Polk SDA 2 speakers receiver and amp advice

Options
rkempf
rkempf Posts: 6
edited January 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I have a set of Polk SDA 2 speakers from a friend of mine. I really new to audio devices can anyone recommend an entry level receiver and amp to hookup? I have no idea what is required. I mostly would use they setup for movies on my tv and a turntable

z9dbbjnhy768.jpg

Answers

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    How big is your room and how loud do you play?

If the answer is not that big and not that loud, then I've had great success with a Harman Kardon 3490 receiver. Pretty cheap on the used market.

If the answer is kind of big and kind of loud, then I would suggest a preamp and power amp combination.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    I used a Pioneer A-656 2x70 rms into 8ohm (probably about 90wpc into 6ohm) for my SDA 2B for many years. Sounded good even when played loud but I always felt the deserve more power. I recently got an old Nad 270 (2x120w rms into 8ohm) power amp and it sounds great. I think powerhouses like the Adcom gfa 555 (200wpc) are popular for driving SDA speakers. More power and high damping factor are your friend.
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • rkempf
    Options
    hochpt21 Not that big and not that loud, just quality. Do I even need an amp? or just a good quality receiver will work fine?
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Good quality are the key words, but yes a receiver would work.

You'll want to make sure the receiver is rated to 4 ohm. The one I mentioned above is high-current, 4 ohm stable, has a decent phono stage and an even better DAC.

If you're looking for entry level...its hard to beat.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • rkempf
    Options
    Thank you , What do you think about Onkyo TX-8410? I know someone that is selling, I belive the impedance can be changed to 4 ohms
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,616
    Options
    rkempf wrote: »
    Thank you , What do you think about Onkyo TX-8410? I know someone that is selling, I belive the impedance can be changed to 4 ohms

yea don't do that switch thing it'll just handcuff you more usually by limiting current.
  • hauxon
    hauxon Posts: 161
    Options
    Correction: Above I said I have a NAD C270 (2x120W) but mine is C272 (2x150W). The C272 works very well with my SDA 2B, plenty of power ...and probably the C270. :)
    SRS 1.2 TL | SDA 2B Studio TL | NAD M51 preamp/dac | DIY SET 300B tube amplifier | Cambridge Audio Azur 851W | Chromecast Audio | RoPieee Roon Raspberry Pi endpoint
  • rkempf
    Options
    Ok so my sister gave me a pioneer sx-251r to borrow will this work until I can afford something that matches up better
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Just a step above a transistor radio.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rkempf
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. Got the pioneer connected and works well for my needs now. I will take all your advice when I ready to upgrade.

Ps these speakers sound awesome!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The SDA-2s, will bring just about any receiver to its knees in seconds, especially with movie sources. They're 4 ohm nominal, and will drop well below that at certain frequencies. If you must use a receiver, try to find one with pre-amp outputs for the front left and right channels. You can add a common ground power amp later.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • rkempf
    Options
    The opportunity came for me to purchase a Pioneer sx 750 tomorrow locally. What do you have to offer about this receiver?
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2017
    Options
    At 50w per channel whats to like. It sure won't drive any SDA's.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jon1511
    Options
    I have a Pioneer SA 8500 and it drives my SDA 2's just fine. Very efficient speakers.
  • pavlograd
    Options
    90DB is not exactly what I would call 'very efficient' speakers. I'd say they are intermediate on efficiency. I'm driving my 1C's with a nice restored Technics SU-V909 with 120watts. They do fine.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    pavlograd wrote: »
    90DB is not exactly what I would call 'very efficient' speakers. I'd say they are intermediate on efficiency. I'm driving my 1C's with a nice restored Technics SU-V909 with 120watts. They do fine.

I have a Technics SU-V909 mines Silver it has also been restored, have had a pair of AR 58s hooked up to it for years I've had a pair of 2Bs and a pair of CRS+'s hooked up to it without breaking a sweat. I believe that integrated is the best one Technics ever made.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)