musical paradise dac

Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

Comments

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,227
    will be picking up one tonight, nothing but outstanding reviews from owners.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,194
    Cool, you might want to see if you can have on hand some other tubes to roll in it though.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 6,659
    tonyb wrote: »
    Cool, you might want to see if you can have on hand some other tubes to roll in it though.

Have you heard this dac Tony?
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    i started with upgraded tubes and caps. this 25 lb beast is something special.
  • DawgfishDawgfish Posts: 2,531
    Do tell more......I'm interested in this too!
    let's start with the cons. this thing is big and heavy(25+ lbs.) it will take up a shelf by itself and needs breathing room for that tube that sticks out on top.
    pros. detailed without being harsh, layers of detail in the midrange, which is on the warm side of neutral.
    there is plenty of tight bass. the speed of the dac is fast.
    here's the weird thing, you know how some equipment has the soundstage pushed forward toward you, this thing seems to instead pull you in your chair closer to it....strange.
    i'm not using it in balance mode so i only had to upgrade two tubes and two caps which made the price $1362 going balanced will push the price up more.
    the great thing about this dac is it's tube rollers dream and now you get to roll caps without having to solder. it woke my system up.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,148
    Marvin, sometime soon I'll need to come get my ears on it.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    here's a couple of pics.ygd782jtm44a.jpg
    4io3354z2pw0.jpg
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,009
    Wow looks huge now compared to the product page. What source are you using? Are you using the DAC for the CD? I see Keb Mo there :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
    Using my cayin cd player as a transport
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,304
    Nice looking dac! So you can change some of the caps out to match the tube? The LH labs vi tube dac has something like that but but at a lot more $$$$$.
    Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery
    Living Room Elite SC27, LSI25
    Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

I haven't done any swapping yet.
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 23,901
    Yep2 wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »
    let's start with the cons. this thing is big and heavy(25+ lbs.) it will take up a shelf by itself and needs breathing room for that tube that sticks out on top.
    pros. detailed without being harsh, layers of detail in the midrange, which is on the warm side of neutral.
    there is plenty of tight bass. the speed of the dac is fast.
    here's the weird thing, you know how some equipment has the soundstage pushed forward toward you, this thing seems to instead pull you in your chair closer to it....strange.
    i'm not using it in balance mode so i only had to upgrade two tubes and two caps which made the price $1362 going balanced will push the price up more.
    the great thing about this dac is it's tube rollers dream and now you get to roll caps without having to solder. it woke my system up.

Do you have to discharge the caps before swapping?

They are in the signal path, so no. You're thinking of power supply caps.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
    modwright is now doing mods on the musical paradise dac, I don't know which version or the cost.

Hi guys, RE the Musical Paradise DAC, I actually have MP D2 DSD DAC here, with AKM DAC chips, Mundorf coupling caps and USB input.

I am shipping the first unit today, with the following mods:

Re-biased tube analog stage (optimized for 6922 driver tubes) and replaced signal path resistors with Tantalums.
    Revised power supply operating voltage as part of bias revision.
    Added our own SS High Voltage Regulator circuit to provide rock solid regulated B+ to the tube output stage.
    Bypassed the B+ and regulator rails with MWI custom capacitors.

It sounds MUCH better than stock now!

It is actually a well designed and built DAC. In stock form, I found the soundstage to be too diffuse and the tonal balance off. When I looked at operating bias and where the 6922's were operating on the tube curve, I could see that they were operating in a VERY non-linear region. Once this was resolved, alone, things got much better! I then added our own SSHVR (Solid Stage High Voltage Regulator) with MWI bypass and the B+ became VERY clean and VERY tight!

This translated to tighter and better defined bass and control across the frequency spectrum. The combination now, of proper operating bias, upgraded tube signal path resistors and regulated supply, gives the music a controlled but natural and organic flow.

I am very pleased with the result!

Finished photos to follow.

Thanks,

Dan W.

edited June 18
    here's what dan had to say about the mod.

I did compare it to an Oppo 205 and I was pleasantly surprised to find the sound with our mods to be on the same level as the modified 205. There are some tonal differences, but the level of sonic performance was right on par! Both mods use the 6922 tube and both are optimized for a similar operating point on the tube curve.

I am very pleased and excited with how this turned out! Please contact us if you are interested in learning more.

Mod Price: $500 + shipping.

Thanks,

Dan Wright