Finished my Monitor 10B Stands

Options
Hi All!

It's taken me a while, but I finally put together those stands for my 10Bs. I posted a thread where I asked a bunch of questions and showed my design, but I thought I'd start a new one for the finished product.

I changed my design a little. I found that I could fit it all on a smaller (and cheaper) piece of MDF, and have less left over.

Here is the cutting plan for the new design (using a piece of 450x1800x16mm MDF):

0tgf71orb49q.jpg

If people really want it, I can try to tweak it for imperial sized MDF, but I live in metric land. :)

Anyway, here's the final product:

r46fz26hu1to.jpg

wszwlbnxy9aj.jpg

I glued and screwed the box part together and then to the base, and then I primed and painted the inside (probably unnecessary). I filled them with dried builders' sand and used a random orbital sander with no sandpaper to vibrate it and settle the sand. It's amazing how much it settles! I fit about another two cups in after settling!

I decided to put a little 12mm (~1/2") hole in the top so I can top it up through a funnel if it settles any more later. You can see the hole in the photo. Just for giggles I vibrated them again and tied to put more sand in. I think I got another half a cup in!

Anyway, I think they came up quite nicely, but the main thing is that these babies now sound fantastic! I've got them on spikes into the carpet (it's on a concrete slab). I might experiment with rollers etc in future, but for now I'm super happy!

BTW I don't know if anybody else feels the same way, but these speakers are awesome for classical guitar (I've been nearly transcending with some Steve Hackett).

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    Very nice....well done!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    Options
    Agreed, very nice!!
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Fantastic work!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Outstanding! And terrific photo!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • anton.chigurh
    Options
    I like the look of the classic original stands and you nailed it. Nice work
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Very well done, even if it's cough, cough, metric....
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • bindibadgi
    bindibadgi Posts: 15
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks all.

@la2vegas, they were black when I got them. I assumed they were bought that way. I got them from the original owner (for AU$100 which I think was a sweet deal), and as far as I could tell, he never did anything to them himself.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Those are nice stands, good job.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ^^right that is why I deleted my post. Although they look just like my series 2 with the black veneer.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• bindibadgi
    Options
    Hmmm, very interesting! I took some photos of the guts while I had them apart to JB Weld the magnets, but I didn't take a picture of the ID tag. I'll take one and post it. I thought the tweeters did say SL2500 (no, I didn't JB Weld the tweeters, just the mids :) ) but I didn't take a picture of that either I'm afraid.

The photos of the mids show DEC 6-1988 on one speaker and NOV 7-1988 on the other if that is of interest.

I was curious about the crossovers though. They both appear to say MODEL 10/11T on the board. One of them has a fat blue inductor L1, and the other has a somewhat thinner yellow one. The one with the blue L1 also appears to have a red coating on the windings on the smaller inductor L2. All the other bits appear to be the same from one speaker to the other.

Is that normal?
  • Faustin
    Options
    Post some pictures of the crossovers
  • F1nut
    Options
    The tweeters are SL2000's, no doubt about it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Great job on the stands​!
  • bindibadgi
    Options
    Here are the crossover pictures. I'll get a picture of the back plate when I'm home.

6ebc3mgvfr2q.jpg

5xtj6fnir1u7.jpg
  • bindibadgi
    Options
    I just realised I was just reading L1 on the board without thinking. That's not an inductor! Anyway, now the photos are there everyone can see what I was babbling about. :*
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep, that L1 marks the negative lead of the inductor. The yellow and blue ones (C3) are mylar caps.

Consider upgrading all the caps and resistors.

President of Club Polk

• bindibadgi
    Options
    Yeah I feel a bit dumb, but that's normal for me!

Anyway, here's the back plate if anybody's interested:

xxb65rnnu7r9.jpg
  • F1nut
    Options
    No worries.

President of Club Polk

• bindibadgi
    Options
    So mine are Monitor 10B (not series 2) with SL2000 tweets then?

They certainly aren't Peerless tweets, so they can't be 10A's right?

I'm a sucker for upgrades, so I'm considering some 194s, but I'm not sure if (or how!) I should upgrade the crossovers too, and if so, should I mod them and get 198s instead?

What are my best options, without spending so much my wife will leave? So far she likes the speakers, but if they drain our bank account, her relationship with them may change somewhat ... :D
  • F1nut
    Options
    Do the TL upgrade. Get the 198, Sonicap caps and Mills resistors. Tell the wife to buy herself some shoes.

President of Club Polk

• bindibadgi
    Options
    How did I guess that that would be the advice here? ;)

I'll see if I can come up with a way to make it happen. Are there any pointers on how it's done (or should I just hand the work to a pro)?
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^Easy to do yourself. Do one crossover at a time so you have one for reference. Basic soldering skills are all that is really required.

• Faustin
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do the TL upgrade. Get the 198, Sonicap caps and Mills resistors. Tell the wife to buy herself some shoes.

And maybe a purse. If you keep them distracted, it is interesting how much you can get away with when it comes to audio ****.
  • bindibadgi
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance, but is this the TL-mod (I think I also need to replace the 2.7 Ohm resistor with a 3 Ohm because of the new inductor)? If so, it looks like L2 (the big one underneath) doesn't get touched, even though I'd be replacing all other components, right?

So I'd need the following:
    • 2x 0.5 Ω 5W Mills Resistor (to replace the polyswitch)
    • 2x 2.7 Ω 5W Mills Resistor (do I need a 1.0 and a 1.7 in series for this?)
    • 2x 3.0 Ω 5W Mills Resistor
    • 4x 12 μF Sonicap Cap
    • 2x 34 μF Sonicap Cap
    • 0.27 mH Inductor (which one?)
    • Binding posts
    • extra boards and stand-offs (where to get?)
    • RDO-198 Tweeters

Or do I just get someone to do the upgrade for me? I'm not the world's best solderer. :D