Thank you Lightman

Options
Willow
Willow Posts: 10,871
As promised, here are some pics of what I did with your karma...

vm88j5ed4kpp.jpg
f10rvewvyfse.jpg
0zicg273a830.jpg

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    B);) Good choice. Enjoy the TT and pre. Turn it up so I can hear it in soth Indiana.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    Very nice, and very nice karma ! :)

BTW, here's a picture of me, not having won, waiting for my ship to come in.

jc45kygiwelu.jpg

...... waiting ............ patiently ....... wait...... ing ......... so...... thirsty........
    Sal Palooza
  • Willow
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm pretty excited. Upgraded to the acrylic platter, not sure if I'll jump to the blue Stylus or just keep the red for now. I was able to spin Chuck Mangioni Feels so good quickly. Tomorrow night it will be pinot noir and turning it up for you, Russ.
    I have not had a table in 19 yrs
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Nice! The RED Cartridge matches that TT really nicely. I use it for awhile before going to the blue.

BTW I change my project carbon to the blue and listen to like 1 side and when I put another one on my micro cloth I was using to put the Record on the TT so as not to get fingers on it, caught my Stylus and snapped it off :(

So I can not tell you the difference :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Willow
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Nice! The RED Cartridge matches that TT really nicely. I use it for awhile before going to the blue.

BTW I change my project carbon to the blue and listen to like 1 side and when I put another one on my micro cloth I was using to put the Record on the TT so as not to get fingers on it, caught my Stylus and snapped it off :(

D'oh! That's an expensive mistake. So what are your thoughts on the Red?

I like the yellow, it adds a nice splash of colour in our room. I'll take setup picks tomorrow.

I've read the blue is a great upgrade, but is it seeing mine is brand new, maybe ill wait until it needs to be replaced.
  • voltz
    Options
    I like the idea of waiting for a bit like you mentioned, the nice thing about upgrading to the Blue is all you have to do is take the stylus off and put on the blue. no need to change out the wholes cartridge.

As for the RED I thought it sound just fine, the blue has a different stylus and that why it sounds a TAD better.

BTW my old Carbon was Yellow also. I upgrade after a few years to a Pro-ject Xeperience classic -which has a blue point #2 cart on it.

The Acrylic platter is a great upgrade as the metal one rings like a bell somewhat.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Maybe check out the HOMC Denon DL-110 great inexpensive cart
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Schweet Karma!

Good on ya Russ & Congrats @Willow !
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    So you are running on his needle? Oh dear, that's scary.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    edited March 2017
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    So you are running on his needle? Oh dear, that's scary.

Tom

Nope. I just helped him fund it. Gear selection was all his doings. Can ya dig it? B)

Edit: Shut up, Tom.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Sir, yes sir. I'll shut up sir.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lightman1
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited March 2017
    Options

I am terrified of doing that with my Clear Audio Titanium v2...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Options
    Again, Russ helped make all this possible with that karma. The table was brand new, a customer return who upgraded. Box was sealed just like new as was everything else. It just so happened that it was the color we wanted too. So saved enough there. Pre was gently used. Bought the platter new along with some cleaning brushes and liquid to get me started. Not sure what I might need next.
    Although it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, are there supposed to be lots of cracks and pops? Yes I cleaned the lp before playing. Is it because I don't have enough down force pressure? I'm not saying there are tons just not sure what to expect.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How old are the records that are noisy? Are they scuffed up? Have they been played on a Crosley or some other super cheap player with a ceramic stylus and loads of VTF? How did you clean them? Some noise here and there is inevitable but most of my records are pretty quiet.

• Willow
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    How old are the records that are noisy? Are they scuffed up? Have they been played on a Crosley or some other super cheap player with a ceramic stylus and loads of VTF? How did you clean them? Some noise here and there is inevitable but most of my records are pretty quiet.

They are all over 20yrs old. They would have been played on an all in one Toshiba system I bought when I was a kid which had a table on the top, an equalizer and dual cassette. I couldn't tell you what the stylus was. They were cleaned with a record cleaning fluid and a velour feeling brush. Some seem very scuffed but I will be replacing those.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    Some of my albums had a similar life. The ones I really like are slowly being replaced with either auction/thrift shop finds or if I really liked them I'll spring for MoFi, etc. Before replacing them you should see if somebody local has an ultrasonic cleaning system and for a fee will clean them for you...won't do much for scratches though.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that those are likely all pretty beat records. Once you start replacing them, if you're not already, learn how to grab the records without touching anything but the label and vertical edge. Also consider getting mofi inner sleeves because paper sleeves scuff your records and introduce static which makes noise as you play and attracts dust like a magnet.

Or just have fun with it and who cares. :)

• Willow
    Options
    I'm sorry to say that those are likely all pretty beat records. Once you start replacing them, if you're not already, learn how to grab the records without touching anything but the label and vertical edge. Also consider getting mofi inner sleeves because paper sleeves scuff your records and introduce static which makes noise as you play and attracts dust like a magnet.

Or just have fun with it and who cares. :)

No... that's all good info. I'll enjoy the ones I have and slowly replace them if they bother me that much. Thanks for the tip on the sleeves, I knew I had glanced at them once but couldn't remember. I'll be looking for some of those.
    I've been tempted to get a pair of white gloves for the records and I'll have to show my wife how to grab them from the edges.

Thanks
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    I've been tempted to get a pair of white gloves for the records and I'll have to show my wife how to grab them from the edges.

And that's when the fight started. :)

Mine used to be able to touch the table. But now that's there's a 1000 dollar cartridge on there it's a don't touch zone. I bought her a cheapie fully auto, audio technica with some powered bookies to use.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• voltz
    Options

I am terrified of doing that with my Clear Audio Titanium v2...

It is one thing to do it with lesser cartridge but still bad enough, but a really nice would have me crying like a little kid who just got his balloon popped by a Crazy Clown.

hope this helps other to never make my mistake happen. It would be easy to accidentally bump the arm and send it skipping across a record and maybe bending the Stylus too.

on new and used records after my 1st cleaning I switch to a MoFI Sleeve's.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Playing records after a few too many drinks is a risky task. I'm shocked I haven't had any "mishaps" yet. Lol
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Willow
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

And that's when the fight started. :)

That did not go over well. I can't get into it or ill get banned.
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Playing records after a few too many drinks is a risky task. I'm shocked I haven't had any "mishaps" yet. Lol

I had my first mishap the other day. Dropped DSOTM as I was putting it back into it's sleeve and it put a pretty decent mark on the record. I'm still p'd at myself.

Oh yeah, and I was stone cold sober.

It pays to consciously slow yourself down when doing anything with your records or TT.

• Willow
    Options
    Slowly been going through and cleaning each and putting aside any that are scratched. But boy I'm enjoying it.
  • lightman1
    Options
    A seed has grown.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Slowly been going through and cleaning each and putting aside any that are scratched. But boy I'm enjoying it.

Hook, line, & sinker. Sucker! Vinyl is tedious and sounds like garbage.

• mikeyb128
    Options

Hook, line, & sinker. Sucker! Vinyl is tedious and sounds like garbage.

Hehehehe helllp meeeee it's sounds so bad!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• voltz
    Options
    Enjoy it Willow! Cleaning vinyl is Therapeutic and good for the soul.