New TV prospects

2»

Comments

  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,015
    edited December 2016
    My 65" ks8000 gets delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    nbrowser wrote: »
    papatom wrote: »
    Quick update....Home Depot had 8M 45mm screws...only 3 of them. Identical to what came with my wall mount. Lowes had one, but it was 50mm. Since that one stuck out a hair, i used a 5/16 washer to really snug and secure it. Worked like a charm. TV is mounted perfectly.

    I had the same issues mounting my 55 inch Insignia TV to my stand mount...the included bolts weren't long enough so I took one to work to find out what the size was and just took some of the wall. I work at an auto shop so we have extra hardware on hand for cars....figures Insignia would use a normal metric threaded bolt...win win.

    Haha I hear ya. I use a VideoSecu mount. They had every possible size screw except this one. Then again, you had to use those mount adapters since the TV isn't flush flat in the back. So I guess it makes sense.

    Sometimes a little DYI is all that it takes. :)
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    DaveHo wrote: »
    My 65" ks8000 gets delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

    Awesome! Good luck and enjoy!
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    edited December 2016
    28wdrfi1z0jj.jpg
    So after a day of tinkering testing, etc. I'm exchanging the TV for a different unit. I know edge lit TVs naturally suffer from light bleeding (and it varies from TV to TV), but it was absolutely abysmal on this TV. So bad, that not only were the corners bright, but it was bleeding onto the picture itself. Darker scenes were unwatchable in certain aspects.



    I've had other TVs in the past suffer from major light bleed, exchanged them for a second same unit, and had hardly any issues. Here's hoping!
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,015
    What do you have the backlighting set to? From what I read,
    10 seems to be the magic number to prevent this.
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    edited December 2016
    DaveHo wrote: »
    What do you have the backlighting set to? From what I read,
    10 seems to be the magic number to prevent this.

    Had it at ten, went down to 4 / 5 and was still there big time. Thing is, it's ALL over the place lol. Picture doesn't do any justice. It's worse in person.

    We'll see if my exchange is any better.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,518
    I've seen that issue with Samsung and Sony. It seems like it's luck of the draw with some of the panels.

    One of the reasons that the 65" version of my TV that changed to an IPS panel was rated so much worse. Many people got bad units and had serious light bleed issues.

    If you get a good unit, they are awesome. Can you ask the store if you can open the box in the store and check for light bleed before you bring it home?
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

    2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Rotel RB 1582 MKII : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Acryl-It Platter :
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    Well, I got home with the replacement, hooked it up and ran some tests. Near perfect. Hardly ANY bleeding or flooding whatsoever except for the extreme corners butneven that's not too noticeable.

    2nd time was a charm.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    I've seen that issue with Samsung and Sony. It seems like it's luck of the draw with some of the panels.

    One of the reasons that the 65" version of my TV that changed to an IPS panel was rated so much worse. Many people got bad units and had serious light bleed issues.

    If you get a good unit, they are awesome. Can you ask the store if you can open the box in the store and check for light bleed before you bring it home?

    I qas legitimately thinking about that, but it's so damn bright in the store. I bit the bullet, took it home and it was much, much better.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,181
    Samsung uses a variety of different panels, some worse than others and sometimes within the same series. This is why when you buy a Samsung at discount stores like Walmart, your rolling the dice on the panel you'll get. Most brands have certain series that they specifically make to a retailers price requirements.

    A little clouding on edge lit TV's is normal, that pic you posted was horrendous. Some of the worse I've ever seen. You can google up the better Samsung panels and also the ones to stay away from and which series they are in. As a rule of thumb, stay away from the off numbered series, these TV's are specifically made for certain retailers thus the shortcuts are incorporated to match the price required.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

    Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

    Kitchen

    Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 133
    tonyb wrote: »
    Samsung uses a variety of different panels, some worse than others and sometimes within the same series. This is why when you buy a Samsung at discount stores like Walmart, your rolling the dice on the panel you'll get. Most brands have certain series that they specifically make to a retailers price requirements.

    A little clouding on edge lit TV's is normal, that pic you posted was horrendous. Some of the worse I've ever seen. You can google up the better Samsung panels and also the ones to stay away from and which series they are in. As a rule of thumb, stay away from the off numbered series, these TV's are specifically made for certain retailers thus the shortcuts are incorporated to match the price required.

    Oh I absolutely agree. I always buy my TV's at Best Buy. I would never, ever buy at Walmart, Target or Costco. Heck, I wouldn't even order a TV online. Best Buy can now price match Amazon and Crutchfield (and they've done so for me within the past few weeks on other items), so there's really no need to shop anywhere else other than Best Buy, which I have two that are local.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,518
    papatom wrote: »
    Oh I absolutely agree. I always buy my TV's at Best Buy. I would never, ever buy at Walmart, Target or Costco. Heck, I wouldn't even order a TV online. Best Buy can now price match Amazon and Crutchfield (and they've done so for me within the past few weeks on other items), so there's really no need to shop anywhere else other than Best Buy, which I have two that are local.

    I guess it depends on the store. They all vary depending on management. I've personally had some less than stellar experiences at my local Best Buy stores. I've since been using Crutchfield for YEARS now.

    I have had nothing but amazing service from them. I've personally ordered 4 TV's from them and I have yet to have one issue (knock on wood!). When I get good service from somewhere, I become VERY loyal. Even if they don't have the lowest price, I'll still buy from them for peace of mind.

    Honestly, just to avoid the mall, I think I'll stick with Crutchfield! haha.

    I'm glad they are more flexible with price matching now though. Despite the fact I'm not a fan of them, them shutting down would not be a good thing for consumers.
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

    2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Rotel RB 1582 MKII : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with Acryl-It Platter :
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 4,869
    I just ordered the KS8500 version for my daughter from Crutchfield.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

    Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

    Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 4,869
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I just ordered the KS8500 version for my daughter from Crutchfield.

    Well we will be setting the TV up today. Any advise on the settings? It will be a while as we have to completely rearrange her bedroom then wall mount it but will get there.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

    Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

    Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 4,869
    vmaxer wrote: »
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I just ordered the KS8500 version for my daughter from Crutchfield.

    Well we will be setting the TV up today. Any advise on the settings? It will be a while as we have to completely rearrange her bedroom then wall mount it but will get there.

    Got the new TV mounted last night ....finally.

    Out of the box the picture is awesome. My daughters boyfriend was here helping so as soon as we got it connected and went through the basic settings necessary to use the TV they wanted to play on the PS4.

    I really like the picture but will adjust the settings and see what that does, but very happy with the picture as is. Awesome TV for sure.

    I plan to start with the settings from here:

    http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8500

    Thanks @DSkip for posting the link!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

    Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

    Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,015
    OK those of you with the Samsung KS series sets. I have yet to get mine looking good with live sports, namely football. Everytime there is a switch back to live action from a replay, I get a second or two of very noticeable judder before things look normal. Have been playing with various settings to no avail. Anyone else see this? I'm not convinced it's the TV's fault as my hi-def cable box is ancient. If you've seen this, what setting changes did you make to fix it?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,368
    Yes it is more or less your cable box. I have Cox and had problems with their boxes. took like 3 or 4 exchanges before I got a good one. Still need to give it the unplug every now and then.. It's caused more or less from all the junk they add to the signal to keep people from trying to get free cable.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!