woods or a corn field, it produces a lot of surround effect.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Was the first full movie we watched after getting my beast, scared the crap out of the whole family, not for the content (which was bad by any means) but by the sound mixing. It was fantastic.
  • honestaquarian
    Watched James Bond Die another Day first on cable. Then halfway through decided to pull out the DVD and listen to the 6.1 channel DTS-ES mix. I DO NOT remember it sounding like this!!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Watched James Bond Die another Day first on cable. Then halfway through decided to pull out the DVD and listen to the 6.1 channel DTS-ES mix. I DO NOT remember it sounding like this!!

I am still waiting for some of the "cons" to appear in this thread :wink:

Sounds like you're enjoying the H e l l out of your system there @honestaquarian
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • honestaquarian
    polrbehr wrote: »

I am still waiting for some of the "cons" to appear in this thread :wink:

Sounds like you're enjoying the H e l l out of your system there @honestaquarian

Oh yeah the CONS part!
    Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhh four subs take up more space than one or two???
  • rpf65
    The only con I can think of for multiple suds is more things to dust.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Hmm, cons... well, when I had dual subs there was way too much bass for my small room, which ended up making it kind of muddy and undefined. But I have a small room, so my experience probably doesn’t apply.
    You guys probably have subs costing 10x my entire system as well, so it applies even less :lol:
  • honestaquarian
    edited July 2018
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Hmm, cons... well, when I had dual subs there was way too much bass for my small room, which ended up making it kind of muddy and undefined. But I have a small room, so my experience probably doesn’t apply.
    You guys probably have subs costing 10x my entire system as well, so it applies even less :lol:

@mlistens03
    TURN YOUR SUBS DOWN!!!
    I have stereo subs in my bedroom (2 PSW-200’s in the plexiglass enclosures) and that is what taught me that valuable lesson. Once I turned the volume on the subs way down, they stopped overloading the room and exciting all of the room modes so much and everything sounded MUCH BETTER. My bedroom is very small, hence the overload issue. That taught me to do the same when I started getting more subs in the living room theater system (*well that and the Audyssey set up has you setting them for 75 Decibel volume level which is pretty low*)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 wrote: »

@mlistens03
    TURN YOUR SUBS DOWN!!!
    I have stereo subs in my bedroom (2 PSW-200’s in the plexiglass enclosures) and that is what taught me that valuable lesson. Once I turned the volume on the subs way down, they stopped overloading the room and exciting all of the room modes so much and everything sounded MUCH BETTER.

They didn’t go low enough! By the time I got them to almost perfect, they would cut out completely. I guess that’s my fault for having too big of subs, when I switched back to one, it was better.
    So just saying, if you have giant subs and a pretty small room, then it may not work well. Otherwise, two subs are better in every way (except space saving) but in my 12x13 or so room, two super powerful tens were just too much.
  • honestaquarian
    4 PSW-150’s in the living room and 2 PSW-200’s in the bedroom. Multiple smaller subs almost always work better than larger ones (exceptions to every rule obviously) These are not expensive subs and I got them on eBay used every one.
  • mlistens03
    4 PSW-150’s in the living room and 2 PSW-200’s in the bedroom. Multiple smaller subs almost always work better than larger ones (exceptions to every rule obviously) These are not expensive subs and I got them on eBay used every one.

I know that, but at the time I was planning on getting mains that would cover the bass frequencies better. Now I’m heading towards the idea of a small set of speakers and two small 6 inch subs or something (like the Polk MicroPro subs, those are 8 inch subs, yes?)