Is there a way to rehab a bad MW5534 Polk woofer?

Options
I have a Polk Audio MW5534 woofer that produces sound but the sound is quite unacceptable. It came in a LSi7 speaker that had experienced severe shipping damage. The other LSi7 speaker is just fine and fully functional.

Is there a way of rehabbing this woofer, instead of purchasing a replacement?

The bad woofer measures 3.9/4.0 Ohms (and they are rated at 4 ohms). There is no obvious physical damage to the woofer that I can see.

Just to make sure that it's the woofer and not the xover, I switched the woofers... most definitely it's the woofer.

A replacement woofer is likely to run $70+ plus shipping.

Thanks for any suggestions/fixes.
"Is it sirius?"

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You are measuring the resistance of the driver and comparing it to the nominal impedance of the speaker, two different things.

That said, buy the new driver. It's really not much money.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    Club Polk forum members get free shipping. Polk also used to offer parts discounts to forum members, but I don't know if this policy is still in effect. Send a PM to Kenneth Swauger and ask.

I don't think repairing drivers is worth it, unless the driver is one that is out of production and it is impossible to find a replacement. I'd be worried that the repaired driver had other hidden damage and wasn't performing to original spec.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!