Another Pic of the 2 amps.
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Post edited by jrausch on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Damn I didn't see the new Monster amp in person yeat.**** dude how does it sound????
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    Options
    How much that puppy run if you dont mind me asking...not that i cant go look it up but too lazy right now
    Life without music would
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2004
    Options
    $2499 retail for the 2 channel, $2999 retail for the 3 channel. (for $500, why not go 3 channel).

How much does that thing weigh? It's weird that they don't list that on their site. Also, it says that each channel has seperate power supplies and transformers. Wouldn't that mean that you need to have two seperate power cords into the back to reduce the draw out of that one line? Also, it doesn't list out the dimensions for either the 2 or 3 channel amps........porque?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited March 2004
    Options
    And the way they word the power rating is wierd.
    250 watts per channel, 500 watts total with all channels driven

Im assuming thats into 8 ohm. And it clearly states per channel.

400 continuous watts all channels driven into 4 Ohms, instantaneous peak power all channels driven greater than 300 watts per channel/8 Ohms, 500 watts/4 Ohms.

From this quote to me it seems as if it is only stating 200 watts a channel at 4 ohms.

Im hoping they mean 400 watts a channel at 4 ohms but if that is what they ment then why didnt they just say so?

And the lack of full specs are making me feel wierd. But Im off to my local monster dealer to check it out. The price seems to be good if it is a 250 watts per channel amp at 8ohms. And its a steal if its good for 400 watts at 4 ohms. Thats assuming that it doesnt sound like crap.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Options
    we could see some transformer upgrade in the future...:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    $2499 retail for the 2 channel, $2999 retail for the 3 channel. (for $500, why not go 3 channel).

How much does that thing weigh? It's weird that they don't list that on their site. Also, it says that each channel has seperate power supplies and transformers. Wouldn't that mean that you need to have two seperate power cords into the back to reduce the draw out of that one line? Also, it doesn't list out the dimensions for either the 2 or 3 channel amps........porque?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Trying to get that post count up Brett? ;)

There are plenty of dual mono amps that share one power cord, so I don't see that as a problem. The lack of specs and confusing write up does make me wonder though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    You
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    think
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I'm
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    pulling a Sid? How dare you sir!!!! :D

I just don't know the tech part of dual power supplies etc working off one power source........was just askin.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    a buthead:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Bottoms up Bomb.......(and that's a liquor reference you nerd) :p
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    its all good.:D

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    :D

I just don't know the tech part of dual power supplies etc working off one power source........was just askin.

it depends... :cool:

I have no worries:p

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • brettw22
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    1/4twin
    Time to either up the doseage or to start shotgunnin it........c'mon!!!!!! :D
  • warviper
    warviper Posts: 585
    edited March 2004
    Options
    My local dealer does not have the amp yet but says they will soon.
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by brettw22
    Time to either up the doseage or to start shotgunnin it........c'mon!!!!!! :D

I'm back after the distraction:cool:
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    That thing is mammoth! What are the dimensions on that bad boy?
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Jerry brought his new Monster Amp (a very appropriate name!) to my shack yesterday. Started around 2pm and finished up around 11pm, with a break for food obviously. I'll post a comment or two after Jerry has had a chance to put his review together.

We had a blast!:D

A HUGE thanks to Jerry for making the trip and a great time shootin' the breeze, excellant company, and the chance to listen to some new/different gear.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Jerry,
    We're waiting!!!:)
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Sorry for the delay Frank. :( I had to work some extra days because we are closed for Easter. It should be posted this Sunday.

-Jer
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Monster Adcom Shootout - PDF

- Courtesy of Frank Z and jrausch -
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Prop's to Justin for getting this review posted in it's entirety.
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Hats off to both you guys. Great review and stunning results with all the hear say about one vs the other. Not ever hearing neither one drive any speakers with all you read round here i would have picked the Adcom as well.

Spaz
    Life without music would
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Great review! Thanks guys!
  • brettw22
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Very cool review.......I'd only disagree with one point though:

At the end, when you made the comment that "Monster Power brings a lot of bang for your buck to the table," I'd have to say that $1000-$1250 per channel is nothing close to bang for your buck. It's a premium price, so I see potential for them to not sell as high of numbers as they possibly could if the price point was more competitive rather than 2-4x'ing the price of other amps.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Fantastic review. It's good to see the full potential of the Lsi15's exploited with what seems to be a very fine amp indeed. I'm impressed, i didn't have alot of faith in the "Monster" and thought sure it was going to be all show and no-go.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Frank Z
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Brett,
    I see your point, but the amp really does offer amazing performance for the price. Bang for the buck is all relative to the available budget, and if this amp is within your reach, or anyones for that matter I would strongly recommend an audition of your own. I'm looking forward to seeing (and hearing) a multichannel version.

I got say thanks again to Jerry for making the trip south and giving me the chance to listen to a superb amp. He's a great person and has a lot of knowledge to share. Thanks Jerry!
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited April 2004
    Options
    To all:

Thank you for your compliments. :cool:

Work keeps me busy, so I certainly appreciate having you post it Frank. I felt I rushed the review a little, so if you guys have any questions about either amp please feel free to shoot me questions or if you would like more specifications. Monster doesn't post all of their specs. on the website and I would be happy to post them here for ya.

Brett,
    The price was based upon a fully balanced amp design. There are most certainly plenty of amplifier's out there without this feature for a fraction. I have personally become a huge fan of using balanced cables and gear since the Lsi's show large gains with this technology. I am also a huge fan of the SDA sound because of its massive soundstage and the balanced amps take the Lsi's one step closer to this while maintaining a more detailed and focused representation.

For my next review I would like to post something on Sunfire's new True Sub EQ. With a built in room optimizer microphone a balanced input and a sweet new high gloss wood finish not shown on their website.

-Jer