Playing with "Full Range" speakers

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,590
    (assuming you're not here already)... you'd like New England.
    You'd fit right in ;)

We're a resourceful lot (translation: we're cheap, to a fault)!

:)
  • I am a New Englander, and have heard the term Yankee Horse Trader many times directed at me.
    In the beginning years of my sound addiction, "cheap" had nothing to do with it.
    I was just poor.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2016
    As promised/threatened :) last night I hooked up the 269-469s. They prefer a little more power than the Duplexes need to thrive, so I hooked up our trusty (two kids' college years' worth of use under its belt!) push-pull 11BM8 stereo amplifier (the S-5 Electronics kit version K-12M; slightly different than the one sold by Antique Electronics Supply some years back).

Mighty fine sounding.

Listening to VPR's All The Traditions on the MR-67 via that combination even as I type this and it's gettin' the job done.

29620662235_d3cddda44d_b.jpgDSC_5788b by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The (still available) current incarnation of the amplifier (switched from 11BM8 to 10GV8 when, presumably, stocks of the former tubes dwindled):

http://www.s5electronics.com/gtube.html
    dsc00012(13).jpg

13488586713_48da6d8a36_b.jpgK-121 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • I just had an offer to buy back my little glassed in Jolida 10 watt amp that I sold a friend a few years ago. (with the blue LED's under the tubes).
    I also sold him a pair of Pinnacle mini speaker cabs, loaded with KLH model 21 drivers.
    The question is.......Where can I put it ?
  • Here's an update on my full range project.
    I found an online equipment gear company called MCM that has all sorts of stuff, like you used to be able to buy at your local Radio Shack and I found a real nice pair of 4" full range drivers, with cast aluminum baskets, phase plugs, whizzer cones and the works for 19 dollars each !
    I just ordered a pair and hope to have them in hand in about a week.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    I just sold a pair of vintage anlico's to the guy in link below. I can tunderstand a word they say/write but the video suggests they a REALLY into full range speakers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIMuSQxHqg
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • mhardy6647
    That looks like it would be a fun place to spend an afternoon.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Yeah I admire the Asain cultures apparently humility and hospitality, it harkens back to a more civilized time in many ways. Of course there are aspects of those past cultures which are far from civilized by todays standards as well. Interesting group, they have tons of videos and tons of viewers of those videos. Im not sure if they are in the US, Vietnam, or both. I shipped the speakers (2 alnico full range Clevelands that sounded great) to California.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    about 5 years ago my whole crew on 2nd shift were old Vietnamese men and they were all great people to know and work with, but sadly they all retired and left me alone with all the new jerks. ( that was the best of times) B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • I was bored yesterday and took those new 4" full range drivers out of the large vented cabs that I had them in last and put them into some 1980's Realistic 2.5 cabs.
    They bolted right in with no mods.
    A friend gave me a same vintage RCA SA-155 (also Radio Shack) integrated mini-amp recently, so I thought I'd pair them together for a desk top system.
    What a huge difference !
    I'm running my computer through it as I type this......Listening to "Warm SanFranciscan Night" by Eric Burden and can't get over how tight the bass is for such a tiny cabinet.