Center channel to pair with Polk Audio SDA1 speakers

Options
Please forgive the newbiness here. I am completely new to this.

I inherited a pair of Polk SDA1 speakers. bpubxqhdwyjj.jpg

I have a polk cs10 center channel with a blown tweeter but I can't seem to find a replacement for it. Can someone recommend a good replacement tweeter for this.

Also, is this a terrible pairing with the SDA1's? Should I forget repairing the cs10 and look for another center channel speaker? My Pre-amp is an outlaw 975 and my amp is an outlaw model 5000, if that plays into it.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Setting speaker levels are to balance out the sound in a given room, not for loudness. You should probably never have to adjust those levels off of 0 any further than + or- 3db's.

That center you have is not a very good match for the speakers anyway. An older CS350 would work well or even a RT400.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    Options
    Is that how you have the SDA's set up right now?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A single Monitor 4.whatever 5/JR/+/series 2 with an SL2000 tweeter in them.

...or two of them pushed together if a bit of lobing doesn't bother you in HT.

rlGhTMv.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • schwing
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

No. I just wanted to post a pic of one of these since I am not sure which version they are. I know there were multiple versions of the sda1 speakers produced.

In the actual setup they are 12 feet apart facing straight out (not toed in). The room is 14 feet wide by 22 feet long.
  • schwing
    Options
    Maybe the question I should be asking is why the tweeter blew. My pre-amp and amp are both new to me. The outlaw 975 only has manual speaker level adjustment so I was doing that. When that test tone hit the center channel, it blew out the tweeter. I can't imagine that 5000 amp being under-powered...

I had it cranked pretty loud. I have always heard you should set the levels with the volume up where you like to listen. I am thinking that wasn't such a great idea:(
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If I had to guess I would say the tweeter let go because your 975 was set to high at calibration. I also have an Outlaw model 975. I set my volume at -25 then set the distances and levels. If you need any help feel free to send me a pm and I will be happy to talk you through the subtlies of setting the 975.

In answer to your original question I have found the CS400i to be a great match for vintage Polks.
    Post edited by littlewoodboats on
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,998
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    A single Monitor 4.whatever 5/JR/+/series 2 with an SL2000 tweeter in them.

rlGhTMv.jpg

EIther this or as others have mentioned, a CS350ls, or a CS400 or 400i (which is what @tonyb meant to say...he's getting a little old cut him some slack...)
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I had a CS10 with my SDA2bs at first, did not sound right. I then switched to a CS350 "perfect" its big for sure but sounds great with the SDAs
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,880
    Options
    schwing wrote: »

No. I just wanted to post a pic of one of these since I am not sure which version they are. I know there were multiple versions of the sda1 speakers produced.

In the actual setup they are 12 feet apart facing straight out (not toed in). The room is 14 feet wide by 22 feet long.

If they have a fuse on the binding post cup they are SDA 1's. If they don't they are SDA 1A's.

12 feet is too far, they should be 6 to 8 feet apart, 5 to 6 inches off the back wall and at least 3 feet from a side wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Try disconnecting the tweeter in one of the speakers and see if that helps.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    If they have a fuse on the binding post cup they are SDA 1's. If they don't they are SDA 1A's.
    I was going to say that they were 1As because they don't have the "nostrils" of the SDA 1s.

Isn't part of the conversion from 1 to 1A the plugging of the nostril ports? And the brass plaque for the "Signature" version was to cover-up the plugs?
  • schwing
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

I did just that! The price was right for me and, from what I have read here and in other places, this would be a great match. Thanks!
  • vmaxer
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »

I did just that! The price was right for me and, from what I have read here and in other places, this would be a great match. Thanks!

Glad you got it. Let us know your thoughts when you try it out
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • schwing
    Options

12 feet is too far, they should be 6 to 8 feet apart, 5 to 6 inches off the back wall and at least 3 feet from a side wall.

Indeed you were right. Because of the layout of my projector, I can't quite get them 8 feet apart but pretty close and I was surprised that I can actually hear the difference.

I was getting some vibration from some unknown item in the room and moving them away from the side walls eliminated that as well.

Thanks! Man this forum is a wealth of great info. I often frequent some forums for firearms and stuff and, based on my experience there, I was expecting some condescension here but, so far, just great help and info.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Thanks! Man this forum is a wealth of great info. I often frequent some forums for firearms and stuff and, based on my experience there, I was expecting some condescension here but, so far, just great help and info.

Welcome to Club Polk, greatest forum I've found on the internet. If your attitude is good and you're open-minded (both of which you've shown here), you'll not be sneered at! Lots of good folk with much experience in all things Polk who are happy and willing to share that experience.

Jay
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,050
    Options
    ^^
    This.
    I don't post much, or ask many questions, but I can tell you I have learned an Imperial Arseload of things due to those knowledgeable people sharing
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. These guys will steer you in the right direction and show how to spend your money. :)

My 1A's came with fuse holders and SL1000 tweeters. So there can be some "variations" within models. I believe I remember a revision on the schematic that documents the change to polycaps for tweeter protection.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • vmaxer
    Options
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    ^^
    This.
    I don't post much, or ask many questions, but I can tell you I have learned an Imperial Arseload of things due to those knowledgeable people sharing

And spend a lot of money. :'(
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4