Internet Connection Problems - Help!

Options
2»

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Mark, the airport is a small rural airport that sees VERY little traffic anymore. There is no control tower at that airport, but there is a tower at the University Park Airport, about 3 miles away as the crow flies.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    I have been following this thread. My friend has a similar problem with her WIFI. She has ATT (Bellsouth) DSL. It happens mainly with iPhones and iPads. She is always turning the WIFI off and back on with each of her IOS devices. The re-connection is immediate. I have the same problem when I am in her house.

My iPhone works as it should at my house with Uverse Internet. I never loose a connection.

I have tried to diagnose the problem, but none of the clues I have read about have solved the problem. I have read many forums where people have the same problem. She has a Netgear 7550 modem/router. Our next step is to move the device from a basement room with electrical panel, furnace, etc.

Very frustrating! She is tied to the 7550 via ATT but is able to turn off wireless and implement a new router of her choice.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    scubalab wrote: »
    Mark, the airport is a small rural airport that sees VERY little traffic anymore. There is no control tower at that airport, but there is a tower at the University Park Airport, about 3 miles away as the crow flies.

OK, if no tower probably little if any powerful radar/radio (maybe a beacon?).
    The ATC facility at 3 miles away probably isn't a factor (unless, again, there happens to be a beacon somewhere very close to you -- but those are VHF frequencies, AFAIK).

The electronics (avionics) for our nation's airports are still - decidedly - old school (for better or for worse.

I was mostly thinking of radar, which I reckon could play havoc with 2.4 or 5.8 GHz signals.

• scubalab
    Options
    Update on our internet connection issues...

They appear to have been resolved. We did have a senior tech from Comcast come out on 3/17 and he checked a bunch of things. He actually came back the following week and they replaced all the lines from the pole to our house as well. When he was there on the 17th, he mentioned a something major that had been repaired not far from us a day earlier. He thought it could have been causing the problems, but since I was still having minor issues with our phones staying connected, he wasn't too optimistic.

So, over the next two weeks, our connectivity with all our devices (except my phone) had improved and appeared to be back to normal. However, my phone would still occasionally lose connection, and sometimes turning wi-fi off and then back on would fix it. Well, two days ago, my phone was acting up again. Turning off wi-fi and turning it back on didn't fix it. So, I went into settings to 'forget' the network, and that's when I saw what I think was the issue! It was connecting to our Chromecast Audio over our router!

What I think happened was the Chromecast was never re-setup after we got the last router and it was showing up as a wi-fi connection. I guess it would 'fight' with our router and 'win' on occasion with my phone when I'd get home from work. Once I reconfigured the Chromecast and got it set up properly, it no longer appears as a wi-fi network connection. And bingo, no more issues with my phone staying connected to our router.

I figured I'd share in case anyone else runs into an issue with a router and a Chromecast.

On the bright side, we got a brand spankin' new modem and router that we didn't need...
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Glad you got it sorted Al. Love when they do all kinds of troubleshooting and replacement and finger pointing before taking a serious look at the cable plant. It's as though the plant team is a different company entirely.

Good info on the Chromecast, too. Seems like a lot of devices are operating as their own access points, at least initially, for the setup process? Then you can tell it to join your own wifi network and stop being its own?
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Thanks Scott! That's exactly what the Chromecast was doing - I noticed it blinking a couple days earlier. That should have prompted me to check things. But it wasn't until I actually looked at the wi-fi connection in my phone that I realized it was generating a wi-fi access point that my phone would, on occasion, pick up before our Netgear.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    What's the story on that runway in the photo? Is there a control tower at the airport? I mean, I'm just spitballin' here -- but there are sometimes some... umm... electronics at airports.

http://www.bellefonteairport.com/
  • scubalab
    Options
    That yellow Piper Cub used to take off and bank hard right over our house at what seemed like only a few feet above our trees. Used to scare the bejeezus out of us, and if I understand correctly, was somewhat against the rules.

The airport has gone downhill fast. Hardly any planes flying in or out. University Park airport is only 2 miles southwest.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    ^reported for having a disrespectful last name
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    ^reported for having blasphemous initials
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    ^reported for usage in Chinese food and increasing blood pressure
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Laughing!! Too funny
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    I'm not selling my body. No one would want it.