Are LSi15s considered vintage?

Options
And if so what should I look for in auditioning them. I've got a line on a pair and need to jump soon.

Is there a 2nd version (maybe made in Chine vs Mexico) and how do you tell the diff? Is one better than the other and are drivers still available like the Monitors from Polk.

Thanks in advance.
HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    No.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017
    Options
    And if so what should I look for in auditioning them. I've got a line on a pair and need to jump soon.

Is there a 2nd version (maybe made in Chine vs Mexico) and how do you tell the diff? Is one better than the other and are drivers still available like the Monitors from Polk.

Thanks in advance.

Prolly not truly vintage, but just not current.
    Obviously look for damaged drivers or any deep scratches on glossy finish.

Not sure about a 2nd version, or country of origin, but there are 2 slightly different cabinets available. One is a continuous finish that wraps around the sides and front, and one has Seams where sides and front panels meet.

I think the drivers are still available through Polk. The tweeter used is a very easily found Vifa unit or a slight variation.

A great deal in a used older speaker if you can find one not scratched up!
    We have a few pairs of them. Got one set for literally $150.00!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,052
    Options
    Biggest differences are in the finish as noted above. One is vinyl, one is painted. The very first release also had a bezel top to them... But the lsi series has been out since 2000 so they are getting up there
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bezel top example53gv7x5p8rmg.png
    4ajsli2rfyet.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • K_M
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Biggest differences are in the finish as noted above. One is vinyl, one is painted. The very first release also had a bezel top to them... But the lsi series has been out since 2000 so they are getting up there

Both our pairs have the wrap around finish, that appears to be a very thin layer of very glossy black material.
    Are those the painted or vinyl?
    Our are not beveled either. I think 2003 or 2004.
  • VR3
    Options
    The ones that have a continuous finish are painted.

Also, when they are painted, the drivers are basically glued in the cabinet and are very difficult to remove
  • K_M
    edited March 2017
    Options
    7uhr90otjv6f.jpg
    7dgzxi7cgpuf.jpg

Also, Drivers are positioned differently on older and newer variations. Flat edge of woofer aligned with tweeter, or aligned to side of cabinet.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I believe it's 20 years then something can be called Vintage No?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Were the drivers different color from first to second gen? I was thinking so.
  • VR3
    Options
    No, that's rt series, rt35 is black, rt35i is blue, as an example
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    For cars, I think it's 25 years to be classified as classic in TX, For speakers, I've not a clue for when they are considered vintage. Dang, now I have to go home and check if my LSi15s are beveled or not. I think they are.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The LSi9s were by far my favorite two channel speakers from that line. The LSiFXs were also outstanding. I think those would be worth buying as vintage products a decade from now.

I owned a couple pair of the LSi15s and would prefer the LSi9s with a subwoofer over them. To me the bass was boomy and not very well controlled on the LSi15s. I do understand that some owners replaced the woofer drivers with a better version to tighten the low end up a bit.

Any of that line's speakers require a high current amp because of their impedance ratings. The seamless versions were made in a factory in China and to me looked cosmetically to be higher quality than the made in Mexico versions.