Its that time again - speaker stands

Looking for speaker stand recommendations for UNDER 200..... if I can be under 150 that would be preferable....

These are for the Usher V-601's....

I'm ok with 20", 22", 24" (max) tall stands. Prefer to be in the 20, 22 range.

I've seen the Pangea stuff (LS3000, DS300, DS400), and some of the Sanus and VTI RF and DF..

But I'm looking to see what you guys are using and whats you'd suggest. Want something I can fill with shot/sand/both. Internal cable management is a plus, but I'm planning on using 10 gauge wire so doubtful it would fit anyway....

Skylan is likely not an option as they are pricey, and I dont see much from Lovan out there unless its eBay and even then not so much good...

So give me your thoughts....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,034
    DS300 is a steal from AA now. That would be my choice.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    I "may" have snare a set of elusive UF22s....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    DS300 is a steal from AA now. That would be my choice.

Yeah I've seen those. I just dont know how much I like em.

I dont anticipate EVER getting floorstanders in the loft, so a REALLY nice set of stands is basically a REQUIREMENT for me moving forward and should pay dividends for a LONG LONG TIME.

My ears are RIGHT at around 34 - 36" off the ground in there, so something in the 22" range with the Ushers should get me there. And if I get smaller bookies in the future, I just buy some nice thick plinths to go under them and I'm still fine.

I'm leaning toward spending toward the top end and either buying the used Sanus UF22's I found and having them shipped to me....

I just dont know if I like the looks of the Sanus UF's with their textured finish.

I could also go with the Skylan stands which I think look nicer but are quite pricey and actually over my budget.

And if I go that route I may look into seeing what some of those Usher speaker stands cost as they may not be much more than that..... @DSkip would know what those go for lol...
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    DSkip wrote: »
    I would be looking at something that puts the midwoofer more in range with your ear. I've always found this to be a better height as imaging and tonal balance seems to be more appropriate.

Well the problem with taller stands is I start to fight a different fight that has a bit to do with audio and lot to do with WAF.

The halfwall these will be on is 38" tall. If I put the speaker any taller than that it is visible from below. My wife is NOT a big fan of that. Now if its a "little" above I think I am ok, but the higher and higher it gets the less and less thats likely the case.

I'm also concerned how that will play audio wise as the back of the speaker once it gets over the halfwall one would be like 6 feet or more from the downward slope of the ceiling as it drops from the first floor to the second (see pic). The other would be ~4 feet from hitting the other wall so I'm not sure how that would sound.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

But you are right in that if I am going to do this and spend money on GOOD stands, I should probably do it at the right height. I just need to play around with what that is.

I'm also debating being blasphemous and drilling a hole into the Ushers in the bottom to insert a furniture screw so I can physically couple the speakers to the stand.

That decision wouldn't be made till they are here and installed though.

Man I really like the Skylans, and it seems everyone universally does, but I wish the CAD to USD conversion was MORE in my favor than it is now lol....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    "I'm also debating being blasphemous and drilling a hole into the Ushers in the bottom to insert a furniture screw so I can physically couple the speakers to the stand."

You want to isolate the speaker from the stand, not couple it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Blue sticky tack is a good method or securing the speakers to the stands while still decoupling. It acts as a decoupling substance while the stickiness keeps speakers from sliding around.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    So I'm either going to spend 130 on the UF22s and hope I can live w their looks (don't like the fake granite base, and not sure they will look right in my room)..... or have to pony up ~285 for the Skylan stands :eek:......

I'm going to start a new trend...

I know I've got @F1nut behind me teheheheh

#MakeAmericanHiFiStandsGreatAgain.....
  • F1nut
    You won't notice the slightly different color of the base and besides there is a good reason for the material they chose.

IMO, it doesn't look like fake granite.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    Alright.

I'm going to likely go with the Sanus to start. They are cheaper and if I dont like em, I can likely resell without too much if any of a loss.

The Skylan are custom built so they cost about double, and resale would likely result in a large loss.
  • F1nut
    The bases are made from a non-resonate glass fiber plastic resin, which is cast in a mold. I was told by Sanus that due to the material used they could not be made black.

If you absolutely can't live with the base color it is possible to paint them with a textured black spray paint made for plastics. I did that to one pair of my UF stands. It's a bit of work, but came out very well. I'm not doing it to my other pair.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    I will see what they look like once they are installed. It may not be a big deal but until they show I won't know
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Dan,
    Given your concerns with that half wall, and possible sound suck out, have you considered lower stands and tilting the front of the speaker up ? Something like a Mapleshade stand which is more like a plinth ?

My thoughts are it might help contain the sound to that loft area better. Just a thought is all.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dan,
    Given your concerns with that half wall, and possible sound suck out, have you considered lower stands and tilting the front of the speaker up ? Something like a Mapleshade stand which is more like a plinth ?

My thoughts are it might help contain the sound to that loft area better. Just a thought is all.

I did but they are very pricey.

For now I will see how the UF 22" stands work.

Worst case I make my own little ones like the Polk Monitor 10s used. Issue then is kids can knock em over and I'd planned to put the sub between them which when that low to the ground would destroy the soundstage.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2016
    Man I really like the Skylans, and it seems everyone universally does, but I wish the CAD to USD conversion was MORE in my favor than it is now lol....
    If I'd kept the LSiM703's I was hellbent on getting the Swan Diva stands for $99.
    https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/speaker-stands/hivi-acoustics-accessories

I likes those MUCH more than any $100 steel stand I've seen. However the Monoprice one do look interesting as I LOVE the three leg design: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=12281&gclid=CICykL3ao9ACFQgJaQodDo0GyA as I'd already considered making a DIY version of these: https://www.audiophile.org/resim/500/395/902439da5b655ca0b87de666dc9127a8.jpg

I'd already decided that sand filled PVC or composite deck posts with MDF plates sandwiched and covered in damping sheets was the way to go. I actually got the idea for the deck posts as I purchased some scrap pieces at a reduced price to use as bases for a balance beam project for my daughter.
    38a14820-52a9-44b8-b949-0a990aee68f9.jpg
    Also, being a percussionist, I already know those materials are less resonate than steel....I've banged on just about most common materials out there. Great read here on low resonate DIY stands: http://omordicai.tripod.com/hifi/speakerStd.html

The Skland stands use the same concept PVC + MDF + Sand = Low Resonance!

The material cost is not that much and your friend that made your enclosure could made a knockoff. http://www.skylan-stands.com/assembling.html

Square PVC:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=square+pvc&biw=1093&bih=506&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjS0pPd06PQAhXH7yYKHSJmAPkQ_AUIBygC

Composite Deck Post:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=composite+deck+post&biw=1093&bih=506&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY9Mqg3qPQAhUGSyYKHcSxCUIQ_AUIBygC

Vibration Dampening Sheets:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=vibration+damping+sheets&biw=1093&bih=506&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR45C23qPQAhUHLSYKHdCKDXkQ_AUIygEoAQ

A great DIY project for the budget audiophile! LOL!
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    Thanks for the suggestions Walt.

I went ahead and bought the Ultimate Foundation 22" stands I found.

If those dont work, I'm just going to pony up the cash and go with Skylan Stands.

My time is EXTREMELY limited and I DO NOT want to impose any more on my buddy until sometime next spring at the earliest for box #2.

Plus he's SOUTH of Evansville, so its 3 hours one way down there, so I will spend the money to save the time.

So Skylan stands would be a one stop shop for everything. I try to do DIY when I can, but given the time of year and temp all my projects are now inside ones (painting the house top to bottom lol)...

That and he's got the system down lol....

I'm going with the 2 post stands rather than the 4 posts (those get TOO pricey).
  • WLDock
    "Painting the house top to bottom" I know your pain...I'm still not finished with my house remodel...I started last year.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • EndersShadow
    WLDock wrote: »
    "Painting the house top to bottom" I know your pain...I'm still not finished with my house remodel...I started last year.

Today its been the kitchen top to bottom. Will be posting some pics soon...
  • F1nut
    Speaker stands should not have glass plates such as that monoprice stand.

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    F1nut wrote: »
    Speaker stands should not have glass plates such as that monoprice stand.
    Yeah, I thought the same thing when I first saw the Sonus Faber Venere speakers and speaker stand bases: 413sonus.promo_.jpg?itok=WDJWHqtD
    I still want a set of the Venere 3.0!

And I guess these co. did not get the memo? Crazy interesting stuff! Some are always pushing the edge.

http://www.waterfallaudio.com/?lang=en
    WaterfallTheaterResized.jpg

http://www.perfect8.com/point.htm
    perfect8-speakers.jpg

http://www.crystalcable.com/speakers/arabesque-glass-master/
    13562132_1737181183236169_510354_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI4Nzk4MjIxOTkyMzM3MDkyMQ%3D%3D.2.c

mount-it-premium-aluminum-and-glass-speaker-stands-for-home-theater-satellite-speakers.jpg

Yzg1MGMyNmQwZGY3ZmZiZjlmMjdiNGU1NjBiMjkxOWE5sBBXVhV37cRy2BcUvnxYaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZTg1MWQ3YzkxODc2YWEzNzk3OTM4MGVlMWMxYzQxNDcyYmUxZjdjZjYzMmUzZTEzMWY3Nzc1NzIyZGU5YzY0Zi5qcGd8fHx8fHwyNDl4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Liquid-Base-electrostatic-loudspeaker.jpg
  • F1nut
    In reference to those glass speakers, more like a sales gimmick, IMO.

I don't know, I've never considered glass in be inert, but what do I know.

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

I don't know, I've never considered glass in be inert, but what do I know.

But they're so transparent! ;)
  • WLDock
    There are no gimmicks audio....you get what you pay for right?

$100,000! http://www.soulsonicspeakers.com/index.html
    CES-2011-488.gif

The question is, are the tempered glass $100K speakers worth the price any more than ones made with MDF, wood, or aluminum? I guess that's up to the designer and the listener...willing to pay the BIG bucks.

p120151824-3.jpg
    ss%2B-%2B10.jpg

https://youtu.be/9S5NfIJ4yts

From >$200 speaker stands to $100K glass speakers what a crazy thread redirect. Sorry Dan!

• EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    Stands just came in. They are surprisingly heavy and very stout.

I will get some pics up here in a few of them I snapped at work.

I can tell you if I actually fill these with sand, its gonna be a chore given I only have the bolt hole to pour through lol....

But they seem to weigh about 15 lbs each and are VERY stable, so I may not fill them initially (but who knows, it may gnaw at my brain enough that I do it tonight)....

6z8pyp8ty8il.jpg
    3feimiu8mrov.jpg
    cqk5mdgjt3zo.jpg
    Post edited by EndersShadow on
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited November 2016
    I have a pair of the UF stands also. Used clumping type kitty litter instead of sand. Has more mass than sand for a given volume. I used a small, measuring cup to slowly pour the litter & tapped the pole with the handle of a dead blow hammer as I poured to get it to go down. Then every so often, used a wooden dowel as a ram rod to compact it some. IIRC, my stands ended up weighing more than 25lb each after I was done.
  • EndersShadow
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I have a pair of the UF stands also. Used clumping type kitty litter instead of sand. Has more mass than sand for a given volume. I used a small, measuring cup to slowly pour the litter & tapped the pole with the handle of a dead blow hammer as I poured to get it to go down. Then every so often, used a wooden dowel as a ram rod to compact it some. IIRC, my stands ended up weighing more than 25lb each after I was done.

Thanks for that.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to use sand as the kitty liter looks a bit more expensive and well, there are too many options for my liking so knowing me I'd get the wrong one lol.....
  • EndersShadow
    Each one weighs in at 16.5 lbs as it stands (tehehehe)... lets see what they are when I get em filled with sand lol.....
  • F1nut
    I filled one pair of my UF's with lead shot and sand. They weigh about 50 lbs. each.

President of Club Polk

• They look pretty sweet.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    edited November 2016
    Got e mm installed and filled with sand.

For now that's all that's in em, sand.

Maybe at some point later on I will drain em and add shot but from what I saw that can get pricey quick.

All that's left is to buy a 35ft cable for my sub so I can put it on the OTHERSIDE of the couch... wife approved the purchase of a 35ft Blue Jeans LC-1 cable so I'm happy.

Tweeters are a little blow ear height when seated but I plan to tilt the stands upward a couple degrees to adjust that best I can. Or maybe buy two small 2" thick piece of granite or some other countertop stone for the stands to rest on...

Also have some PS Audio powercables incoming for the computers and the APC so I will be running ALL PS Audio AC-3 cables through both setups.

5j338hwylh7l.jpg
    hfnactcw65be.jpg
    zo5ty0pkk160.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Love it bro'
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a