Win10 update problems?

Options
I restarted my desktop last night and there was a large update for it to install. When it finished my desktop became super slow and pretty much non-responsive.

Has anyone else gotten an update in the last 24 hrs and encountered an issue?

Not sure how to try to fix it since it takes hours just for the home screen to load everything.

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    We've done recent updates, and it seems every time, it slows down more. I've also noticed one computer seems to ALWAYS update every time you boot it up. Sometimes, it will take 20 minutes + to do the updates and other times it locks up completely forcing us to completely power it off and on again.

I'm not a fan of Win10, so maybe that affects my true perception of our PCs' speed. Not sure what the fix might be, but we seem to have similar issues, although maybe not as bad...

Full disclosure, I'm a computer dummy...
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I was on the phone with Win support for an hour or more. The computer is so slow that I couldn't do most of the things they asked me to try. But we did manage to get it into safe mode.

In safe mode it ran okay, so she determined that it's a compatibility issue with one of my applications, but not which one. She had be restart into normal mode and open the task manager, and at that point the call was dropped.

I have VOIP, so maybe that was the issue, don't know. I called back and was told they have longer than 5 mins. wait times now, and they will call me when ready.

In the meantime, I am uninstalling my Google drive, which i just downloaded yesterday and I paused my Panda anti-virus. Right now it's starting to run normally again, so it must have something to do with one of those two.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I got the Windows 10 updates as well and no problems. I also have Panda and no problems. Try starting up the Panda and see if it has any effect. If not it may be the Google drive. You also could have a Malware problem. I learned the hard way that you NEED to have multiple anti-spyware apps because they all look for different malware. However you can have only one anti-virus,because they'll interfere with each other.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,368
    Options
    I noticed the big update as well which took more than an hour earlier this week. Says it is version 1607. Only issue I noticed was Norton Antivirus needed to be updated as well since it became incompatible with the new version of Windows 10. No issues after I updated Norton. Google Chrome also came out with a new version a few days ago and an Adobe Flash update.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I ended up on the phone with Microsoft support for an hour or so before we got cut off. Then when I got back with them, once again for over an hour they ended up saying they have to kick it up to the next tier of support level and will call me back tomorrow.

We had it working for a short while until I restarted it then it went back to super slow motion. It seemed to help when I took Google drive off and stopped Panda, but I am not sure that's all it is.

Part two tomorrow.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Still waiting on the call from Micorsoft, but in the meantime, even with the computer super-slow, I managed to uninstall Panda and now it's running very well.

Only using Defender and Malwarebytes at the moment, but will look into more robust virus protection later.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Spybot search & destroy
    Ad-aware
    These are still among the more popular free anti-spy programs
    Got to majorgeeks.com to find more for free and for pay
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    Options
    No problems here on five computers but I have heard of multiple problems. Apparently Microsoft knew of this before they released the update but did it anyway. SMH
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I added AVG free version last night and it seems to be running okay. So far.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think one of the lowest resource hogging anti-virus programs is Bitdefender Free (make sure the free version when downloading). It is also one of the highest rated for protection.

I use it on almost all my machines and it seem to be very light on resources. I use it on several older Core 2 era machines and they run fine.

I don't recommend running multiple malware programs. Malwarebytes is really all you need. Just the free version. It is not active unless you run a scan, so it doesn't steal resources. Run a scan every few weeks or if you suspect something may have infected your system.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    My wife's laptop updated automatically to the latest Win10 update and, even though I have Panda on that, it's running fine. Obviously, it's not affecting everyone that uses Panda.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Options
    I used to use a free version of Panda, but found that it slowly dragged the boot time of my computer down to unusable.

I also uninstalled it and used a different AV solution.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Apparently I wasn't the only one to have a problem with the latest update.

http://www.pcmag.com/commentary/348459/the-massive-windows-10-update-failure
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    frrrrrrrreaking MicroSoft morons.

I grow weary of their shenanigans.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    frrrrrrrreaking MicroSoft morons.

I grow weary of their shenanigans.

That's just 'cause your old and grumpy...lol. Like most of us.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Good point. Excuse me for a minute -- gotta chase some punk kids offa my grass.

;)
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Hooligans we called them in my day.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

;)

Off your grass ?? LOL....you must have a whole High school worth of kids to cover that grass.....and their siblings who graduated the year before.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    I think one of the lowest resource hogging anti-virus programs is Bitdefender Free (make sure the free version when downloading). It is also one of the highest rated for protection.

I use it on almost all my machines and it seem to be very light on resources. I use it on several older Core 2 era machines and they run fine.

I don't recommend running multiple malware programs. Malwarebytes is really all you need. Just the free version. It is not active unless you run a scan, so it doesn't steal resources. Run a scan every few weeks or if you suspect something may have infected your system.

The reason why I suggested using multiple anti-spyware programs is because I have cleaned MANY computers running only one or none.With each successive program I installed and ran,more malware is always found.

I have lost count of how many times I have heard from people who say this particular malware detection program is all you need, or this one gets everything.Then I end up having to clean out their computers,because they get frigged up by malware.

Just remember that you can only have one anti-virus program,because they interfere with one another.

AGAIN ALL OF THE MALWARE DETECTION PROGRAMS-WHETHER THEY BE ANTI-VIRUS OR ANTI-SPYWARE PROGRAMS HAVE DIFFERENT BLACKLISTS.MEANING THEY ALL LOOK FOR DIFFERENT MALWARE PROGRAMS.I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    AGAIN ALL OF THE MALWARE DETECTION PROGRAMS-WHETHER THEY BE ANTI-VIRUS OR ANTI-SPYWARE PROGRAMS HAVE DIFFERENT BLACKLISTS.MEANING THEY ALL LOOK FOR DIFFERENT MALWARE PROGRAMS.I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH

I believe ya, dude, because what's > ALL CAPS?!?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

He was making a BOLD statement... :D:D:D ...ok maybe not so funny
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

;)

Off your grass ?? LOL....you must have a whole High school worth of kids to cover that grass.....and their siblings who graduated the year before.

Marching band ;)

We do have trouble sometimes with marauding turkeys, actually...

16895001336_837128b2a3_b.jpgDSC_3368 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

and...

14412967013_013e8dc908_b.jpgDSC_1571 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Bears!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Crud. I thought it was a really big, strong dog!

:)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

@mdaudioguy
    Having seen as many hard headed as well as just plain naive people as I have over the years who've had their computers taken out completely. As well as their identities stolen. Nevermind all of the other problems associated will bad malware infestations.Such as REALLY slow computers,no longer being able to go online, computers which would start up and then freeze up, computers which no longer even started up properly, had large amounts of music files stolen from them and the list goes on and on. One tends to become a bit passionate about this issue.
    I remember one hard head who had to replace the hard drive in his computer not once,not twice,but THREE TIMES because he wouldn't listen to me about NOT leaving his broadband connected computer on all the time and it got taken out by malware................................... :|:(
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I stopped watching ****. Malware problem solved.

Anyway, I installed Windows 10 Anniversary Update successfully on all 3 PCs at home with no major problem (new hardware drivers). During update/reboot, Windows 10 Anniversary did not like my wireless USB mouse receiver (connected to computer), and it caused the waiting circle spinning forever. Until I removed the USB mouse receiver from the computer, Windows 10 Anniversary Update would stop spinning and completed the installation.
    Post edited by haimoc on
  • mhardy6647
    Options
  • Dennis Gardner
    Options
    The update on mine cured a corruption problem that the previous update caused. It would randomly restart my machine with a blue screen for various reasons, sometimes memory, sometimes hardware corruption. So far this version is much more stable.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • honestaquarian
    Options
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The only issue that I have found is that my iPhone is having a USB driver error. I don't know whether this is a Win 10 issue or an iOS 10 issue as I got both updates within a day or two of each other. Normally wouldn't be a big issue, but each time I want to list pics for auctions, I have to troubleshoot in settings to see the phone in file explorer. The phone charges just fine when hooked up, but the PC simply doesn't see it. This is a pain, 3-4 times every day!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable